Author Topic: Loki….God of Mischief!  (Read 2765 times)

Offline Gordona

Loki….God of Mischief!
« on: December 04, 2021, 07:04:38 AM »
Hello,

I’ve just joined the forum due to having a working cocker puppy, Loki. He’s just about to turn 14 weeks and after many times the family and I have had puppy blues, now they are gone and replaced with puppy love!

New to owning a working cocker but did loads of research before we made the decision to get one. We had to, as we also have a 9 year old African Grey called Oscar. I had to understand if both could live in each others space, and they are doing just grand (never out of their cage/crate at the same time).

The thing I’ve taken from the research was to install a good routine and start training as early as possible. So we did and have been blown away at how smart spaniels are. He understands most commands and is working really well to a whistle. A 10m lead will be with us on Monday to really test that recall. Once he’s a bit bigger we will train him to the gun and take part in shoots etc. Already have a fab gun dog trainer set up to help us with that! Can’t wait!!

I look forward to asking you all loads of questions along the way as we navigate a crazy bonkers but wonderful journey, with our cocker!

Dona and Loki x

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
Re: Loki….God of Mischief!
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2021, 03:37:50 PM »
hi,
welcome to the club. I am owned by Gemma wcs aged almost 11. We trained her ourselves to be our gun dog. she comes beating with us, she will retrieve but as she is tiny she struggles with big birds. she is our first spangle but not our first dog. 
we had to stop attending dog training because she wouldn't pay attention, far to busy at getting her nose down and sniffing out the floor.  we like attending country shows and fairs, dog shows etc. here there is to be found plenty of free advice. we took it on board and out it into practise our way. she has done us proud over the years and we take great pride in watching her work.
the only sad bit is that when not in work mode she is uncomfortable around other dogs which means we are not willing to bring on another girl while she is with us . 
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2021, 04:53:13 PM »
Hi and welcome

I am owned by 10 month old working cocker called Ash, she is my second working cocker, lost Fern at 13 1/2years in May 2019

Then lost my lab in August 2020 - he was my fourth lab

Currently I have lost Ash this afternoon she’s with her dad in the other room hogging the open fire 🔥  :005:

Look forward to hearing Loki and Oscar

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2021, 07:48:23 PM »
Welcome to the forum, wishing you and Loki lots of fun filled days.

Offline sophie.ivy

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2021, 09:13:00 AM »
Hi Dona,

Welcome  :D and hi, Loki! I found this forum recently too after getting a WCS puppy for the first time and it's really helped. My girl, Ivy is 18 weeks and I found everything started to turn from puppy blues to puppy love around 14 weeks :luv:

We're training her to be a gun dog too so will look forward to hearing more about Loki's journey. Are you placeboard training him out of interest? We are with Ivy and keen to hear other people's thoughts on it, or other methods being used in these early stages.