Author Topic: Surely we have the Hairest Cocker!?  (Read 5306 times)

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
Surely we have the Hairest Cocker!?
« on: May 04, 2006, 01:26:14 PM »
Hi, new to this forum and new to owner Cocker spaniels, well dogs in general!

I have wanted a dog for some time, partly to help my Autistic son overcome fear of going out and also daughters perceived fear of dogs, they are 10 and 11 respectively.

Anyway after a couple of unsuccessful trials of rescue dogs we saw advert in local pet stoe for "9month old cocker spaniel free to good home".

Now we all know that nothing in life is free but sounded Ok and explanation why no longer able to keep the young man....... then the mystery unfolded.  Papers confirmed a totally different registered owner, contacted them to find they had to part with him after just a couple of months as their old dog couldn't stand having a pup around, they also had a hefty bill when he developed cherry eye, anyway owner 2 steped in to replace a cocker who'd died (?). tiny bungalow but confined to an even smaller kitchen when he started chewing the furniture and digging the garden (they might have forgotten to tell us that!) BUT it was obvious that their mobility problems meant they hadn't taken him for a walk much longer than the length of the front path in 5 months!

Anyway here he is, still after 6 weeks,  and with a history like that you have to forgive the chewing aerial cables, printer cables and daughters' school shoes (she'll put them away next time)  Rather hyper but now lots of exercise so hope that tones down?!?!?

BUT look at that hair, as anyone seen a longer haired head, we are constantly asked what breed he is, I even have his 5 generation pedigree to prove he's all Cocker!  Off to dog groomer to move some of it, though mixed feelings because it makes him "Jasper", any suggestions where I can get a good guide to trim myself in future?

Surely ours is the Hairest Cocker Spaniel of all!?!?

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i180/jaspersmum/Jasper/P1010012.jpg

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline MrsMac

• Site Member
    • http://
Re: Surely we have the Hairest Cocker!?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2006, 01:36:21 PM »
Awww he looks like a minature Afghan - he's so gorgeous  :luv: :luv:

Welcome to COL, I belong to Melody who is a 6 month old blue roan bitch.  Sorry can't help with the grooming cos we are only just reaching the stage where she needs a new 'do' ourselves  :lol:

I'm sure someone will be along soon to help.
Mairi & Melody
Melody

Friends are the angels that lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly

Offline Woody's Mum

• Site Member
  • ''The dog is the god of frolic''
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2006, 01:38:45 PM »
Hello and Welcome to COL!

:005: That is one hairy head!!  :005:
With Love, Toni & Woody xx

www.myspace.com/tonitee

Offline Mollycuddles

• Donator
  • cockers have a lotta fun
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2006, 01:55:51 PM »
Hello and Welcome to COL :D    ......you've cetainly picked the best place for advice....

Jasper is. ..hairy ...but also a gorgeous cocker :luv: :luv:   ...

Have a read at the first four threads at the begining of this grooming section ...lots of info there....but hoprfully someone will come along and give you some good advice
Poor boy he's been through quite a lot in his short life ...he sounds well adjusted and typical cocker considering all the upsets he's had....
Lyn, Molly, Georgie, Dagen, Tessa & Alfie X

Offline Abby

• Site Member
    • Pub Dog Days
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2006, 02:03:20 PM »
Wow - Jasper is gorgeous!  :luv: Such a great photo. He could give our Clive a run for his money when it comes to hairiness. Clive's now been a bit trimmed, but it grows so quick I'm going to have to trim his head every 2-3 weeks! This is how he was before we attacked his top knot with the scissors...

Good luck with Jasper, he looks very happy  :D
Abby, Clive n Dylan

Offline Annette

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2006, 02:16:21 PM »
Jasper is the most beautiful Yetisheep, woolly mammoth Cocker I've seen! :005:

What a start in life. I hope you will have a long and happy life together, and that your kids will get on well with him.

Offline janejohn

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2006, 02:27:16 PM »
Hairy but absolutally gorgeous!!  :luv:

Welcome to COL it's a fab site and has helped me no end!
Jane, Sapphire and Merlin x

Offline DennyK

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2006, 02:42:38 PM »
Blimey O'Reilly and his half-brother Cripes!!  That is the hairiest cocker I've ever seen, you're right!

but also absolutely gorgeous and is that a cute, but mischievous glint in his eye??

Welcome to COL.

Where do you live?  If you let us know, someone may be able to recommend a good groomers near to you.  In terms of what "cut" you want for him, do you have any ideas?  Someone has recently suggested what they called a "short show trim" - there's a picture on one of these grooming threads from the last few weeks, I'll see if I can find it, because I couldn't describe what I want my puppy, Paddy, to look like if I took him to the groomers.   Will post again with a link or thread name.

Denise

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2006, 03:10:31 PM »
He's lovely  :luv: What a rough start he's had though  :huh: poor wee thing probably doesn't know if he's coming or going.
He might have some relatives on COL, it would be good if you post some of his pedigree on the Genetics and Breeding section and we'll see how many COL'ers Cockers are related to Jasper.
As Denise says, there are different ways to trim a Cocker, perosnally I don't like the shorn sheep look, but show type trim with shorter feathers is nice. If he's only about 7-8 months he'll have alot of puppy coat that should be ready to start to come out, when it does he'll be nice and sleek  :shades:

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2006, 03:22:00 PM »
He is gorgeous :luv:
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline DennyK

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2006, 03:31:13 PM »
Found the thread!  

Look at "Can anyone stop a "domestic"????" thread at the bottom of this page of thread listings.  A few great photos there - Molo, Jess and also look at the Clive thread for a home-grown (or home groomed!) job.

Do post piccies before and after on here!

Denise

Offline allym

• Site Member
  • Grrrrrrrrr!
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2006, 04:20:36 PM »
Wow! He really does look like a miniature Afghan!! Gorgeous though!  Good Luck!
Ally and Henry the Hound xx

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2006, 05:14:54 PM »
Well just dropped him off at a groomers recommended by a friend with Springers, she seemed to understand that although I wanted some thinning an tidy-up, I do not want him looking like a shawn sheep!  Will post piccies as soon as able when I have collected him, let you all be the judge!  Talked through what she was going to do so fingers crossed!

As for glints in eyes etc, yes he loves to help with the washing, drop a sock and its down the garden faster than you thought possible.

The brush in the mouth is not "please groom me!" it's I've got it so now I am going to eat it....

He is quite difficult to groom at the moment as he does bite, not in a nasty way but those teeth sure are sharp at 10 months old and no toy seems to replace the need for the hand or brush but I hope time and patience will overcome this.

Will post on the breeding forum as although I have found a lot about his mothers side through the internet, not found any piccies on Fathers although seems the prefix crops up a lot (Cardamine).

Thanks for all the suggestions, we are in Kidderminster, Worcestershire if anyone recommends groomers etc near here.

We also need a good dog training classes that Jasper can do with my daughter - again recommendations welcome...

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2006, 05:19:55 PM »

I look forward to seeing the post grooming pics, I'm sure he'll look really handsome - it will probably take you a while to get used to his new look though, it comes as a bit of a shock when you first see them looking all neat and tidy.  :lol:

For training classes try here...

http://www.apdt.co.uk/list_trainers.asp

Before Jimmy had his first trim I regularly got asked if he was a miniature Afghan. At the time I couldn't see what people were going on about. In retrospect though...

Offline Abby

• Site Member
    • Pub Dog Days
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2006, 05:36:22 PM »
Aw..Jimmy  :luv: :luv:
Abby, Clive n Dylan