Author Topic: haircut 100  (Read 13111 times)

Offline saffy1

• Site Member
haircut 100
« on: March 14, 2003, 11:55:58 PM »
hi there,
saffy..or scruffy as we DID call her went for a trim......she is only 7 mnths old and her hair was getting a bit long.We took her to a groomers.(crufts breed runner up),and naturally we were a bit scared of what she would end up looking like.The groomer said she wouldnt cut her short..but when i picked her up she looked like a shaved lamb with BIG ears!!!!!!!!!.She hasnt been shaved really short but enough short ti give us a shock.Her legs look so skinny now.compared to her "snow boots" she used to have.I will post some pics for u to see what i mean...but is this normal for a cocker to be cut this way...i like it better when she has a bit of hair!!!!!!!!!!!!!! see ya soon..........mark                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
haircut 100
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2003, 12:16:23 AM »
Hi Mark

Sometimes if you are used to a hairy looking puppy with a lot of fluff, then when you get them back minus fluff with neatly trimmed feet etc, it can come as a bit of a shock :) Having said that, if you asked for your puppy to be handstripped & specifically said that you didn't want the coat to be cut short, then she shouldn't have been shaved off like a lamb, unless the coat was very matted & tangled up in which case a fairly close cut would be justified. It all depends on what you asked for & what state Saffy's coat was in as to what you could reasonably expect her to look like after a trim. Cockers with "snow boots" may look cute but they shouldn't really look like that - they should have neat, tidy feet (much more practical too as they don't bring nearly so much mud in as big, hairy feet ;D)                    
Jane

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
haircut 100
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2003, 08:15:21 AM »
Mark - it would be good to see a picture of Saffy so that we can see what has happened.

I remember when Jaspers feet were trimmed for the first time. I was there with the breeder as she was showing me what to do. He went in with huge fluffy pancake things on the end of his legs and came out with the most dainty looking tootsies that did make him look a different dog. It took us a while to get used to it too. She stripped his head which made him look such a grown up boy - no longer the great ball of fluff we had got used to ;D. It is usually just the visual shock of never having seen them look like that before. :)

The slightly worrying thing with your case is where you say "The groomer said she wouldnt cut her short" - unless, as Jane says, you specified a hand strip - and talked about cutting then it seems a clip is what was expected by the person doing the grooming as opposed to a hand strip. Either way - it will grow back. :)                    
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline Jen

• Site Member
haircut 100
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2003, 09:53:23 PM »
OMG!!! Monty is going for his first haircut tomorrow.  Veteran COL ers will have seen that he is a 7 month old ball of blue roan fluff.  This thread has worried me now.....I'm going to make sure I say NO clippers......                    
Jen & Monty xx

Offline Jen

• Site Member
haircut 100
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2003, 09:27:10 AM »
...I'm going to make sure I say NO clippers......

The groomer took one look at Monty and said she would HAVE to use the clippers to "skim" him as he's so hairy :o.....
I voiced my concerns of him looking "sheep like" - but she has reassured me that will not happen and that I should calm down & trust her (so I must have sounded like a neurotic nutter!)......as I post this...he's there being done....roll on 1.30pm.  Will I pick up a cocker or a sheep???? Watch this space :-                    
Jen & Monty xx

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
haircut 100
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2003, 09:43:23 AM »
Oh Jen - sorry but I've never looked at a hairy puppy & said I would have to clip him or her :( Cockers puppies are hairy & anyone used to handstripping them knows that you can't do it all at once & you just have to be patient & wait until the coat is ready to come out naturally, not just get your clippers out. I don't think you were being neurotic at all - you know what you wanted but unfortunately, this isn't what you are going to get :(                    
Jane

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
haircut 100
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2003, 09:46:50 AM »
Jen - I do hope Monty is OK.

What is is with all these commercial groomers who don't think the owners know anything >:( When you are paying for a service you have the right to say what that service should be. If they then don't want to do it that way - as is their right - then so be it - but it's the attitude that gets me. I bet they wouldn't let a hairdresser take clippers to their head willy nilly!!                    
Pam n the boys

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
haircut 100
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2003, 09:52:59 AM »
Echoing what Jane and Pam say - dont want to add to your probably growing concerns Jen, but it sounds like she might not have much experience with cockers. Is Monty's puppy fur still not giving? If that's the case, I hope that by 'skimming', she just means lightly touching the surface to tidy him up A LITTLE, rather than getting rid of the whole coat before it's ready to be stripped.                    

Offline Jen

• Site Member
haircut 100
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2003, 10:23:30 AM »
You lot are making me cak myself now...I am going to pick him up with my eyes shut! :'(
I searched for a reputable groomer - this one is experienced  - she's been doing it for 30 years! .....and there is a gallery in the foyer of the reception area that had pictures of loads of dogs in breed 'sets' - one of the collections being cockers....all of which looked alright to my untrained eye.  I don't want a show dog - but I don't want a sheep either!
I don't know anyone with cockers who could recommend a groomer in my area.....so I was kinda stuck really & went for one who was experienced AND had done cockers.
From the comments I am getting from you guys though - looks like I'll have to rename Monty "Larry the Lamb" :-                    
Jen & Monty xx

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
haircut 100
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2003, 10:31:34 AM »
Sorry for getting you worried Jen - I'm sure this groomer is highly experienced, most commercial groomers are very experienced at doing Cockers but only using clippers. I'd guess your groomer doesn't offer handstripping for Cockers (which incidentally is not just for show dogs!) but as long as she doesn't cut him too short & you're happy with the results, then that's fine ;D                    
Jane

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
haircut 100
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2003, 10:36:02 AM »
Does the gallery show dogs that she herself has groomed?

She may well be an experienced groomer of 30 years, but cocker coats are quite unique.... however, if the groomer told you to relax and trust her that he wont end up like a shorn lamb, then I'm betting that she's just going to tidy Monty up lightly as he's not ready for real stripping :)

To be honest, I decided to try and maintain Daisy's coat myself with the various grooming tools we mention regularly on this site, because I wasnt confident of finding a good cocker groomer in my area and I wanted Daisy to keep a full cocker coat. Might be soemthing for you to consider, Jen?  ;)                    

Offline Jen

• Site Member
haircut 100
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2003, 11:01:51 AM »
Does the gallery show dogs that she herself has groomed?

To be honest, I decided to try and maintain Daisy's coat myself with the various grooming tools we mention regularly on this site, because I wasnt confident of finding a good cocker groomer in my area and I wanted Daisy to keep a full cocker coat. Might be soemthing for you to consider, Jen?  ;)

Yes Mike  :)......I assume it is a gallery of the dogs she has groomed over the years.....as she did say she had done many cockers and gestured towards the pics.....

I take my hat off to you MIke for your dedication with Daisy's coat -  on your own...alas - my already hectic life would not allow for me to spend more than the 20 mins a-day I already dedicate to the ordeal of brushing.....plus if I'm honest...faffing about with a dogs coat isn't really my thing ;) - which is why I am paying a professional (a lot!) - to, it seems, 'sheer' my dog. ::)

You are all referring to this groomer as a "commercial groomer" - do you mean one that does lots of different breeds - would it have been better to find one that is an exclusive cocker groomer? - Many suggest contacting the breeder - but Monty was not born locally - certainly not local enough to go for a haircut anyway.
What a headache this is turning out to be! :(                    
Jen & Monty xx

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
haircut 100
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2003, 11:20:36 AM »
I wouldnt think you'd need more than 20 mins a day to maintain Monty's coat yourself Jen  :) Using the coat king once a month, or the spratts comb on a daily basis to keep tangles at bay and pull out dead fur, or even pinching dead fur out with your fingers, is no harder or more time consuming than brushing - I didnt think it would be my cup of tea either, but I quite enjoy doing it. And it's good for bonding with your dog too  :D Just a thought, anyways.                    

Offline Christine

• Site Member
haircut 100
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2003, 12:33:43 PM »
Hi Jen, dont worry I'm sure Monty will be fine, put a picture up when you can of the new slick Monty  ;D

I think I'm lucky with Jasper he wont need any of this, he's just started to get little feathery bits on his legs ;D

I think Monty would look adorable no matter what ;D  He will always be a little bundle of fluff in my eyes ;D                    
Jaspers mummy :)

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
haircut 100
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2003, 01:04:06 PM »

You are all referring to this groomer as a "commercial groomer" - do you mean one that does lots of different breeds - would it have been better to find one that is an exclusive cocker groomer? - Many suggest contacting the breeder - but Monty was not born locally - certainly not local enough to go for a haircut anyway.
What a headache this is turning out to be! :(

A commercial groomer is one who does it for a living - and they usually do several breeds. This does not necessarily mean they don't do a good job and some deal with certain breeds better than others. A good groomer will know what technique is the correct one for the particular breed. As with all professions you find those that are sensitive to the needs of their clients and those that aren't.

Fingers x'd that Monty will be fine.                    
Pam n the boys