Author Topic: Blue Roan Puppy Coat  (Read 978 times)

Offline allym

• Site Member
  • Grrrrrrrrr!
Blue Roan Puppy Coat
« on: May 15, 2006, 12:48:14 PM »
Hey everyone!

Just a quick question about puppy fur. Henry and I have been going to Ring-Craft classes, with the intention of showing him.  I've been learning how to groom / strip him myself.  For the past few weeks I've been running a Spratts comb (with an elastic band through it) through his back every evening, to try and get rid of the dead hair.  However, I've just begun to notice that his white fur seems to be coming out more easily than the black (I'm finding white fur everywhere!).  I've tentatively tried hand-stripping some of the white bits and it is coming out quite easily, while the black bits are just fluffy!

Question is - Should I stop and wait for the black to 'catch-up' or should I start hand-stripping the white bits now?

Thanks!!
Ally and Henry the Hound xx

Offline Abby

• Site Member
    • Pub Dog Days
Re: Blue Roan Puppy Coat
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2006, 04:21:09 PM »
Clive is exactly the same, Ally (no surprise there!  :005:). The number of white hairs that come out when I groom him by far outnumber the dark ones, and the areas that are only black are much fluffier still than the mixed areas, which are more like an adult's coat.

Don't know what the answer is though!
Abby, Clive n Dylan

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
  • Look mum - no legs :)
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2006, 11:05:56 PM »
Alie is two soon and his black bits still dont come out without the coat king or a rubber band threaded through a comb. He always has sticky out bits around his black patches, still gets mistaken for a young pup with puppy fluff. Show material hes not but I love him all the same  :luv:
Caroline and Alfie

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2006, 11:09:11 PM »
Oooh, weird - Molo is exactly the opposite; mountains of black hair with the coat-king or comb/band method, but little or no white hair comes out at all
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline nezzielou

• Limited Member
  • XX My ZoO Is Bk! XX
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2006, 07:25:34 PM »
 :luv: i think mork looks cute as he is a lighter blue roan. all his hair is smooth but the 2 patches of black on his back and sides which stand out like a sore thumb as they are so fluffy  :005: its like a shaved head that has just 2 patches of hair!  :luv:
Lv BeX n ZoO XxXx