Author Topic: clippers  (Read 9534 times)

Offline shaendix

• Site Member
    • espanielcockerspaniels.co.nz
clippers
« on: August 19, 2002, 09:38:38 AM »
Just wondering what brands of clippers you like to use.  Mine had a long and arduous life and have now deceased!  I am thinking about getting some new ones on the net as our choices here in NZ are limited and quite expensive.  I have used Thrive and Oster A5 (a friend has lent me some older Osters but they don't seem to go as fast as the Thrives) Cheers
ps also keen to hear your views on dryers as well.                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
clippers
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2002, 10:43:23 AM »
I've used Oster & Thrive clippers - at the moment I have a fairly new Oster A5 & it goes much better than my old Thrive model, though it does get quite hot sometimes! As for dryers, I've got a Simpsons Combi, combined blaster & dryer - it's brill, though I hardly ever use it in the dryer mode as I find the blaster much better at getting all the water out without making the hair flyaway. It's been well worth the expense as it dries dogs in half the time of a hand-held drier

Jane                    
Jane

Offline shaendix

• Site Member
clippers
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2002, 11:26:45 AM »
Thanks Jane - yes I've heard that the osters can get quite hot and the ones I currently have do - but they are a "C" model so quite old I think.  Do yours have the switch on the bottom? Apparently they get hotter than the ones with a switch on the side.                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
clippers
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2002, 03:27:49 PM »
Yes mine have the switch at the bottom - only had them 2 years but might look into getting some better ones at Crufts next year - will have to save my pennies  :)

Jane                    
Jane

Offline Michele

• Site Member
clippers
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2002, 11:21:13 PM »
Hi Shaendix & Jane,
I have for about the last two years used a Wahl clipper (also known under the name Moser) which will take the Oster blades, and I can honestly say it has been brilliant. It doesn't overheat, infact I have to check the blade if I'm doing a particularly thick coat as that can still get hot. I think they sell for about £100 from the likes of Snooze 'n' Snack (Denbar Supplies) www.denbar-uk-ltd.co.uk. This model has the switch on the side. It also sends out a small jet of air from the back which I believe is from the cooling device for the motor.                    

Offline shaendix

• Site Member
clippers
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2002, 01:11:48 AM »
Hi Michele - which model of Whal are you using - I think Professional is available here, it is a bit cheaper than oster (quoted to me at $800 NZ = 244 british pounds)                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
clippers
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2002, 09:57:53 AM »
That's cheaper than my Osters, Michelle - I think I might make a purchase before next year's Crufts :) I had been put off the Wahls as many years ago I had one of their pet clippers which was totally useless but looks like I may have to think again!

Jane                    
Jane

Offline Michele

• Site Member
clippers
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2002, 04:25:58 PM »
Yes Jane when I first started clipping my own dogs I had a set of the pet clippers and found them very frustrating, but these really have been money well spent. When I can find the paperwork I'll let you know what model they are. :)                    

Offline Michele

• Site Member
clippers
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2002, 04:49:00 PM »
Hi,
Have found the web site for the clippers if you want to see what they look like. They are called Moser Professional 1225T
http://www.moser-online.com/eng/index.cfm?...in=produkte.cfm
Hope this helps you from getting hot fingers :D                    

Offline Michele

• Site Member
clippers
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2002, 10:53:49 PM »
Hi Jane & Shaendix,
Have found the Wahl model equivilant to the Moser one. It's called Wahl KM-1 and can be bought from Diamond Edge priced at £101.90 inc VAT ---- BARGAIN! ;D http://www.diamondedgeltd.com/acatalog/Onl...ue_Wahl_17.html
I had a look on the Snooze 'n' Snack site (which is where I got it from & they don't seem to stock it anymore)                    

Offline shaendix

• Site Member
clippers
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2002, 03:40:28 AM »
Thanks Michele - have checked out the Diamond Edge site and think will go that way.  Just hard to choose which one!  ::) the good thing is I wont have to pay the VAT!!  ;D Cheers                    

Offline Michele

• Site Member
clippers
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2002, 04:23:23 PM »
You're welcome, glad to have helped  :D                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
clippers
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2002, 09:31:53 PM »
Thanks from me too Michelle! I think I might be raiding the "dog fund" shortly :)

Jane                    
Jane

Offline Michele

• Site Member
clippers
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2002, 11:33:50 PM »
Hi Jane,
Happy to have helped, I know I like to hear first hand experience of any piece of equipment before I buy ;).
I'm actually considering buying a Coat King at Richmond, to use on some of my hairier customers (well their dogs not the people, ha ha). I recently borrowed one from a friend and used it on a 10 month blue roan who had a very thick coat. Although the coat was ready to give and would have stripped out very easily, this did it in half the time and I do think was less uncomfrotable for the pup. Would just like to know if you have used one and does it have any long term effect on the coat, ie. does it grow back more wavy/ thicker etc? I ask because I do have a few dogs who whilst they don't need their backs clipping they do get that hairy 'ruff' around the neck & shoulders :-[
Michele                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
clippers
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2002, 03:51:18 PM »
Hi Michelle

Yes I do use a Coat King a lot on my pet clients (the ones I don't clip) - it's easier on the dogs & does get that tough hair out from around the neck etc (though sometimes it does cut the coat rather than strip it) Sometimes the regrowth is a bit fluffy but nowhere near as bad as a coat that's been scissored/clipped. It's also excellent for helping to strip out puppy coats (again on pets) once the coat is ready to come. I also use one on our "oldies" as it saves time & they aren't standing around on a table for hours which suits them :) I have reservations about using a Coat King on show dogs though I know several very high profile Cocker people use them all the time now - trouble is, I can tell they do - their dogs' coats never seem to have any bloom & look a bit rough to my eyes :)

Anyway, I'm sure you won't regret buying a Coat King or two at Richmond - they will save you a lot of "elbow-grease"!

Jane                    
Jane