Author Topic: Trimming paws  (Read 2153 times)

Offline RobinRed

Trimming paws
« on: January 07, 2018, 01:07:36 PM »
Hi, I’ve just been having a good feel of Harry’s paw pads, he’s so relaxed after his country walk this morning he’ll let me do anything 😊😊. He’s a non working wcs so I’m not expecting to take him to the groomers. My old girl is a show type so I’ve always left feet trimming to the groomer on her 6-weekly visit.  Harry has got really hairy feet, long and fairly fine, bit like a hobbit 😂. I’ve noticed that between his pads, even after his bath, he has little muddy matts. What should I do? should I trim the hair? They are very small matts at the moment which I’ll probably tease out gently.  Harry is 6 months old.

Many thanks for any advice 😊

Offline its.sme

• Not trained to the Gun, just trained to my Mum x
Re: Trimming paws
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2018, 06:05:52 PM »
Personally if your not that used to trimming between his pads , I would leave it to a groomer to do as at 6 Months old you don't want him to become scared of having his feet trimmed.

I would get them trimmed out as soon as possible, I've had it described as having a stone in your shoe that you can't shift  >:(

You also don't want him to start licking at his feet and making them sore or creating a habit.

Good luck,

Sharon.

Offline RobinRed

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2018, 06:52:45 PM »
Thanks Sharon For the advice - I’ll get him booked up at the groomers.

Should I be getting anything else groomed do you think? His coat is quite short,  very smooth and silky. He’s happy to be brushed all over every evening and has regular bath/shower after his muddy walks.
Thanks again.
Liz

Offline Leo0106

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2018, 06:02:48 PM »
Hi Liz,
I have had my working cocker groomed once, mainly because he REALLY hates me even trying to run a brush lightly over his back let alone anything else.. Leo really suffers from getting Matts behind his ears and I got so fed up with them that I took him to be groomed... he also has a very silky soft coat but still has lots of 'puppy fluff' so I had that hand stripped. 4 months on and he is just as fluffy... so the hand stripping didn't get rid of the fluff  :005: so I'll be taking him back soon, I'll probably get him done every 6 months or so but I would say do it asap if you do decide to do it. Leo was quite old the first time we took him and he did well but if I'd have known I was going to have him groomed I would have taken him earlier to minimise worry and stress

Offline its.sme

• Not trained to the Gun, just trained to my Mum x
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2018, 06:04:23 PM »
Bea is a Show like your girl, so I signed up to regular visits to the groomers and boy dose she need them  :005:

I'm sure there will be some WCS owners on soon, but if your happy with him then he's probably best left alone, saying that he might like the pampering  :D

Sharon.

Offline RobinRed

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2018, 10:13:52 PM »
 :D He’d certainly like the pampering he loves all the attention  :luv:. My show type girl Missi has always been clipped but I really don’t think this would work with Harry’s coat so I’ll have to see if there are any handstrippers locally as you suggest.