Author Topic: First clip  (Read 1049 times)

Offline tjsheps

• Site Member
First clip
« on: May 08, 2006, 12:23:27 PM »
Blue is just over 5 months and is getting very fluffy.  She has been with our other dog to be just washed and dried, but the groomer now says its time to use clippers on her.  My gut feeling is that she is to young and i thought that hand stripping would be better for her coat, am i right?   Where do i find someone who doesn't rely on clippers , we are in the New Forest area.

Tracey, Blue and Charlie

Offline Mollycuddles

• Donator
  • cockers have a lotta fun
Re: First clip
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2006, 12:52:50 PM »
Hi Tracey
Sorry cant help on a groomer
I personally dont like the coat clipped but some do it for convenience it's a matter of choice
Blue maybe a bit young for stripping but you could have the top of her head tidied and her paws, you'd be able to do that yourself. Not many groomers would hand strip anyway because of the time involved, perhaps get yourself a Coat King and see if you can manage

http://www.hubintsecured.co.uk/acatalog/Coat_Kings.html
I have only had to tidy Georgies feet as his coats no that long and fluffy yet so easily managed
Lyn, Molly, Georgie, Dagen, Tessa & Alfie X

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2006, 01:26:21 PM »
As Mollycuddles says, all the fluff is her puppy coat - it could be ready to come out but it could be too early yet. I personally wouldn't use  clippers on it - you'd get a far more natural finish by either handstripping or using a Coat King. Basically there's 3 ways of trimming a Cocker...

1. Handstripping. Using finger and thumb to pull out the dead hair on the back etc. All the show dogs you see are groomed this way, together with using thinning scissors in certain places. It seems hardly any commercial groomers offer a handstripping service - if Blue's breeder is close by and active in the show world then he/she may be able to help you out here, or recommend someone who could.

2. Coat King. A hand stripping tool that's fantastic for us pet owners. You don't get quite the neatness that you do by handstripping but it's far quicker, less painful on the fingers and a good compromise between handstripping and clipping. When Blue's puppyfluff is ready to come out, you'll be amazed at how easy the Coat King is to use and just how big a pile of fluff it will produce. Thinners can be used in conjuction with this for ears, throat and feathering.

3. Clipping. The least aesthetically pleasing option but many people find it easier to have their Cockers clipped. Downside is you don't get a very natural finish at all and the coat will grow back coarse and curly. To keep Blue looking neat she'd need regular clipping - once she's been done a few times then it's likely there'd be no going back - handstripping wouldn't be possible on the new course hairgrowth and possibly the Coat King wouldn't have mucsh effect either. I personally would avoid having my dogs clipped - but if you decide to go for this, try and find a groomer who won't just clipper the whole coat off from head to tail but will leave a bit of leg and body feathering. Try and avoid having the head clipped though - it looks dreadful in my opinion - ask the groomer to use thinning scissors and try and blend it in with the tops of the ears.

Even if you use a professional groomer it's a good idea to buy a decent pair of straight edged scissors for tidying up the paws and keeping the ear canals free of hair, to help air flow. This needs doing on almost a weekly basis ( well it does on my two anyway. :lol: ) As Mollycuddles says, this is the best place to start with a pup - paws, ear canasl and maybe also the tail.

If you decide to learn to trim Blue yourself then all the info is out there on the Grooming section - many of us COLers have learnt to do it ourselves. It can be quite daunting at first but eventually gets easier.  :lol:

Offline Abby

• Site Member
    • Pub Dog Days
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2006, 01:36:09 PM »
Coat King and scissors is definitely the way to go. Clive is now 7 months and we've been using the Coat King for about a month - its amazing how much has come out and is still coming out! I'm using at least twice a week at the moment, and trimming paws, ears and armpits with straight scissors nad thinning scissors. He's not exactly fond of the scissors  ph34r but is fine with teh Coat King and with practice we're both getting better at it!

Well worth the money and putting a bit of time in at the start. I'm not a fan of clipping, I don't think it suits Cockers at all. You're right about her being too young anyway.
Abby, Clive n Dylan

Offline DennyK

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2006, 02:43:32 PM »
I second the Coat King - great tool and Paddy likes it so much he snoozes through it.

On clippering - I don't like the look of it, and yesterday saw a cocker out on our walk which had been shorn - no other word for it.  Her owners said they regretted it (little dog was five years old) but after the first time it was done, her coat was so coarse that it was awful to deal with and so they've persisted. 

To touch, the coat wasn't nasty but more wiry, and it was certainly tougher than Paddy's (which at six months is silky and soft on his body - adult hair - and a lot of fluff on his legs - yesterday's Coat King session was the first ever to take a lot off his legs and they look better already!) and not really very nice at all.

Get a Coat King - you'll be amazed, as Colin says, at the difference it makes.

Denise

Offline tjsheps

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2006, 06:58:00 PM »
Thanks for the advice - looks like a Coat King and scissors is the order of the day for us.

Tracey, Blue and Charlie.