Author Topic: advice needed please...  (Read 890 times)

Offline amanol

• Site Member
advice needed please...
« on: June 01, 2006, 11:17:53 AM »
Poppy is now 9 months old and it is a nightmare to brush her. I have been doing it regularly since we got her when she was 13 weeks old. She gets very excited when she sees the brush and jumps on the bench on her own. As soon as I start brushing her she goes for the brush   >:D and it is very hard for me to brush her properly. The only area where it is not a problem are her ears. I can brush them without her "attacking" the brush.
As I thought it would get better with time and it hasn't I am now a bit depressed   :'( . If you have any advice and if you have managed to overcome this problem please let me know how.

Offline no time for this

• Site Member
Re: advice needed please...
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2006, 11:23:21 AM »
Sounds like she thinks its a bit of a game, confuse her and use two brushes! Sorry, sure one of the show people will have some better advice

Offline Petra

• Site Member
  • yippee, water!!
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2006, 10:53:24 PM »
Dillon is exactly the same, and I do have to use two brushes!!   I have an old soft-haired puppy brush which I let him chew, and use his 'proper' brush to brush him with....

Bribery with treats also works well, but at nearly 1 year old Dill still thinks 'bite the brush' is a great game!!

Petra

Offline chelsea

• Site Member
    • http://www.quintaviacockerspaniels.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2006, 01:57:05 PM »
You need to be firm.
Do you brush her on a table? If she's fidgity then try an do it on an ironing table, this way she'll be trying to balance so shouldn't attack the brush. Hold he head if she is on a table so she can't move an then brush the rest of her.

HTH!

[X] Chelsea [X]

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2006, 02:18:22 PM »
I had this problem with Fern to start with. But have over come that by being firm that it is grooming time and not play time.

But I do have another problem on the same lines!  Why does she keep lying down on one side or rolling on to her back?

Sorry to hog your thread amanol