Author Topic: Boy bits  (Read 2301 times)

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
Boy bits
« on: April 21, 2023, 10:20:23 PM »
After having girl dogs for over 15 years I now have a one year old boy (as well as a 20 month old girl).
I wanted advice on what to do regarding grooming of his ‘bits’.  He is a working cocker so doesn’t have so much coat as a show type but he has an abundance of hair surrounding his ‘bits’ and I am unsure what to do with it  :005:  I do have a battery operated clipper that I use to trim the hair from their feet,  paws and the bottom of their feathering and wondered if I could use it down below.  I thought that the clippers may be safer than using scissors as he can be a bit wriggly and I would hate the scissors to do him a mischief  :o  I have noticed he is a bit smellier than his sister which I feel is due to him lifting his leg and dribbling on himself as he hasn’t quite mastered the art yet even though he has been doing it since 7 months old  :lol2:  We haven’t had a boy dog in the family for over 15 years and had forgotten their little ways.  My daughter took him into Pets at Home on his birthday and was mortified when he lifted his leg twice on their displays  :o.   Our girl dogs wouldn’t have dreamt of doing such a thing!  :angel: :angel:   I would really appreciate your advice.
Max (GSP)  always in my heart

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: Boy bits
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2023, 07:34:51 AM »
 :005: :005: he obviously decided to  put Pets at Home in their place!  :lol2: 

Don’t know if this is right  ph34r, but a groomer told me to clip around the bits, enough to keep things clean but leave some at the tip as it helps to channel the wee away and prevent the rest of coat from getting wet. There is some logic in there somewhere  :shades:, and that’s the way I‘ve done it since.
Humphrey doesn‘t cock his leg much these days though as he falls over  :005: , instead he walk along very nonchalantly and makes artistic patterns all over the road!  :lol: :lol:

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2023, 08:00:18 AM »
Thanks bizzylizzy.
He does have a LOT of hair on the tip  :o and looking from the side, he looks like he has his tail between his legs   :005:  As he is entire he also has his two other ‘bits’ with a lot of hair round them  :o. are clippers safe to use round there?  Sorry for asking these intimate questions but I have never had such a hairy dog underneath  :lol:

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2023, 09:29:17 AM »
I just tidy round Watson's bit with clippers and trim the hair on his willy quite short. I found if I left it, it would stay wet and be a bit a bit "dribbly"  :lol2: Takes a few tries to see what works best in that department  :shades:
Julie and Watson

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2023, 09:48:04 AM »
Dylan is a very hairy lad, I use the clippers under his tail, but trimmed the hair around his 'bits' with scissors, leaving a bit covering for modesty  :005:. OH then holds him up by his front paws so he is standing on his back legs, I can trim his Willy with scissors, as I can see what I am doing that way. I used clippers on the inside of his thighs so there is nothing to catch any wee.
Lesley and Dylan
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2023, 09:54:42 AM »
Thanks for your replies.  They have been really helpful. If I do need to use scissors, I will have to ask my daughter to use as my hands are quite  shaky which is not good if I am going anywhere near his willy  :lol:   I have never known such a hairy boy with beautiful auburn curls where no one can see  :005:

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2023, 02:19:29 PM »
Harry is coming up to 7mths and am eagerly waiting the end of his delightful swat - which if seen would explain the amusement :005:.

So if I have got this correct I need to take him in Pets at Home where he will perfect his big boy stance :rofl1:

No advice of trimming unders - sorry

Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2023, 05:28:17 PM »
Harry is coming up to 7mths and am eagerly waiting the end of his delightful swat - which if seen would explain the amusement :005:.

So if I have got this correct I need to take him in Pets at Home where he will perfect his big boy stance :rofl1:

Ned has been lifting his leg since he was six and a half months old so it could be any day now for Harry  ;). Ned does it so many times on his walk,  even when there is nothing to come out  :005:   It seems a special moment when the leg finally goes up  :005: and then there is no stopping them.   :rofl1:

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2023, 07:29:34 PM »
I well remember Dylan's first leg lifting. Silly boy chose a holly bush for his first grown up pee, and of course, he wobbled…………  :005:
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2023, 07:49:59 PM »
I well remember Dylan's first leg lifting. Silly boy chose a holly bush for his first grown up pee, and of course, he wobbled…………  :005:

:rofl1: :rofl1:

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2023, 09:03:10 PM »

:rofl1: :rofl1:

:005: :005: poor lad !!!!! :luv:

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2023, 04:21:18 PM »
Knowing mad Harry it will be nettles...just starting to come through. So dock leaves at the ready....not sure what help with holly :luv:
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed