Author Topic: eyelashes  (Read 1586 times)

Offline winewood

• Donator
  • Now in Italy
eyelashes
« on: May 03, 2006, 11:32:56 PM »
Hi I have two questions,

1. Indi's eylashes are quite long do you just leave them alone or do you cut them and keep them at a certain length?

2. Kody (black) nearly six months at the moment he  looks like a miniture newfoundland :005: now named mini newfee, my hubby and son love him long a woolly and I keep saying I'm going to turn him into a cocker and get rid of half the boy :lol: what happens if we just leave him does the puppy coat itch them as is should be stripped out and besides having lots of trouble with grooming and knots does the coat just keep growing and getting longer?
Owned and trained by two mad cockers

Offline Abby

• Site Member
    • Pub Dog Days
Re: eyelashes
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2006, 10:27:07 AM »
Sounds like Clive a month ago - so much fluff you could barely see the puppy! It is puppy fluff rather than adult coat and will come out really easily when it's ready and reveal the longer adult coat below. We've been using a coat king on Clive now for a few weeks and I still can't believe how much fluff came out the first time (I think we should have started earlier). He needs doing probably twice a week as there is still fluff to come out but his coat is much more manageable now than before, though I notice his armpits and behind his ears had all of a sudden got matted so I'm working through them now and will keep them trimmed much shorter from now on.

By the sound of it, best to start on that puppy fluff - especially with the warmer weather coming. Kody'll be very grateful (with the result even if not with the grooming itself  :005:!
Abby, Clive n Dylan

Offline DennyK

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2006, 10:36:19 AM »
I agree - get a Coat King and get grooming, it takes all that fluff out and you get to see the dog within!

On eyelashes - don't touch them!  I asked a similar question about Paddy (six months now) who is solid black - eyelashes like a French cartoon cat - literally about two inches long, looping sideways rather than coming forward like human lashes.  Apart from the fact I think they're beautiful ( :luv: :luv:), I also read that they have good protective functions - twofold. 

First, as with all lashes, they protect against dust/grit/bits getting into the eye - a filtering system - and secondly, they alert the dog to obstacles near its eyes when they're out and about - a bit like whiskers on a cat.  So just sit back and admire with envy!!

The Mars Coat King details are on one of the permanent explanatory threads here on grooming, at the top - probably on "Equipment", to get the right size.  They're very therapeutic and satisfying (in that "popping spots" way :o) to use!

Denise

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2006, 03:05:23 PM »
Eyelashes - cut them!!

Mine have always been trimmed and they've never had a problem ;)
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2006, 03:13:37 PM »
I trim eyelashes too  ;)

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2006, 03:14:57 PM »
I cut Misty's eyelashes off too - Jimmy doesn't really grow them. I like a nice smooth whisker and eyelash free face/head. Not that I have ever achieved total smoothness yet though.  

Offline Annette

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2006, 08:34:29 PM »
Eyelashes - cut them!!

Mine have always been trimmed and they've never had a problem ;)

NOOOOOOOOOOOO! :o

How can you do that?

Buddy has just grown eyelashes, and I love them (but then I keep his whiskers on too  ph34r)

To think I have listened to you guys for a year, and trusted you. And now I find out you cut eyelashes. It's a crime, and I'll have to report you to the eyelash police. :police:

Just joking. Shocked and tunned as I am, it's a personal choice. ;)

Offline JoanneM

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2006, 08:46:29 PM »
I love the long eyelash look :luv: Murphys sister Maisy has the most beautiful eyelashes and she looks so ladylike  :angel:.
Although I admit Murphys are trimmed - my ohs mum takes him to the groomer and everytime she asks for them to be left - and everytime she cuts them  :'(

Offline speedyjaney

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2006, 10:32:25 PM »
We leave Jessies eyelashes but remove the whiskers lol

Offline Shirley

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2006, 10:35:56 PM »
I trim Morgan's eyelashes back when they get too long but I don't take them off altogether.  I do cut all whiskers off though.  Cooper doesn't grow eyelashes and he only gets whiskers on the right hand side - sure it's something to do with his missing 'bit'   ph34r :005:
Shirley, Morgan and Cooper
Morgan's Page                                  Videos of my boys

Offline silkstocking

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2006, 10:44:29 PM »
Another eye lash trimmer, whisker cutter here and proud of it!!!!  ph34r  :D  It enhances a cockers good looks IMO !!!!  :-*  :005:

In Milo's case its better for his lushious long lashes to be chopped a bit to be honest, it helps his eyes clog less in the hayfever season. xxxxx

Offline winewood

• Donator
  • Now in Italy
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2006, 10:55:31 PM »
Thank you for replys, as I like the whiskers to be left on I think I'll leave the eyelashes. As for Kody, I would give the grooming to hubby but as its the puppy coat which does'nt seem to tangle and knot like the adult coat.  I'll get stuck into him with the coat king :005: next time he travels OS  :luv:
Owned and trained by two mad cockers

Offline DennyK

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2006, 11:54:40 AM »
I am, like Annette, in shock.  Cut off those eyelashes?????  Never.  You brutes.  Just think how pretttttty your dogs would look - even better than now - with those cutie lashes still attached.

Paddy - your eyelashes are a scissor-free zone, I promise. 

Denise

Sworn to uphold & protect dogs' eyelashes :angel: :police: :angel: