Author Topic: Surely we have the Hairest Cocker!?  (Read 5305 times)

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
Re: Surely we have the Hairest Cocker!?
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2006, 03:28:44 PM »
I think Hamish is his brother in hair!

Jasper is gorgous!
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Offline mollymoll

• Site Member
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2006, 08:28:11 PM »
Molly's really hairy too and looks like a blue roan version of Jasper pre grooming.  (Still haven't worked out how to post photos - I'll get there one day)  Have had a go with a coat king and got some of the fluff away, but she still looks like a yeti, but we rather love her like that!  Her chaotic coat suits her chaotic personality! However, she's coming to France for a month in the summer so I think I'm going to have to tackle it before then or she'll be far too hot.  I still haven't seen a cocker locally who has been groomed as I would wish it - they all seem to be agressively clipped, so i guess I'll just carry on with the coat king.
Amanda and Molly

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2006, 09:12:48 PM »
Now we have a shorter version I fully intend to kit myself out with the list of kit from one of the other links AND I've just won an Ebay auction for a video on trimming English Cocker spaniels so hope to do it myself in future.

A friend used to have Cockers and trimmed her own although she refused to try to start on Jasper until he looked more like the model she recognised.

All I need is a dog that stops still long enough to even brush!

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
  • Look mum - no legs :)
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2006, 11:11:41 PM »
Jasper is beautiful  :luv: and Im pleased he has finally found his forever home :)

Now Im no expert when it comes to grooming because Alfie hates it with a passion :( (hes going under the clippers for the fist time next week) but I do find it easier to set him up high to do the job. I use the kitchen table with him standing on a bath mat. I also find that if I keep to a routine such as doing it every morning before his long walk he sort of becomes resigned to it. While hes so tidy now is the time to start him getting used to the idea. Just pop him up high, keep a hold on him and just brush him through with the slicker. Once hes used to that then work in the combs (rubber band threaded through the teeth works wonders on fluff) and coat king and the scissors. Just add a little extra at a time - sometimes takes me a week to trim all four paws :)
Caroline and Alfie

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2006, 07:23:49 AM »
Must admit thatI introduced him to a soft nylon muzzle because he is constantly trying to bite either the brush or scissors and I've found that this and slipping his lead over something high, he gives up quickly and lets me get on with grooming.  I deliberately keep it short and lots of fuss and a treat after, hope that it will make it easier for both of us as time goes on.

BUT paws! they are going to be fun to get to, especially the back ones as I'm sure he'll just sit on them!

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline Max X 2

• Site Member
« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2006, 04:10:20 PM »
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n320/maxinesmith/MAXMarch061stDay.jpg

Hi

I had another hairy pooch.  Thankfully he doesn't look like this anymore.  I managed to book him into the groomers within a few days of getting him & she said "is there a dog under there?".  She breeds/shows cockers too!
Maxine owned by Max & Harry

Offline Luvly

• Site Member
« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2006, 05:01:03 PM »
x
Nikkoletta + Wunderschöne Welpen Lindos demais

Offline Jeeves

• Site Member
  • Mrs Bridges - International Love Goddess!
« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2006, 09:29:18 PM »
Good grief Max - is that a mobile mat???!!  :005:
Parker, Mrs Bridges, Ronald and Jeeves (my Little Bear, no longer with us) and Nicky (that's me!)