Author Topic: Staying on top of knots.  (Read 3046 times)

Offline JohnMcL

• Donator
Staying on top of knots.
« on: March 08, 2022, 03:41:57 PM »
Hi, would you please share your grooming routines? I think I must be doing something wrong here as keeping tangle/knot free is FAR harder than I thought it would be. Various books state that a 10 minute daily brush is enough but that’s not my experience. It’s taking me ten mins per ear twice a day to stop the tiny tangles turning into knots which then seem to grow to big mats rapidly if left. I’m using a slicker, wide comb and then a much finer comb, I rarely have to cut a knot out as I try to catch them at tiny stage.
Luckily Peanut (13 months) is pretty good on the table now so practice has worked thankfully. Fortunately the armpits are easy nowadays (thank the stars!) but I don’t understand how ears tangle so blinking fast!

Is there a magic trick to keep on top of this in less than an hour a day please? I can’t imagine a family with kids and jobs having time to win this battle!

How an earth do you guys keep a longish coat and walk in forests and keep yours looking so tidy?

Cheers.
John.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: Staying on top of knots.
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2022, 05:52:58 PM »
The first groomer I went to recommended an Aktivet Pro Brush, they’re very expensive for what they are but they’re really useful, I‘ve had mine for nearly seven years and consider it the best piece of grooming equipment I‘ve purchased and wouldn’t want to be without it. Its a good idea to watch the youtube video on how to use it properly, it has a flexible head so you don’t use the normal brushing movement but used correctly its brilliant for detangling.
I always start with the big comb, then the brush where needed and then the fine comb.
Combing Humphrey’s ears sends him into a drunken stupor  :lol:, so I always start there first and then he‘s anybody’s,  :005: the rest I do while he‘s lying down.
I keep the hair around his ear holes short so I use the clippers and then clip the inside of the ear flap to about halfway down. It keeps the volume of hair down without having any effect on the overall look and is just easier to maintain. I don’t bath him very often but I do wash his ears now and again as I find the dirt and dinner  ;), seem to accumulate and make combing harder. 
There are detangling and conditioning sprays on the market, I did buy one once but either I bought a poor quality one or I used too much, I don’t know but it seemed to make his coat feel claggy and I wasn’t mad about the smell either.
I need on average about half and hour twice a week, depending on the time of year and how much undercoat he’s producing but I do agree they need a LOT of grooming compared to many other breeds and I do wonder how busier people manage, - possibly they have their dogs clipped regularly?
i don’t really mind grooming Humphrey, its quite relaxing but then being retired, I do have the time and that makes a big difference.

Offline JohnMcL

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2022, 10:22:59 PM »
Thanks for replying Jayne and for so much info. I really enjoy grooming her, I think she’s starting to enjoy it too and it’s nice to have time with her when she’s chilled out - not going full pelt. She’s a different dog on the table!
I knew Cocker’s need a lot of grooming but I didn’t think the hair tangled as quickly as it is doing. There’s no way I would have had time to groom to this extent when the kids were younger and building a career. I can see why owners choose to clip.
Clipping around the base of the ears underneath is something I need to learn as this is the hardest area to de-tangle. I’ll try and find a course or ask a groomer if I can pay them to show me the basics.
I’ve found the Activet Pro brush, there’s a range of them, what colour is yours please? Not a cheap brush but if it does the job and lasts then it’s worth it in my opinion. I’m about to watch a video showing how to use it.

Good tips about clipping on the underside of the ear too as apart from making grooming easier, getting more air to the ear is probably healthier. I’m definitely going down this route as it’ll save loads of time. I might even be able to groom the whole of Peanut in one session!

Thank you!

John

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2022, 08:56:34 AM »
I use a stiffish bristle brush initially, all over, and then go in with a wide tooth comb, seems to do the trick. I also clip out the inside of the ear, it takes the weight of it, and allows a better flow of air. After Milo's ear trouble I pay particular attention to the inside of ears. I find under the front legs the worst bit to keep knot free, and it's such a tender area. I use a coat king every so often - Dylan is a very hairy dog with a very thick coat that grows like smoke, so it needs thinning a bit. His brush takes about ten minutes every day.
Milo was a blue roan but with a lot of white, and a black patch on his back -this patch grew more thickly than the white fur. Dylan is a very dark roan, I wonder if black fur grows more thickly than white? 

Lesley and Dylan
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2022, 09:57:32 AM »
Hi John, I have the small green aktivet for Humphrey as that was the one my groomer recommended at the time, - unfortunately, as is the case with a lot of the international products, the range of products available in Germany isn’t always the same as in UK, it could be there are more available to you. I just watched an American sales video where  they also have a „matt zapper brush“ for example, which I haven’t seen here. I can only suggest you google around and see what’s available. I can‘t find the original video I watched unfortunately, it might even have been in German, I can’t remember but I‘m sure you’ll find something.
There are lots of videos on grooming as well, I found the ones by Pro Groomer really helpful, there‘s one for a clipped dog and one for a hand stripped dog, Humphrey doesn’t really fit into either category, I use a sort of combination of both. Let me know if you can’t find it and I‘ll copy the link.
We‘re just off out now to buy shoes  :005: - Humphrey’s walking a lot further now but still drags his foot quite a lot and I noticed last night that his claws have worn dangerously low. The physiotherapist thinks if we put a shoe on the bad leg, he‘ll probably resist using it at all, so we need to buy two!!   :shades: ph34r !, Wish me luck!!  :lol:

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2022, 10:05:29 AM »
Well John Ollie had the same groomer for over 13 years, and she once gave me a half full bottle of what she used for his ears - Wahl Dog Detangler Spray, 500 ml, Dematting & Detangling SprayWahl Dog Detangler Spray, 500 ml, Dematting & Detangling Spray on sale on Amazon.

I think  she only had to really cut back his ears once.  Ollie would run to her and shower her in cocker kisses, sadly she passed last summer.

Worth looking at the product.
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline JohnMcL

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2022, 10:07:52 AM »
Hi Lesley,

Thanks for replying, I’ll definitely be concentrating on keeping the ears clipped on the underside and around the canal. I’m trying to find a suitable stiff brush, I know slickers are popular and work but need careful use, I think I’d rather use a stiff brush first and then a slicker, wide comb, fine comb etc.
I’ve been looking after a cocker pup who is all black and I think they are more hairy too. It looks like the owner doesn’t want the pup back so she’s still here. I hadn’t planned on another puppy, fortunately this pup likes being groomed so I’m grooming her too. She has puppy coat and I’ve no idea how to manage it so just keeping her knot free whilst I learn! Her coat is very different to Peanut’s; at 6 months she resembles a woolly mammoth but the coat isn’t ready to drop.

My kitchen now resembles a groom room.

Thanks.

John.

Offline JohnMcL

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2022, 10:15:27 AM »
Hi Jay’sMumAgain,

Thanks for the strong recommendation, I’ll get on Amazon now. Anything that helps is more than welcome.
Sorry to hear about your groomer. It’s lovely when you find someone good and who the dog loves; sounds like you found a natural. I’m looking for a groomer to show/help, paid but not sure if they do that sort of service!

Thanks.
John.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2022, 12:20:51 PM »
Sounds like you‘ll be our future grooming Guru John!!  :005:
We‘ve got the shoes !!! Took me back to the days of trying to buy shoes for a screaming toddler  :rofl1:  just got to persuade him to wear them now!   :lol:

Offline JohnMcL

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2022, 11:50:28 AM »
Oh the Clark’s days! Remember those well! Good luck with getting shoes on Humphrey! Please get pictures or a vid!  :D

I’ve ordered more Spratt’s combs and have been looking at scissors all morning. The world of scissors, I had no idea there are so many types! I started off looking for a simple scissor set, possibly in a pouch, now it looks like I’ll be adding them to my contents insurance policy as it’s £400!
I think it’s going to take more than good tools to manage without a professional groomer so I’m having a re-think!

I think future “grooming guru” might be pushing it a tad far Jayne! A smidge neater than Worzel Gummage is the goal right now!

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2022, 01:29:37 PM »
What do you reckon John - Strictly or Riverdance??  :lol: :lol:

https://youtu.be/Vcwb6KkwBzQ

Offline JohnMcL

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2022, 03:18:53 PM »
 :luv: WOW! He looks really, really happy wearing them! I thought he might sulk! How difficult was it to get them on? I’ve not seen them before!
Thanks for doing the vid, he looks really, really well!
Does he try to take them off?
It’s lovely to see him so happy!  :luv:

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2022, 04:42:06 PM »
Aw, bless his cotton socks (if he's wearing socks  ;) ).
Lesley and Dylan
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2022, 05:43:08 PM »
Oh what a star :luv:

Oh and that look says it all  Just look at me  :005:  Humph really loves them and he is doing so well.

Nice one Jayne  :bigarmhug: to Humph
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2022, 06:38:39 PM »
They’re pretty easy to put on, they’re like a little slipper with a velcro fastening - there are posher ones with zips but we just got the cheap ones to start with. He wasn’t over enthusiastic but to be honest but he’s had to put up with so much indignation lately, I think he’s resigned to it,  he‘s obviously got a sense of humour!  :005:
Trying to chase a deer in them just now  was a sight to behold  :lol2: but he didn‘t get far and  by the time he got back, they‘d turned completely round and the soles were on the top of his paw!
But we’re just getting him used to them for now, hopefully he won’t need them on soft ground, they‘re really just to protect his paws and claws on tarmac and paving.
 :luv: