Author Topic: whiskers  (Read 1740 times)

Offline winewood

• Donator
  • Now in Italy
whiskers
« on: March 30, 2006, 09:38:15 AM »
Please don't laugh at us,  but I took Indi to have her first professional haircut today. I've been doing it myself and she was'nt looking to bad but as we have started tracking and waiting to go to our first field training session I thought she needs to been trimmed shorter( worried about grass seeds) than I've been doing and I wanted it to be straight. But...... before I could say leave her whiskers on he had taken one side off >:( then he left the other side as I said leave them on as he cut ::) Should I now cut the one side to make it even or leave her lopsided.I had read that you should'nt touch their whiskers as they serve a purpose do they grow back.
 Apart from that he did a good job (he used to breed cockers and show years ago) I got him to leave just a fringe on her legs but the front is short, and her belly to her chest is now clipped off and all her fringing is shorter than show cockers but not a pet trim I still wanted her to look like a cocker.
Owned and trained by two mad cockers

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Re: whiskers
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2006, 09:49:39 AM »
I cut the whiskers on my boys as I prefer it that way. But don't worry as they do grow back ;)
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Cathy

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2006, 10:00:19 AM »
I used to be told Whiskers were the width of the body, and cats knew if they could get through a hole, if they could get there whiskers through.

Dunno if its true or not, always believed it a s a child. Usedto have a fat Cat, with long whiskers,,maybe its true !!  :005:
CATHY

'A dog may be the only opportunity a human has to choose a relative.' -- Mordecai Siegal

Offline roxystaff

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2006, 11:20:21 AM »
whiskers on a cat are meant to help them judge if they can fit through a gap but not sure if it works the same for dogs, if it does then our Kenny will be in trouble as his whiskers are ever so short :blink:

Offline Annette

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2006, 11:36:19 AM »
 :rofl1: :rofl1:

I prefer the whiskers to be left on too!

For cosmetic reasons I'd probably cut off the remaining side and let them all grow back at the same time. Not sure if they will grow back exactly as they were :005:

Boy, your groomer is fast! ;)

Offline winewood

• Donator
  • Now in Italy
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2006, 11:43:53 AM »
Thanks for replys, I will trim her whiskers to match now I know they will grow back. The book I got it from was Stanley Corren The Intelligence of Dogs it was a great read although the book was hard to get hold of, it was full of lots of interesting facts like the whiskers. I've also read 3 other books of his, while on holiday I read 2 of his books one after the other, How to speak dog, How Dogs think, and Why we love the Dogs we do.  I confess I'm a total dog nut :lol: will read anything about dogs I can get my hands on. Also read The Dog Whisperer  just wish I could train mine to walk nicely on the end of the lead without pulling like sled dogs mmmmm thats a thought cocker sled dogs. :005:
Thanks again for help

Offline isla

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2006, 12:26:35 PM »
Personally I like the whiskers off and a nice smooth face. The whiskers on one side of Jem's "face" grow so much faster than the other side. She is looking a bit lopsided!! :lol:

nightshade

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2006, 12:33:49 PM »
Cocker sled dogs?  Hum.  You would need like 30 of them and, if they are anything like mine, you would have to hope beyond hope that a bird didn't fly by or Lord knows where you would end up. Not to mention what kind of yuck you would go through getting there.  :D

Nightshade

Offline winewood

• Donator
  • Now in Italy
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2006, 07:55:24 AM »
Nightshade, just imagine
 20cockers, 2 by 2 in their harnesses  :005:
 some small poor sole trying to make them move  :005:
they would be to busy playing and getting in a knot
 unless as you say one lonely duck,seagull,pidgeon anything and wow
 what a ride :005: :lol: :lol:
Well it beats being depressed at having your dogs pulling you round the block each morning better to laugh than cry
Indi has decided to show Kody to pull me round each morning just as I was starting to think that she had improved so much and not pullling at all anymore back to the drawing board lucky they are so cute :-\ Sorry I have a strange sense of humour but it tickled my funny bone