Author Topic: Preparing a puppy coat for the show ring  (Read 2981 times)

Offline Holly Berry

• Donator
  • Today I’m going to be a b****r
Preparing a puppy coat for the show ring
« on: May 11, 2019, 03:45:03 PM »
Although I’ve owned and groomed my own cockers for nearly 30 years, this will be my first foray into showing.

I’ve looked at quite a lot of videos on YouTube and on breeders websites, but I can’t find one that gives clear enough instructions for preparing a puppy.

Anise is 9 months old, has had her first season and whilst I’ve got a lot of fluff off her using the comb and elastic band method, there are still quite a few stubborn areas on her her front legs and back legs. I’ve used chalk and finger cots, but it’s still quite stubborn. I also attended a course several years back on hand stripping so I’m happy with the technique, it’s just what she should look like. For the show ring is some scissoring acceptable on the front neck and leg feathers.

My request is, could any show person give me any tips and photos of what a puppy show coat should look like, please. At the moment she looks like a busted mattress.

Unfortunately here in Kent I don’t know of anyone who shows. My Ringcraft group has Clumbers, Brittany and Sussex spaniels but not Cockers. I was going to enter her into the South of England Gundog Club Open Show, but I didn’t feel confident enough to enter. Perhaps I should have done for the experience, but it could also have knocked my confidence in preparing her.

She’s also Black and Tan and I would like some advice in due course please, as the tan on the inside of her hock is giving the illusion of being bow legged.

Thanks in advance
Rosie Cassie Lucy Poppy and Holly My Angels at the Bridge

Offline Jessie_Pup

• Donator
Re: Preparing a puppy coat for the show ring
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2019, 05:36:44 PM »
Hi I take Muffin to Poochs in Chelmsford might be too far for you.  Hannah Bowles a top cocker spaniel groomer both international and uk groomer at competitions.  People do travel to her to have their cocker spaniels handstripped for showing and sh also does 1-2-1 with you .

Good luck. Erica.

Offline Holly Berry

• Donator
  • Today I’m going to be a b****r
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2019, 07:37:04 PM »
Hi Erica, thanks for your reply.

I feel I’m ok with the hand stripping, I was really looking for advice on what a puppy should look like. Most photos are of adult dogs, showing defined feathering and skirt, but the puppies just seem to be a bundle of fluff, with really heavy coated legs.

I’m probably going to go with a friend to the S of E show and there are quite a few cocker classes and see if I can get an idea. Mind you by the time the next show comes along, she may be too old for the puppy class!!
Rosie Cassie Lucy Poppy and Holly My Angels at the Bridge

Offline Barry H

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2019, 08:36:08 AM »
At 9 months I doubt her coat is mature enough to properly handstrip anyway.  You can only do what you can do, so provided pup is presentable I'd be happy.  You could scissor any 'wispy' bits and maybe the tail end if it needs it, but beyond that I'd leave well alone.  A judge will (should) know what to look for and no amount of faffing about with a young pup's coat will (should) matter.

Don't worry and just go for it!

Although I don't show the urge has always been there but the time hasn't, sadly!  Nevertheless, I've always kept Jack (now 4) in a show trim.  Lots of work, but worth it.  ISTR he was about 18 months before I could properly strip him. 

Here's a pic of him at 6 months (if it's any help!).  And yes, I would have shown him looking a bit like a badly filled mattress with his punk hairdo.  That's how he was!  (Though I would probably have trimmed his whiskers for a cleaner look).

Good luck!

Offline Jessie_Pup

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2019, 02:39:39 PM »
Hi Erica, thanks for your reply.

I feel I’m ok with the hand stripping, I was really looking for advice on what a puppy should look like. Most photos are of adult dogs, showing defined feathering and skirt, but the puppies just seem to be a bundle of fluff, with really heavy coated legs.

I’m probably going to go with a friend to the S of E show and there are quite a few cocker classes and see if I can get an idea. Mind you by the time the next show comes along, she may be too old for the puppy class!!
she will help you with that and how to get the best look. She grooms a few spaniels that show and onemthat was highly placed at Crufts.