Author Topic: grooming  (Read 1158 times)

Offline dorae

• Site Member
grooming
« on: March 30, 2006, 01:00:05 PM »
at what age should a puppy go to groomers my puppy charlie is 13wks old

Offline Cathy

• Site Member
Re: grooming
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2006, 01:08:53 PM »
Jazz went for the first time at about 8/9 months old.

As there hair grows it will be fluffy, and they will start to lose puppy fluff.

Its really good pratice, to start them getting used to it, now, but putting them on a secure table with a non slip surface, and using the brush.   The more you pratice this the better, it will make life easier for you.

Put it this way, i never did it with Jazz enough, and now I can't get her to stand stil for me when I am holding a brush.

Providing you are firm, and make them sit, or stand, it will mean you can brush and trim a bit as you go along.   If I so much as get the scissors out, she starts sreeching, and running around.. But I did nip her a while back. SHE HATES ME !!  :005: :005:
CATHY

'A dog may be the only opportunity a human has to choose a relative.' -- Mordecai Siegal

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2006, 01:37:27 PM »
Vegas went for the first time at about 5 months - at this age his coat obviously wasn't ready to do anything with but he did get his feet and featherings tidied up. Its a good idea to introduce them young when nothing drastic needs to be done (such as de-matting or a long grooming session etc) so that its not a horrible experience for them
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline dorae

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2006, 02:03:22 PM »
we brush charlie every day and wipe his ear & eyes to get him used to it he doesnt like the ears & eyes being wiped if he is tired he will let you brush him but if not he trys to chew brush

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2006, 07:02:20 PM »
Hi, I took Buttons at about 5-6 months for a tidy-up. Gracie started hetting her whiskers trimmed at 8 weeks and her feet at about 10 weeks. So if your want to do some grooming yourself you could start tidying up yourself  ;)