Author Topic: Groomers  (Read 1495 times)

Acorah

Groomers
« on: October 19, 2005, 10:27:46 AM »
I have tried grooming Aorah myself but he just hates it and as for trimming him ive got 2 hopes and one of those is bob!

WHat Im asking for is a nice patient groomers in Doncaster or near area that will be nice and gentle to him, one I went to see were rather rough with the dogs there

Offline silkstocking

• Site Member
Groomers
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2005, 05:48:48 PM »
Grooming can be a struggle and good groomers are hard to come by. Sadly I can not help you with a groomer in your area but do think it would be worth trying again yourself, afterall your dog trusts you more than anyone! If he struggles with you maybe you could get some one else to help you and it's always a good idea to do it on a high surface 1. it's harder for the dog to jump off 2. it's easier on your back! From the picture I couldnt see how heavy a coat your dog had, but I may be able to give you some advise on the equipment you could use if you wanted try grooming him yourself again, the more you do it the more used to it he'll get :)

Acorah

Groomers
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2005, 12:27:51 PM »
Hes not got a very thick or heavy coat, it just seems to soak in mud and dirty water :lol:

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Groomers
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2005, 03:57:06 PM »
Working Cockers don't often need the attentions of a professional groomer (although some do have thicker coats than others, particularly after neutering) so it would be better to persevere yourself if you can. You'll find info about the equipment you need & general tips in the posts pinned to the top of the Grooming board. The key is perseverence - try doing a little bit every day (even if it's only 5 minutes or so) and as Lisa says above, always use a raised surface/table.

Jane
Jane

Offline silkstocking

• Site Member
Groomers
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2005, 05:23:18 PM »
If his coat isn't very thick, then you probably just need to use a comb, I use coat kings on my dogs because their coats are very thick. You prob just need a soft slicker brush and a normal comb.........little and often is the key and i'm sure you'll crack it. Where exactly is his hair getting matted? :)

Hes not got a very thick or heavy coat, it just seems to soak in mud and dirty water :lol:
[snapback]155146[/snapback]

Offline Tracey J

• Site Member
Groomers
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2005, 10:02:20 PM »
My 2 were never great when being groomed (had to muzzle Molly to stop her being so hyper) until I was introduced to the 'untangler comb'.  I got mine from Diamond Edge.  It's brilliant, it combs and strips at the same time and as soon as I lift it up now, there's a fight for who gets groomed first.  Acorah is still very young so I would try gentle grooming for short periods of time while he is relaxed.  The more he gets used to it the longer those periods will get.  Best of luck.
Tracey, Molly &  little brother Brodie!

Offline silkstocking

• Site Member
Groomers
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2005, 12:21:56 PM »
Tracey J is right Diamond Edge do a whole host of dog grooming equipment.......they are really realiable, phone them up one day and the stuff arrives the next! The telephone number is 01273 605922, you could just ak for a brochure and then see what might help you to groom your beautiful boy! Lisa xx

[snapback]155146[/snapback]

Acorah

Groomers
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2005, 02:25:09 PM »
In between his toes need doing pretty bad, the hair is all over the place! I darent try myself as he fidgets tooooooo much and am scared of cutting his foot

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Groomers
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2005, 04:37:06 PM »
In between his toes need doing pretty bad, the hair is all over the place! I darent try myself as he fidgets tooooooo much and am scared of cutting his foot
[snapback]155710[/snapback]

Depending on how big he is - the way I taught Molo to keep still might work.

I groomed him on the ironing board daily for a few weeks (I think I read it on here somewhere  :rolleyes: ) - it wobbles so they feel insecure (but they're not) and makes them stay really still - but make sure you have a second pair of hands to catch him if he does try to jump  :rolleyes:

I struggled with feet for months - and even now, I only ever do one at a time; and if he has to be in the right "mood" for me to get them done well  :lol:  I don't do between the toes - but cut along the flat of the foot so fur doesn't tuft out from between the pads on the bottom.....
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Sharon

• Inactive
  • Bramble
Groomers
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2005, 05:18:36 PM »
I use an old ironing board too, but none of my girls like their feet touched either, so I normally get one of the children to talk to them while I have a go at their feet.  I do have a pair of scissors with round ends especially for feet, so if they pull away I don't stab them  :unsure: