Author Topic: Coat change after spaying  (Read 35910 times)

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Coat change after spaying
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2002, 11:15:48 PM »
Evening primrose oil capsules are good for coats (I think I mentioned them before on another thread) but whilst they will help prevent the coat "drying" out quite so much, they will not prevent the hair growing thicker & more profusely - in fact evening primrose oil is often recommended as an aid to coat/hair growth (in humans as well as dogs) When a dog's coat becomes sparse for whatever reason, it's often advised to put them the dog on evening primrose oil. So what I am saying is that these supplements will improve coat condition but that's it :) I think it's also been mentioned before that fine coated oranges & golds suffer the least obvious coat changes post-neutering - it's entirely a different matter with a solid black, isn't it Michele ;D                    
Jane

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2002, 07:35:02 AM »
Jane, I had a feeling either you or Michele would come on and say it was all a load of codswallop ;D Brook is booked in to be clipped a week on monday and I've booked Vegas in as well basically just for a bath and tidy up as I don't think his coat is ready to give yet but his legs are very fluffy. His coat doesn't feel thick to me but I'll ask the groomer what she thinks and then I can cancel the op(again!) if she feels it is quite thick. You must feel you are repeating yourself over and over again on this thread .......sorry ::)                    
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline FionaM

• Site Member
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2002, 08:31:18 AM »
Sorry I didn't mean to start spreading rumours about miracle cures for woolly coats  :)  Part of me did think it all sounded too good to be true but I thought Gill might be interested because the dogs were orange roans.

I've resigned myself to the fact that Poppys coat is probably going to drastically change so I'll just have to be extra vigilant with my grooming - I've bought a pair of thinning scissors and I've been practicing already  ;D

Thanks for all the advice on this Jane (and everyone else)  :)

Fiona                    
Fiona & Poppy :)

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2002, 09:46:19 AM »
I'm not "dissing" evening primrose oil honestly :) Some of my Cockers are on it permanently, including Daisy, my old spayed lady. I prefer starflower oil myself, more expensive but seems to be more effective. I hope it didn't come across that I was rubbishing you Fiona - I didn't mean too, I wasjust pointing out that EPO won't work miracles - wish it did as I have a bitch who is dropping her coat like mad following her season & it would be great if EPO could stop this but it hasn't :(                    
Jane

Offline Michele

• Site Member
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2002, 06:13:48 PM »
Evening primrose oil capsules are good for coats (I think I mentioned them before on another thread) but whilst they will help prevent the coat "drying" out quite so much, they will not prevent the hair growing thicker & more profusely - in fact evening primrose oil is often recommended as an aid to coat/hair growth (in humans as well as dogs) When a dog's coat becomes sparse for whatever reason, it's often advised to put them the dog on evening primrose oil. So what I am saying is that these supplements will improve coat condition but that's it :) I think it's also been mentioned before that fine coated oranges & golds suffer the least obvious coat changes post-neutering - it's entirely a different matter with a solid black, isn't it Michele ;D

Absolutely Jane, there's no way I'm letting Otis 8) near any EPO ;D                    

Offline funky

• Site Member
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2002, 04:02:24 PM »
hi fiona,

I can't decide if I should get Megan speyed as I don't want her coat to change. I noticed on  your post that you know someone who uses evening primrose oil capsules. Do you know what strength they would be as I might put her on these if I decide to go ahead :-                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2002, 05:28:41 PM »
I give 1 x 1000mg EPO capsule a day for general "maintenance", more if I was treating a coat/skin problem. You do need to give a fairly high dose of EPO or it doesn't seem to have much affect.  Remember, EPO will help with general coat condition but it won't actually prevent the coat changes taking place in most cases.                    
Jane