Author Topic: Best blade for very matted dog  (Read 2517 times)

Offline minimoo

• Donator
Best blade for very matted dog
« on: April 05, 2019, 01:32:11 PM »
Hi I was wondering if any groomers on here can recommend a blade that will actually cut through a badly matted dog, his legs and chest are very matted as he hates them being done, i dont want to put him into a groomers as hes such a drama queen. we have andis clippers. i would be grateful if anyone has any advice. we have 3 cockers and dont have a problem with the other two. thanks
Julie owned by Ella, and Bailey the mud monster and little Milo.   R.I.P Kizzy 19.04.97 - 16.06.11, the start of my love for the wiggly ones and Bruno my lovely brave boy

Offline Gazrob

Re: Best blade for very matted dog
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2019, 02:33:58 PM »
I took my dog to the groomers for the first time yesterday. He didn't enjoy it very much but I stayed with him while he got clipped. He was put in a harness so he couldn't get away. I held him and stroked him while he got done. I wouldn't have been able to do it in my own. It was hard enough with the two of us. I recommend you take him to the groomers especially if you think he's going to be difficult. He got used to it after a while. She did a far better job than I ever could.

Offline lescef

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2019, 08:10:46 PM »
I am not a groomer so this is only my own experience . I think it's better to brush out or comb as many of the knots if  possible so the blades can cut through. I keep my two very short so they mainly  only get small knots under their armpits. I find a ten blade can usually get underneath the knot and close to the skin. Hope that helps.
Lesley, Maddie and Bramble

Offline Barry H

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2019, 08:52:14 AM »
As lescef has said, initially I'd be tempted to do it thusly:

1 By hand, teasing out as much as you can before resorting to cutting.  Less stress for the dog.  Have a look on Amazon (or Google) for Wahl spray detangler/conditioner - it's good stuff and will help lubricate (smells nice, too). 
2  Then a combination of a wide toothed steel comb and sharp scissors (blunt ended) followed by
3  A mat breaker as a last resort.  I'd avoid the cheap multi-blade mat breakers as the blades aren't sharp enough to avoid pulling.  I have one of these if the worst comes to the worst and can recommend.  Reversible and spare blades are available: http://www.diamondedgeltd.com/show-tech-mat-buster-coarse-c2x22347619  Go gently.  Try not to pull but let the blades do the work.
4  Best tool is patience.  Don't go mad!

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2019, 09:46:22 AM »
I use a 7C on my guys. They do occasionally get quite badly matted and it can be quite a time to gently work throuh the matt.

Ive invested in a grooming table which makes the task very much easier though it still takes two of us if the matt is in the “nether regions”  :lol2:

Hope that helps

Offline minimoo

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2019, 10:45:52 AM »
thanks all , i will look at some of your suggestions ,and order a matt buster too

Julie owned by Ella, and Bailey the mud monster and little Milo.   R.I.P Kizzy 19.04.97 - 16.06.11, the start of my love for the wiggly ones and Bruno my lovely brave boy