Author Topic: Coat King blades and moulting  (Read 1144 times)

Offline DennyK

• Site Member
    • http://
Coat King blades and moulting
« on: August 23, 2006, 03:48:49 PM »
Couple of questions:

1.  I've been using a slicker brush for a couple of weeks instead of the Coat King.  got the Coat King out last night and it seemed not to work.  Do the blades go blunt?  Are they replaceable or capable of being sharpened?  If so - how do you sharpen them?  Only had the Coat King seven months and only gets used properly every five days, so I was a bit surprised that it wasn't removing any hair...

2.  Moulting.  Paddy's hair (solid black) has been coming out in bucket loads over the last three weeks or so - no bald patches but it's covering everything (he's 9 and a half months old now).  Why?  Is it age related, season related (shedding to grow more/thicker for autumn/winter) or could it be colitis/nutrition related?  He hasn't been neutered.

Thanks in advance!

Denise

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Re: Coat King blades and moulting
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2006, 05:38:20 PM »
Moulting at 9 months wouldn't be unusual - it's probably the remains of Paddy's puppy coat coming out. If you don a pair of marigolds, you could probably strip out by hand any loose hair still to come out :D

I don't think your Coat King is blunt although if you bought the pro version, you can buy replacement blades but most of us find a blunter Coat King is actually more effective and will strip rather than cut the coat. Sometimes a Coat King won't work if the coat isn't thick enough - it will just bounce over the top of the coat and not take any hair with it.
Jane

Offline Neville

• Site Member
  • Me 13 weeks old
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2006, 02:09:14 PM »

Can you tell me what a coat king is please?  Is it a stripping blade?  And where do I get one from?
Look forward to hearing from you!

Offline Joelf

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2006, 07:20:09 PM »
A coat king will cut the coat although as Jane says once it becomes a little blunt it tends to strip the coat & it's a very useful tool for keeping the coat of a pet cocker tidy.

I got mine from www.simpsons-online.co.uk  a very useful site for all things needed for grooming cockers.
Jo, Domino (cocker) & Spike (black lab.)

Offline Michele

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2006, 07:45:47 PM »
You could also try using a metal comb with an elastic band woven through it and then back again on the alternate teeth. Lay it flat to the coat and draw it through, that should help get any remaining puppy coat out.

Offline DennyK

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2006, 10:58:28 AM »
Moulting at 9 months wouldn't be unusual - it's probably the remains of Paddy's puppy coat coming out. If you don a pair of marigolds, you could probably strip out by hand any loose hair still to come out :D

I don't think your Coat King is blunt although if you bought the pro version, you can buy replacement blades but most of us find a blunter Coat King is actually more effective and will strip rather than cut the coat. Sometimes a Coat King won't work if the coat isn't thick enough - it will just bounce over the top of the coat and not take any hair with it.

Thanks for all the replies.

Jane - sorry to be dumb - what's the difference between stripping and cutting - is stripping removing by the roots = equivalent to plucking?

What's your view on using a slicker brush?

His coat is beginning to look gorgeous now: don't know if it's the natural progression to adult coat or whether it's the raw food diet he's been on for a few weeks.  I've been putting it down to the diet!  Is there a book or article/website that talks about how a cocker's coat progresses as it grows? 

Thanks.

Denise