Author Topic: I took my dog to be stripped and they have clippered him :(  (Read 1835 times)

Offline Scotsco

I took my dog to be stripped and they have clippered him :(
« on: January 22, 2022, 04:45:58 PM »
Really disappointed. My groomer has aleays hand stripped my dog. But last time i went i got the impression they did not want the hassle, so had a 20 minute conversation and caved in and said strip his back and clipper his underside (his tummy) and legs. As he is quite high maintainance... so it would have helped me out also. Anyway i dropped him off today and reconfirmed i did not want his back clipped only his underside....

Well they have clipped him head too toe!!! :( i loved his coat before but now in my opinion he looks awful and not like a cocker at all....

Has anyone successfully managed to save a clipped coat? He is 2 years old and this is the first and only yime he has been clipped.

Thanks in advance

Offline phoenix

• Donator
Re: I took my dog to be stripped and they have clippered him :(
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2022, 07:36:13 PM »
Oh how infuriating! They should have appreciated how hard it was for you to compromise with a half clip.
My Bobby in my avatar, not neutered, was incredibly thick coated. It would have been impossible to hand strip him because of his difficult temperament. The shiny quality of his clipped coat stayed .  Some groomers had ideas that the chest should look like a sharp rectangle, which I trimmed away myself.  The texture of the hair was also ok. The annoying thing was having hair all the same length, rather than a soft mixture of natural ends.  So when it regrew it’s was always too thick looking.
I found a wonderful groomer who produced wonderful puppy clipped cuts, keeping ears and feathers.  She was trained to hand strip but said that it took hours for the dog, her fingers, and a bigger bill. She claimed it wasn’t fair on the dog to stand all day and compared it to having our eyebrows plucked.  Do the answer is let it all grow back , and have puppy cuts  for a year.  Thin the coat with Mars coat king and thinning scissors.  With the clip, look out for matting under the armpits.
A good groomer is vital, ask other owners .  Soften the severe look.
A thick coat does have to be kept under control, especially those feet!
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
Re: I took my dog to be stripped and they have clippered him :(
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2022, 06:24:23 PM »
Gemma is really fine haired. She has always been clipped. Although never on her back because it does not grow. Every where else grows like fun. Her coat texture has never changed.
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----