Author Topic: Is a weekly bath ok?  (Read 3609 times)

Offline fluffykins

Is a weekly bath ok?
« on: October 09, 2021, 11:15:03 PM »
Hi everyone,

I have a very active 8 month old male Cocker who enjoys the beach, mud, puddles and rolling in all sorts.

Is a weekly bath with a reputable dog shampoo okay?

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
Re: Is a weekly bath ok?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2021, 11:21:28 PM »
I wouldn’t - your dog needs the essential oils in their coat to help repel water and dirt.  The more you wash them the more you strip the coat of its oils.

The only time ours are bathed is if they are cold with mud and that’s just a warm water rinse.  Fox poo and goose poo - I do use shampoo but it’s unscented and gentle.  I have bathed one dog, once, this year post goose poo  ph34r otherwise the four of them are left alone, we are headed to mud season which means they may be swilled off after a days work.

Online bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2021, 06:12:25 AM »
I very often have to rinse Humphrey’s feet and paws and sometimes his tummy as he gets very muddy, we’ve got a hose pipe set up by the back door. I do, very very occasionally bath him but don’t like using too much shampoo or anything perfumed, as Pearly says, it strips the coat of oils and as Humphrey‘s coat is fine, it flies everywhere and becomes static. Also, dogs rely heavily on scent for communication and I imagine they‘re probably not overjoyed about smelling like roses  :lol2:, I have heard others say that it encourages the dogs to roll even more in an attempt to disguise the smell  :shades:
A good brush once the coat is dry will get rid of a lot of dirt.  :D

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2021, 07:44:05 AM »
I have never bathed any of my dogs  :shades:

The closest I got was when Braan decided to turn from brown to green  :020: by rolling in cow pats  >:(  we were a good way from home and had a good hour car journey to get back) thankfully he was ball obsessed and I threw it into the loch for him to retrieve which cleaned him up for the car journey home

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2021, 08:44:18 AM »
I'd say a weekly bath is too often! It will remove the natural oils from his coat and dry out his skin to bath him that much.

If he rolls in stinky things, then maybe wash the area with a very diluted shampoo, but generally, just a rinse under the hose is best if he's just muddy.   ;)

Julie and Watson

Online MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2021, 11:23:46 AM »
Gemma is one for scenting out stinky water. We just keep walking until we find clean water to throw her in. ( she won't volunteer to go into clean stuff).  A family secret though, we have been known to " borrow the neighbours bath" when  we were key holding because she was too awful to go in ours. 😬😬😬
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Online bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2021, 12:12:42 PM »
Gemma is one for scenting out stinky water. We just keep walking until we find clean water to throw her in. ( she won't volunteer to go into clean stuff).  A family secret though, we have been known to " borrow the neighbours bath" when  we were key holding because she was too awful to go in ours. 😬😬😬

:005: :005: Min, you‘re wicked!!  :lol2: :lol2:

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2021, 01:02:23 PM »
You are an evil genius!  :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

Offline fluffykins

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2021, 06:04:45 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys!

Offline MrsFlintstone

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2021, 06:15:52 PM »
I have an 8 month old muck magnet too, I shower her once a week and her coat and skin are fine, I use herbal dog shampoo. She has her paws rinsed in between and on wet days we use an equafleece which is a god send.

Bonny is a show type cocker and has a beautiful long coat so takes a fair bit of maintenance, also I'm soft and let her sleep on our bed so feel it's important to keep her clean  :D

Offline ips

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2021, 08:53:09 PM »
Ours sleeps on the bed also.....but shhhh, dont tell anyone because she is a working dog 😁😁
Muddling along in the hope that one day it all makes sense.

Online MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2021, 08:48:27 AM »
Ours sleeps on the bed also.....but shhhh, dont tell anyone because she is a working dog 😁😁

My working girl sleeps in on the bed. Well, she needs a good night sleep to be ready to go in the mornings
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline ips

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2021, 09:14:14 AM »

My working girl sleeps in on the bed. Well, she needs a good night sleep to be ready to go in the mornings

Good point 😃👍
Muddling along in the hope that one day it all makes sense.

Offline AndyB

• Donator
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2021, 06:51:16 AM »
Once a week is definitely far too often.  As others have said bathing too regularly will strip the coat of its natural oils.  Maisie is bathed perhaps 3/4 times a year with a good quality special dog shampoo and conditioner.  Always bathed before a holiday but otherwise only when she seems a bit whiffy.  I just wash her paws and underneath feathering in my Belfast sink in the utility room if she gets particularly mucky in winter. 

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2021, 07:27:49 AM »

Ok guys so that’s where I am going wrong with my worker - she starts off in her bed and joins us in the night - no wonder she gets me up and is raring to go in the morning  :005: