Author Topic: Question for people who fully clip  (Read 5762 times)

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
Re: Question for people who fully clip
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2006, 10:32:36 PM »
Same hre Sarah - every morning, I sweep or vacuum our bedroom floor, and it's black with dust as they fall asleep and dry off! Was considering carpet but probably not as hygenic.
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
  • Look mum - no legs :)
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2006, 10:43:50 PM »
That's a good point, Hamish and Indie are rarely on leads, and pretty much never walked on roads, so basically hurl themselves through bushes and into streams when we go out.

Same here - Daisy and Dill dont consider it a proper walk unless they have been swimming and gathered have a ton of crap in their fur - my kitchen floor is permanently gritty where it drops off when it dries  >:(  Its driving me mad  ph34r  double short back and sides might be on the cards on the south coast too  ;) :005:

Dont even mention the sand - Alfie seems to bring half the beach home with him and promptly deposits it IN my bed  :lol:
Caroline and Alfie

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2006, 10:47:21 PM »
That's a good point, Hamish and Indie are rarely on leads, and pretty much never walked on roads, so basically hurl themselves through bushes and into streams when we go out.

Same here - Daisy and Dill dont consider it a proper walk unless they have been swimming and gathered have a ton of crap in their fur - my kitchen floor is permanently gritty where it drops off when it dries  >:(  Its driving me mad  ph34r  double short back and sides might be on the cards on the south coast too  ;) :005:

Dont even mention the sand - Alfie seems to bring half the beach home with him and promptly deposits it IN my bed  :lol:

Me and OH wre having a cuddle in bed the other night, and I moved the pillow. Under it was a half chewed rawhide and a big twig. Nuff said. :005:

Offline Cathy

• Site Member
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2006, 10:47:50 PM »
I am so pleased you posted this Emma.

I have sent the two years of Jazzs life trying to get her a 'proper' looking coat, but it has meant leaving alot of hair to grow down.

I am really struggling to keep her matt free, as she also hates the grooming tools !! I am thinking about taking her short again. Its a shame as she looks so pretty, i am worried about her losing her look.

Will read with interest.
CATHY

'A dog may be the only opportunity a human has to choose a relative.' -- Mordecai Siegal

Offline Cathy

• Site Member
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2006, 10:49:01 PM »

Me and OH wre having a cuddle in bed the other night, and I moved the pillow. Under it was a half chewed rawhide and a big twig. Nuff said. :005:

Don't hijack the thread with your bedroom antics !!!  :005: :005:
CATHY

'A dog may be the only opportunity a human has to choose a relative.' -- Mordecai Siegal

Offline tjsheps

• Site Member
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2006, 11:04:28 PM »
Charlie loathes being groomed and loves dirty water, to have him clipped is much less stressful for him.  We have some tummy and leg feathers left on and the ears blended in with scissors.  He looks quite smart, but then i would say that about my baby wouldn't I  !!!

Tracey, Blue and Charlie

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2006, 11:06:46 PM »

Antics?! We have three kids, when do we have the time :lol: ;)

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2006, 11:13:12 PM »
Moog was clipped right back except for a tiny bit of feathering and although she looked funny at first, I could tell by her demeanour hat she felt lots better.  She sheds less and takes very little grooming - when I bath her I let her dry on her own in this weather apart from her ears.  Merv is clipped but has much more feathering but I'm seriously considering clipping it right back, esp in the hot weather.  I had Moog hand stipped for the first 12months but its a lot of work for a pet so I totally know where you're coming from.  I was in massive turmoil until I took the plunge and dont regret it.  Dont forget - it grows back!! ;)

Thanks, I feel more cofident about it all after reading that :D

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2006, 11:14:17 PM »
I finally gave in and had Alfie clipped a few weeks back and although it was a bit of a shock at first, Im already thinking next time he goes in I shall ask for it to go a bit shorter.

Id always had him hand stripped which was fine for our lifestyle then, city living with nice manicured parks to walk in. Moving to the country where hes out all day getting covered in cow and sheep poo, getting tangled in the hedgrows and picking up the pines in the forests clipping was the only way to go as he hates being groomed with a vengence.

Cheers Caroline, I'd love to see pics of Alfie and his new hair ;)   

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2006, 11:20:32 PM »
I am so pleased you posted this Emma.

I have sent the two years of Jazzs life trying to get her a 'proper' looking coat, but it has meant leaving alot of hair to grow down.

I am really struggling to keep her matt free, as she also hates the grooming tools !! I am thinking about taking her short again. Its a shame as she looks so pretty, i am worried about her losing her look.

Will read with interest.

Cathy, I know what you mean, I have beend handstripping Indie myself for 3 years and it does pain me to destroy all that hard work, but I think its in her best interests, she really does hate hate the detangling combe with a passion >:D

I don't think they lose their look though, like Michele said as long as the groomer is sympathetic it can look lovely and is much easier to manage therefore kinder to them, spesh if they don't like being groomed ;)

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2006, 11:21:48 PM »

Antics?! We have three kids, when do we have the time :lol: ;)

Shonie, you make time for bedroom antics :005: ;)

I once found a snail under my bed :huh:  Well a snails shell, dread to think where the rest of it went :o

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
  • Look mum - no legs :)
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2006, 11:32:22 PM »
I finally gave in and had Alfie clipped a few weeks back and although it was a bit of a shock at first, Im already thinking next time he goes in I shall ask for it to go a bit shorter.

Id always had him hand stripped which was fine for our lifestyle then, city living with nice manicured parks to walk in. Moving to the country where hes out all day getting covered in cow and sheep poo, getting tangled in the hedgrows and picking up the pines in the forests clipping was the only way to go as he hates being groomed with a vengence.

Cheers Caroline, I'd love to see pics of Alfie and his new hair ;)   

Id love to post some - but they are on my phone and come out so tiny its impossible to see and now four weeks later hes looking back to normal again - time to ring up for an appointment me thinks :)

Go for it Emma, there are worse crimes against a dog then gettting a dodgy haircut :) A good groomer will know how to do a cocker cut and you will both be so much happier.And remember it only takes a couple of weeks to grow back if you really hate it, Indie wont even notice :)
Caroline and Alfie

Penel

« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2006, 01:28:07 PM »
Although I am a pro-handstripper - last weekend Tilly was sooo hot, I caved and got the clippers out.... she is nearly 8yrs old - hates being groomed, she too runs when I say "brush brush" so I think I shall be keeping her pretty much like this from now on... her brother is clipped off very seriously - he has barely any feathering left - I don't think I can go that far I do like them to look like cockers rather than seals  :005:
Here's Tilly with her new haircut !  it probably doesn't look that short to some of you but I took an inch off the ears, and loads off the rest of her !

I could have made another Tilly with the resulting hair !

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2006, 02:35:11 PM »
She looks great Penel :luv:  Thanks for posting the piccies :D

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2006, 03:26:33 PM »
She looks great. Hamish needs done again, he's about twice the size of Tilly's after shot! :005: