Cocker Specific Discussion > Oldies (Over 9s)

Sundowner issues

<< < (2/3) > >>

ElaineH:
Morgan was 15 in June and started this sort of barking nearly 3 years ago. The only thing that settles him is hubby and I taking it in turns to sleep downstairs with him. He gets very agitated generally now unless he knows that one of us is nearby, a problem exacerbated by his deafness and poor sight.
Our vet suggested Selgian to help with his dementia-like symptoms but it was only successful for a short while, he's no worse without it than he was when taking it.
On the whole we reckon that for whatever time he has left we can put up with these sleeping arrangements, at least it stops the barking and he is mainly content overnight although he spends quite a bit of it pottering around  :luv:

Mudmagnets:

--- Quote from: ElaineH on September 18, 2023, 10:31:21 AM ---Morgan was 15 in June and started this sort of barking nearly 3 years ago. The only thing that settles him is hubby and I taking it in turns to sleep downstairs with him. He gets very agitated generally now unless he knows that one of us is nearby, a problem exacerbated by his deafness and poor sight.
Our vet suggested Selgian to help with his dementia-like symptoms but it was only successful for a short while, he's no worse without it than he was when taking it.
On the whole we reckon that for whatever time he has left we can put up with these sleeping arrangements, at least it stops the barking and he is mainly content overnight although he spends quite a bit of it pottering around  :luv:

--- End quote ---

I think it's just finding out what works for them...and you.

rubyduby:
Thankyou for the suggestions and comments, Topaz does sleep with me as I know being close  is important to her well being, and I constantly reach out to let her know we are still there, yes I can manage for as long as it takes, she is more than worth it . I get up 3 times a night with her, but its become a routine, fortunately I dont work (retd) so I can catch up, though I do seem to get tired even so, probably an age thing......I may try a calming tablet or similar if it gets worse.

phoenix:
Dorwest  do a couple of products that could be helpful. I used the Skullcap  and Valerian for bonfire night, which worked. But now they’ve got one called Braincopa for cognitive decline, a lot of detail on  the website.

rubyduby:
I shall  look into the Dorwest product ...many thanks

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version