Author Topic: Do you HAVE to clip a spayed bitch????  (Read 1439 times)

Offline Marian

• Site Member
Do you HAVE to clip a spayed bitch????
« on: April 28, 2006, 05:47:15 PM »
A friend of mine with a red cocker had her spayed about 6 months ago. On a training course that we attended last week my friend was told that because her bitch had been spayed that her coat would get really fluffy, that stripping would be pointless and that clipping was the only option.

Do you agree with this? I'm sure there's plenty of bitches out there that are stripped and not clipped.

I'd be really keen to hear your thoughts on this one.

Best wishes

Marian
[IMG]http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f329/robinw48/dsc000685.jpg[IMG]

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
Re: Do you HAVE to clip a spayed bitch????
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2006, 05:49:45 PM »
Yes. Speying totally changes the coat. Handstripping becomes impossible on virutally all speyed bitches. If your friend is very very lucky and her girl has a very fine coat she may get away with using thinning scissors - but it's not likely tbh :'(
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline PennyB

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2006, 09:40:52 PM »
There's no way on earth that my two could be stripped. A good groomer can still do a good cut though. Mine have short trims but still look like cockers and not like scalped/shaved dogs.
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline loppylugs

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2006, 10:32:53 PM »
Hi.My 5 year old bitch was speyed over 12months ago and her coat has not gone at all woolly.I have not clipped her ever.I still keep her in a "show trim"apart from using the coat king on her back as there is no need to strip her now.I think it depends on the coat type of the bitch.My past girls who were speyed at 6 and 7 years grew hair every where and went really woolly.They both had very fine coats.My 5 year old has always had a dense coarse coat,so may be thats why she hasnt gone "woolly".

you havent lived till you,ve owned a cocker

Penel

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2006, 12:14:34 AM »
My 7 year old bitch was spayed at 6 months old and she is not clippered.  She was - by two groomers - and it really ruined her coat.  Now I do her myself she looks loads better and her coat is much flatter and smoother again.

Offline PennyB

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2006, 01:05:55 AM »
My 7 year old bitch was spayed at 6 months old and she is not clippered.  She was - by two groomers - and it really ruined her coat.  Now I do her myself she looks loads better and her coat is much flatter and smoother again.

But do you strip her.
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline sarahp

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2006, 02:10:34 PM »
Daisy is 2 yrs old and was spayed a year ago.  She is not clippered (although OH would like her to be  ::)) she is not stripped - tbh I wouldnt know where to start  :lol:  but she is regulalry coat-kinged and her coat is fine except where a groomer clipered her back even when I asked her not to  >:D  the bit that has been clippered now gets Farah Fawcett flicks when it gets too long - very trendy at the moment so I'm told  :005:
Sarah & The Roan Rangers - Daisy Dog & Dill Boy

The average dog has one request to all humankind. Love me

Offline silkstocking

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2006, 06:04:02 PM »
Nancy is spayed but it was only 6/7 months ago, her coat has changed but so far we are lucky she had a non strip coat to begin with and although it has got thicker but for her that hasnt made a difference, as of yet. I do have to strip it now though, but she is a long way a way from needing to be clippered.

Penel

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2006, 07:26:33 PM »

But do you strip her.

I strip her body and top of her head yes.  I use thinning scissors on the rest of the bits that need doing, or / and a Coat king - I do NOT use clippers on the main part of her body ever.

Offline happydog

• Site Member
  • Run free, my Beautiful Bella 2005-2017
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2006, 07:36:04 PM »
My 7 year old bitch was speyed at 14 months. Her coat has not gone thick, coarse, fluffy, wooly or unmanageable in any way. It is beautifully fine and silky.  :huh: .
happydog

Whatever today brings, ensure that you make some good memories

Penel

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2006, 09:18:33 PM »
is yours a working cocker though Happydog - my working cockers coat is exactly the same as it was before she was spayed - it's only my show cocker whose coat changed.

Offline happydog

• Site Member
  • Run free, my Beautiful Bella 2005-2017
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2006, 10:09:10 PM »
is yours a working cocker though Happydog - my working cockers coat is exactly the same as it was before she was spayed - it's only my show cocker whose coat changed.
Ahah. That must be it!  ph34r  :embarassed: Blonde moment. I thought it was assumed all bitches coats changed after speying, regardless of breed. Yes she's a working cocker  :lol:
happydog

Whatever today brings, ensure that you make some good memories

Offline redmal

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2006, 04:11:38 PM »
the 3 setters I know best who have been spayed all had different "coat outcomes". Fay had an emergency spay (pyometra) and her coat is HORRIBLE- coat king is not enough, to be honest we just got used to her being like a "badly knitted teddy". Jasmine had a lovely coat, but it is now long & not so glossy, though she doesnt need too much "coat kinging", not too bad. Missy had a thin coat & hers is no different from before really, flat, shiny & still thin. Casey who is castrated has the worst coat ever- thick, curly, mats in a moment, fluffy and just awful. If anybody has any tips they would be very welcome. He used to have the most gorgeous coat, silky & lovely.