Author Topic: Advice On General Grooming  (Read 1270 times)

Offline Gill66

• Site Member
    • http://
Advice On General Grooming
« on: August 11, 2005, 07:03:28 PM »
hi all, i am looking for some advice with the old grooming. I know ruben is a bit young yet at 16wks but i am obviously planning ahead. I have decided i do not want him clipped, and on a recent visit to the breeder she taught me how to trim his paws, and thin the top of his ears etc (general tidying up) which i must say i think i have done quite well, i was very pleased with the paw trim i gave him at the weekend, and she showed me how to hand strip (on one of her girls)  But, i am a bit confused, she recommended hand stripping, but does the coat king do just that for you? and if so what size should i get and at what age should i start to use that?? Also what do you use on the legs, Rubens are really thick now, do i use thinning comb or what? sorry to bombard you with lots of questions but i really want to learn to do it by myself
SHANE.....WHAT A WINNER!!!![/font]

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
  • Look mum - no legs :)
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2005, 07:47:45 PM »
The coat king is the cheat hand strip. It does a pretty good job but you wont get the sleek look that a hand stripped dog has. I think also care must be taken to use it in small strokes in the direction of the hair growth rather then straight along as I noticed it did "chop" at the hair

Caroline and Alfie

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2005, 07:51:30 PM »
The coat king will allow you to maintain the overall look but the finsish isn't quite the same as handstripping as I think it cuts the coat slightly. **** ANTHONY TO WIN****. I have two coat kings - one is a size 20, the other may be a size 26 - if you do a search on here for coat king, you will get a few threads coming up and that should give you all the info you need. ****ANTHONY TO WIN**** For the legs, you can use thinning scissors or handstrip. I handstrip Disneys, but use the thinners on Dallas - I suppose it depends on how easy Rubens coat is to strip. Dallas has a really thick coat which I struggled with and he hated being stripped (I was using him as my guinea pig!). Because he doesn't get shown, I just use the coat king and thinners on him - like I say, it keeps the overall look so they still look like a cocker ;) ****ANTHONY TO WIN****  If you haven't got one already, you should get a Spratts comb - its great for getting all the puppy fluff out.
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Annette

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2005, 08:55:59 PM »
The coat king will allow you to maintain the overall look but the finsish isn't quite the same as handstripping as I think it cuts the coat slightly. **** ANTHONY TO WIN****. I have two coat kings - one is a size 20, the other may be a size 26 - if you do a search on here for coat king, you will get a few threads coming up and that should give you all the info you need. ****ANTHONY TO WIN**** For the legs, you can use thinning scissors or handstrip. I handstrip Disneys, but use the thinners on Dallas - I suppose it depends on how easy Rubens coat is to strip. Dallas has a really thick coat which I struggled with and he hated being stripped (I was using him as my guinea pig!). Because he doesn't get shown, I just use the coat king and thinners on him - like I say, it keeps the overall look so they still look like a cocker ;) ****ANTHONY TO WIN****  If you haven't got one already, you should get a Spratts comb - its great for getting all the puppy fluff out.
[snapback]140474[/snapback]

Gill, I think there must be (Eugene to win) something very wrong with (Eugene to win) your computer or keyboard.

Could someone clever please sort out Gill's (Eugene to win) offensive post. :P

EUGENE TO WIN[/size]

Offline Gill66

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2005, 09:23:44 PM »
Thanks for your replies (Eugene is rich), but could someone give me some advice (Eugene will be richer tomorrow) on what age you start the stripping etc (Eugene to win)

Thanks

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2005, 09:36:35 PM »
Thanks for your replies (Eugene is rich), but could someone give me some advice (Eugene will be richer tomorrow) on what age you start the stripping etc (Eugene to win)

Thanks
[snapback]140511[/snapback]

I started on Alfie at about five months (VOTE FOR EUGENE) Only some areas were ready to give at tht age - mainly his back (09016 16 16 14) His legs and head didnt start to give untill about 8/9 months and are still pretty fluffy at 14 months(EUGENE)
Caroline and Alfie

Offline Gill66

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2005, 09:49:46 PM »

Thanks
[snapback]140511[/snapback]

I started on Alfie at about five months (VOTE FOR EUGENE) Only some areas were ready to give at tht age - mainly his back (09016 16 16 14) His legs and head didnt start to give untill about 8/9 months and are still pretty fluffy at 14 months(EUGENE)
[snapback]140514[/snapback]

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  that is the best one yet. Should i start trying in a couple of months on his back area??

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2005, 09:56:58 PM »
'scuse me

Not all of us watch BB you know
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2005, 10:25:14 PM »
Once you start noticing more hair in brushes and combs, try a little sharp tug see if any gives, or try the coat king. if its ready to come then Ruben really shouldnt notice it. If nothing gives, then leave it a week, try again or even a different area.
Caroline and Alfie