Author Topic: black cockers fur????  (Read 1651 times)

Offline issey

• Site Member
black cockers fur????
« on: February 20, 2006, 12:36:26 PM »
 :laugh:
Issey is resembling a fluff ball!!!!!
shes off for a full grooming and bathing session at 1pm so I will have an even beautifuller (is there such word) cocker.

Shes a pure black show cocker and i'm convinced they get more fluffy and furry that some other coloured cockers, does
anybody else think so????

will hopefully post a new pic after shes been groomed tonight , i may need some guidance as cant remember how to,
if you want to pm with instructions it will be grately appreciated.

many
thanks
KAREN

has anybody else got a pure black , how often do you have them groomed? :huh: :laugh:
love Karen xxxxxx and Issey xxxxxxxxxx

Offline Dunton4

• Site Member
Re: black cockers fur????
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2006, 01:21:42 PM »
HI Karen, I hope Issey enjoys her grooming session, I'm sure she will look stunning when she comes home  B)

I have Tilly, a solid black and you're right, the blacks are reputed to have the heaviest coats.  I am very fortunate as Tilly has what I think is known as a "non-trim" coat ie, the coat on her back and sides doesn't need much doing to it, but I do have to trim her very hairy feet and leg feathers (she's not called "Moonboots" for nothing  :laugh:)  In response to your question about frequency of grooming, I try to do Tilly myself and must admit to doing some trimming every few days.  It's a bit like painting the Forth Bridge - I feel I've never quite done all of it  ;)  I might spend 30 minutes one day tidying up her feet, or a session on her ears, but something gets done every week.  I think if you are sending Issey to a groomer the normal recommendation is to go every 8 weeks.  I find little and often really works for us and Tilly really enjoys her pampering sessions.

Looking forward to seeing the photos of lovely groomed Issey  :-*

Sue and Tilly

Offline daunting

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2006, 01:34:20 PM »
Max is a huge fluffball  :o

Saffi on the other hand and a very sleek short coat with barely a whisper of feathering  ::)
Donna, *Tia*, Saffi, Max, Harley, Egan, Mia

http://hope-rescue.proboards.com/index.cgi

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2006, 02:48:27 PM »
I have a solid black too and it's his legas and feet that give us all the hard work. Moonboots would be a very good description, so I'll steal that Sue if you don't mind ;) :laugh:  I groom Dallas myself so he gets thoroughly brushed and combed every day with scissoring being done at weekends as and when needed (normally every weekend as I'm always trying to fix the mess I made of it at the previous session ::))  As Sue said, every 8 weeks sounds about right if she is going to be professionally groomed
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline issey

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2006, 04:50:54 PM »
well shes still at he groomers :-\

the groomers just rang and said shes still trying to sort her mattedness out under her forelegs, i didnt think it was that bad but i'm no groomer,
also she didnt like the bath , (she loves it here) and not overkeen on the hairdryer either. I feel sorry for the groomer , Iss can be a bit of a wimp
when i'm not there, but the groomer came highly recommeded so will just have to apologise ......

oh dear I feel awfull now

up date when I get her back

love
karen

Offline Dunton4

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2006, 05:04:09 PM »
Aah, poor Issey  :-\.  Tilly gets knots under her forelegs too, they just seem to appear from nowhere  ::).  I usually sit with her on my lap, on her back with her legs in the air, whilst I comb them out gently.  I can't say that it is her favourite part of the grooming experience, but after a few wriggles she goes to sleep, so it can't be too bad! I sneak in a few cuddles as well, to make it a nice experience all round  :laugh:

Tilly hates the hairdryer too.  She sends commiserations to Issey  :-*

Sue and Tilly

Offline chelsea

• Site Member
    • http://www.quintaviacockerspaniels.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2006, 06:43:50 PM »
If her coats anything like her gran (Peggy) then it is very very heavy!! ::)
Look forward to seeing pics! :blink:

Offline LoveCatz

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2006, 01:04:31 PM »
I too have a solid black. We take Pepsi every 6 weeks and she has had to be clipped from the off as I couldn't find a groomer here who would even attempt to handstrip. They all took one look and said "no way!"  Pesi all gets 'moonboot' feet and we have to trim those up weekly.

Offline isla

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2006, 09:43:58 PM »
Jem is very hairy and hard work as I'm trying to keep her coat more show like than scalped!!

I comb her everynight and I get handfuls of hair out...eeek! On a Saturday morning we take her to the country park for an hour and a half and she gets filthy and full of twigs and nasty stuff. conditioner is the way to go!!! I can get nearly all of the embedded twigs out in the bath as the conditioner slides them out!

She had a mini trim at 5 months mainly to get her used to being groomed, she had her first full groom in December which was overdue and is getting done tomorrow night... phew no more matted armpits!!

Think her coat will be a nightmare after she's neutered  :'(

Offline AnnB

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2006, 06:52:33 PM »
Bella had her first trim last week. If you look on Puppies, you can see pictures of her.

She was getting very woolly and curly, and it was taking over an hour to dry her after her bath.

The groomer clipped her, but still left some length on her tummy, legs and her skirt (well, mini skirt!!) She looks lovely now.

The groomer didn't want to handstrip because she said that once she had been spayed (which we plan to do after her first season) her hair would become very soft and fluffy, and so it wasn't worth doing the handstrip. We aren't planning to show her anyway.

The only downside is that her chin seems a bit stubbly when we get our cocker kisses!

Offline LoveCatz

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2006, 01:11:35 PM »
The only downside is that her chin seems a bit stubbly when we get our cocker kisses!

Pepsi gets this too!

Offline issey

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2006, 07:27:17 PM »
sorry not been on for bit, Issey came back from grroomers looking lovely, will get some pics this weekend ^_^

Offline miche

• Site Member
    • http://mwcooling.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2006, 10:07:12 PM »
I can't wait to see the pics of her groomed, she is a bit of a woolly one is our Issey :laugh:.  Georgeous with it though.  You wouldn't recognise Herbie now, he's got a bit of wool on him too. 

I do agree that the black show cockers have much more coat, Herbie's mum was soooooo woolly :blink:

Love Michele, Mikey and Herbiexx