Author Topic: Dirty weather!  (Read 3002 times)

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Dirty weather!
« on: December 11, 2016, 08:20:00 AM »
This seems such an obvious question but I've never seen a thread on it and  just wondered how you all deal with your dirty bundles of cockers? 🤔
Walking in the country, Humphrey gets REALLY dirty on a daily basis. OH has fixed up a hose pipe and poor Humphrey has to endure a shower on legs and undercarriage after every walk at the moment - admittedly, he is due a trim and the feathers are a bit long but nevertheless, there's absolutely no way I could leave it to dry and brush it off,even when they're shorter.  When the weather's really cold its a real hassle, we end up with ice in the yard and I worry about him getting cold. I've been trying in vain to just get him to let me dunk his paws into a bucket or bowl of water but he goes balmy and struggles and I end up getting wetter than he is! He doesn't mind the bath but I only use that occasionally when he gets the full works  ;) -don't want him in there all the time.
It just seems such a silly issue really and I'm sure not everyone has the benefit of using a hose pipe, so how DO you do it? Any tips on persuading him to stand in a shallow tub or at least out a paw in a bowl? I've seen so many photos on here where your cockers are posing on light coloured carpets, I'm beginning to think I'm missing something?  :005:

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
Re: Dirty weather!
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2016, 08:29:01 AM »
Henry's feathers are quite long at the moment and he does get filthy,  but I just give him a really vigorous rub with a towel before he gets into the house then the towel goes straight into the washing machine! He's probably still filthy, but that's the advantage of having a black dog.  ;)

We have a shower attachment in the bath and if his absolutely covered in mud I carry him upstairs (wrapped in the mud towel to protect me!) stand him in the bath and hose him down with warm water. Then pop him into his fleece.
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2016, 09:31:24 AM »
I also have a hose pipe ready when I return from a walk.  I feel for the girls as the water is cold and sometimes they do flinch  :o but it is over very quickly.  They then get a rub down inside the house with a microfibre towel.  If it has been raining or if it is really cold they have their Equafleece coats on to snuggle down in.  :luv:
Max (GSP)  always in my heart

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2016, 01:40:46 PM »
A short haircut (not for everyone, I know ;)) and wearing his equafleece while out in a walk keeps Archie from getting too muddy. I just wipe his paws with a microfibre towel when we get home.

Offline Blueberry

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2016, 01:58:45 PM »
Our house is just filthy.  Fortunately we have tiles & laminate flooring downstairs, and Blue's not allowed upstairs, except for a bath.
He loathes being bathed, so it's a right old performance, and he shivers for hours afterwards, even in his Freckles coat, so there's no way I'd hose him down outside with cold water.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2016, 03:24:18 PM »
Our house is just filthy.  Fortunately we have tiles & laminate flooring downstairs, and Blue's not allowed upstairs, except for a bath.
He loathes being bathed, so it's a right old performance, and he shivers for hours afterwards, even in his Freckles coat, so there's no way I'd hose him down outside with cold water.

I do use warm water, -the hose is connected inside (I'm not quite THAT mean!  :005: :005:), but its still a horrible job!  >:D

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2016, 03:54:11 PM »
I do use warm water, -the hose is connected inside (I'm not quite THAT mean!  :005: :005:), but its still a horrible job!  >:D

I am that mean  ph34r  :005:
I just remind myself that the girls go in ice cold ponds and streams quite happily even in the midst of winter. I have no means to link the hose to warm water so I don't really have a choice and I physically could not carry them upstairs.  The hose down doesn't last very long at all and I can do both of them - hose and towel dry in just over 5 minutes.

Max (GSP)  always in my heart

Offline aljeana

• Mollie Magpie
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2016, 10:30:21 PM »
 To be honest when its quite damp as all our walks are either Canal tow paths or heathland my 2 show cockers who have full coats wear their Equafleece suits I upgraded them to with legs this winter as just had the jumpers before but they have so far been brilliant.

The do not restrict them at all they still whizz around & roll over but come back dry & clean apart from 4 feet & their ears.

I also for very wet pouring down weather a set a hurtta waterproof overalls mostly for out on our canal boat expensive but if you know you are going to get drenched again brilliant all tummy & leg feathering are well protected so again dry clean dogs apart from feet & ears.

The added bonus to either is dogs are dry so if you do have to leave them to go off to work you know that you are not leaving them damp to dry out in their beds

Aljeana & the Baddley Pack

Offline Loony Lola

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2016, 08:56:44 AM »
Very interested to read this. ...which equafleece would you recommend please. ..is it the one with four legs or two ?  Lola desperately needs one just need help keeping her still to measure her  :005: Vickie

Offline MacTavish Boys

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2016, 10:12:43 AM »
The boys have the jumpers and the 4 legged version, personally in order to keep Lola clean and dry, i would go for the 4 legged version ;) they are an absolute godsend and they ae still able to run around chasing balls :D
Stephanie, George and Hamish xxx
George'n' Hamish's Mum

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2016, 06:05:09 PM »
Many thanks everyone! We do have the standard equafleece but the four legged waterproofs sound like a really good solution. Good job its nearly Christmas ;) Thanks!!

Offline aljeana

• Mollie Magpie
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2016, 01:42:46 PM »
These are my girls last year in their Hurtta suits

Rosie is wearing a Red waterproof fleece Hurtta overall
Amy & Jodie are in the Waterproof Hurtta overalls you can see how they can still run around really happy in them

Aljeana & the Baddley Pack

Offline MacTavish Boys

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2016, 03:24:16 PM »
The girls look fab  :luv: :luv: The Hurrta overalls are great. we have these as well as the Equafleece :shades:
Stephanie, George and Hamish xxx
George'n' Hamish's Mum

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2016, 09:27:56 PM »
Those look great! Thanks!!

Offline Loony Lola

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2016, 09:05:52 AM »
Have ordered Lola a four legged Equafleece  .....think I might be more excited than she is though  :005: :005: .....it's the little things !!!!!