Author Topic: How does their coat change after neutering?  (Read 2802 times)

Offline princeypot

How does their coat change after neutering?
« on: December 23, 2016, 04:45:19 PM »
i keep reading that a cocker's coat changes after neutering...is that true?
If so, what changes?

Offline lescef

Re: How does their coat change after neutering?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2016, 05:04:08 PM »
Hi. I think the majority of coats do change. I've only ever had bitches but Maddie's has become coarser and thicker. It has lost its silkiness but has stayed straight. Bramble's, on the other hand has become curlier, especially on her legs. It has become thicker but she didn't have a heavy coat to begin with so it's not so noticeable. Generally, it means they cannot be hand stripped and have to be clipped or coat kinged. Not sure about male dogs, but presume it's much the same.
Lesley, Maddie and Bramble

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2016, 05:05:12 PM »
I found Jinley's changed about 12 months after being spayed into a thicker more dense hair.  she was hand stripped previously now she has to be clipped

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2016, 05:35:08 PM »
Henry's coat is still very silky but with a soft curl - he looks like he's been at the crimpers! I never planned to hand strip him so I'm oaky with the that.
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline princeypot

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2016, 12:45:48 PM »
thanks for the replies

Offline Redked

• Donator
  • Beautiful Bonnie Boo (formerly The Destroyer)
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2016, 01:04:46 PM »
Bonnie's coat didn't change at all. She was speyed around 14 months old and is nearly 4 now. OH started giving her fish oil months before her spey and he swears it was that but I just think we have been lucky. Her coat is still glossy and sleek. She is a worker so their coats tend to be thinner anyway but I have no idea really. I was expecting it to change as most do become coarser or more fluffy.

Offline hoover

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2016, 09:43:13 PM »
Ollie's coat has not changed yet after 6 months of neutering (neutered at approx 11 months). We half wondered whether that was because he is half worker / half show, or perhaps because we've kept him on a junior dog food until recently which had pretty high levels of protein and fats.  My aunt believes the age at which they are neutered affects changes - they got their female worker neutered at a pretty young age and struggled with her coat all her life after that.

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2016, 10:21:10 AM »
My girls were spayed after they had had two seasons so were well over two years old when neutered.
For a year I thought I had been lucky as there were no changes in their coats but gradually they did alter  :-\
My blue roan hasn't been so badly affected but my solid black has become quite woolly, particularly her tummy and feathering.  They have never been clipped though as I manage their coats with a coat king and comb/rubber band.  They never look as sleek as they did when they were younger but I do like the natural look.
Max (GSP)  always in my heart