Author Topic: To Clip Or Not To Clip  (Read 5462 times)

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
To Clip Or Not To Clip
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2005, 09:54:48 PM »
Jessie looks like a female version of Vegas - he is currently sporting the mega furry feet too :lol:  :lol:  He will be having a run-in with the clippers very shortly ;)
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
To Clip Or Not To Clip
« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2005, 10:17:31 PM »
someone asked me today what breed he was and said that he looked 'a bit like a spaniel!!!'  I told them he was a Hungarian Water Hound and they just nodded wisely - perhaps this is a sign he is to short?
[snapback]148803[/snapback]

I went into the kitchen one day and got the shock of my life to see a BT engineer up a ladder in my back garden  :o . Billy heard me talking to the engineer through the window and ran into the kitchen and stuck his head through the dog flap to see what all the fuss was about. Billy got a shock too when he saw the BT man and started barking really loud through the dog flap, he had his "its ok mummy I am guarding the house" bark on . The BT engineer was frightened to death of Billy and ran up his ladder  :lol:  :lol:  He thought Billy was a doberman :ph34r:   all he could see was this very short haired black and tan head sticking out of the dog flap barking like mad, it was quite amusing.

Offline LoveCatz

• Site Member
To Clip Or Not To Clip
« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2005, 08:31:22 PM »
Dad's cocker is clipped really short like Billy with some feathers. He goes in looking like a wooly mammoth and come outs out half the size.
[snapback]148699[/snapback]

My husband was only saying at the weekend that he though Pepsi was getting fat. I said I didn't think so and when she came back from being clipped he admitted that I was right and she was all fur and not fat  :lol:  Her paws are half the size now  :D

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
To Clip Or Not To Clip
« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2005, 08:35:16 PM »
I went into the kitchen one day and got the shock of my life to see a BT engineer up a ladder in my back garden  :o . Billy heard me talking to the engineer through the window and ran into the kitchen and stuck his head through the dog flap to see what all the fuss was about. Billy got a shock too when he saw the BT man and started barking really loud through the dog flap, he had his "its ok mummy I am guarding the house" bark on . The BT engineer was frightened to death of Billy and ran up his ladder  :lol:  :lol:  He thought Billy was a doberman :ph34r:   all he could see was this very short haired black and tan head sticking out of the dog flap barking like mad, it was quite amusing.
[snapback]148834[/snapback]

:lol:  :lol:  :lol: xxxxx
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"

Sue H

To Clip Or Not To Clip
« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2005, 08:44:16 PM »
LOL!!!

Especially since my son is working for BT - he won't have any phobias about dogs however - he's probably going to get bitten by a Maltese Terier or something, since he is no way going to be put off by a mere Cocker/Doberman cross !!!

Both mine, especially Barley, were totally gorgeuous at 1 year old - Barley was Gold, and looked like a mini-Afghan  - her 'hair' was so luxurious we could plait it or style it .... their fur is sooo silky and lovely, you can't imagine having to thin or trim it .... I will try to get Jeremy to put some photos on the ebsite .....

Bramble (who is now nearly 3 - 1st October!!!!) came back from our groomer's the day before yesterday looking sooooo lovely - his ears are shorter (because they hold so much moisture) and his back is sooo sleek - he is BR & T but when his coat grows, it can blur, and when he is clipped, he is so much more black and white and roan and tan ..!!!

He was neutered at 12 months, so I guess there would have been some coat changes, but at this time of year, when they still love to swim (when don't they??) it is only fair to give them max comfort I think ... but then I'm not showing which makes a major diff ....

I'm going onto a different thread now ....

Offline Annette

• Site Member
To Clip Or Not To Clip
« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2005, 09:37:13 PM »
Thanks for all your help.

I'm afraid I might be a hopeless case - I still don't know!!! :blink:

Would one of you just wave a magic wand, come and look at Buddy and TELL me what to do - - - please?

Or    just keep the advice coming. :P

Offline PennyB

To Clip Or Not To Clip
« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2005, 01:38:58 PM »
Mine are both neutered and while they get clipped the groomer does a good job but with Wilf I had his clipped even shorter in the end as he was getting wet all the time when we're out and his skin was starting to become affected as it was taking so long for him to dry. I never thought I would clip this short, but they still look like cockers and they feel better for it (they would look miserable splashing around in muddy weather when their feathers etc. were too long now they love it as they can bounce around unhindered).

I do think a good groomer can do a good job with clipping as the bad ones really do just look like the dog has been hacked.
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline speedyjaney

• Site Member
To Clip Or Not To Clip
« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2005, 09:30:33 PM »
Hi There

Well Jessie has been the groomers (yesterday) and here are the results. I am quite pleased...she still has feathering but it is thinner. See for yourself!

She seems much happier too...without the winter furry coat lol

Janey

Offline Annette

• Site Member
To Clip Or Not To Clip
« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2005, 11:38:57 AM »
Hi There

Well Jessie has been the groomers (yesterday) and here are the results. I am quite pleased...she still has feathering but it is thinner. See for yourself!

She seems much happier too...without the winter furry coat lol

Janey
[snapback]149703[/snapback]

She looks gorgeous!

Offline clairep4

• Site Member
  • The Two Muppeteers!
    • Chow Bella Pet Bowls
To Clip Or Not To Clip
« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2005, 01:58:54 PM »
She looks fabulous - that's exactly what I want them to do with Bella - she's going to a new groomer on thurs this week - fingers crossed!
Claire, Bella & Zorro - the two muppeteers!
Tellington TTouch Practitioner P1
www.tellingtontouch.org.uk

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
To Clip Or Not To Clip
« Reply #40 on: October 03, 2005, 06:31:57 PM »
:D She looks lovely Janey, great job, gorgeous girl  :wub: xxxxx
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"

Offline mmathison

• Site Member
    • http://
To Clip Or Not To Clip
« Reply #41 on: October 09, 2005, 03:03:05 PM »
Hi all

I am a novice at dog grooming but have just started on my youngest
working cocker Ruben although he is short haired he has very fluffy
feet and scruffy bits under his chest at nine months he started to look scruffy
and up to now i have just trimmed his feet and chest to make it look tidy but
already three weeks later he is looking scruffy again.

My sister has a show type black spaniel who has always had a long coat and a nightmare to groom.When we go walking the dog ends up with twiggs and alsorts stuck to his fur.Flynn is now approaching 10 years old and looking quite grey in places.About a month ago she decided to have him clipped really short and wow
what a different it made,it took years off the dog and got rid off all the grey on top
and he looked so young again and his coat looks short but lovely.

I may think about getting my two done especially as they are so active.

Michelle,Elle and Ruben