Author Topic: Question for people who fully clip  (Read 5760 times)

Offline sarahp

• Site Member
Re: Question for people who fully clip
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2006, 07:39:52 PM »
I was going to ask to see a pic of Tilly once I knew what you'd done - just to make sure you hadnt gone too mad you understand  ;) ph34r :005:

Actually I'm really surprised she looks very good (sorry thats not an inference on your grooming skills  ph34r but clippering in general  :shades: ) and I think Daise may well be doing a 'Tilly' before much longer - she too is very hot and the crud she is picking up in her fur is scary
Sarah & The Roan Rangers - Daisy Dog & Dill Boy

The average dog has one request to all humankind. Love me

Offline sarahp

• Site Member
« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2006, 07:42:16 PM »

Just noticed all the teeth marks in the comb handle  :lol: :lol: :lol:  all my brush handles look like that too   :005: :005: :005:
Sarah & The Roan Rangers - Daisy Dog & Dill Boy

The average dog has one request to all humankind. Love me

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2006, 07:43:31 PM »

Just noticed all the teeth marks in the comb handle  :lol: :lol: :lol:  all my brush handles look like that too   :005: :005: :005:

Mine three :005: :005:

Penel

« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2006, 11:23:38 PM »
I've had those tools for 9 years though  ;) and several puppies - how long have you had yours  :lol: ;) :lol:
I think the trick with clippering is not to do it too short, and to blend with thinning scissors the feathery bits with the shorter bits.... takes quite a bit of practice though !

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2006, 11:24:54 PM »
Billy is clipped very very short for summer ph34r. He has just been to the groomers today.  He still has feathering though too so he still looks like a cocker ;). I love the cockers who fave the beautiful non clipped coat but if you don't show then IMO  it's pointless hard work. The first time I went for the plunge and had Billy clipped it was sssoooo much easier, his paws are dried in minutes

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2006, 11:29:01 PM »
Billy looks great Jan :luv: :luv:

His coat is so shiny :D  I can't wait now for Indies season to finish to get her clipped, i'm sure it will make things soo much easier and I won't dread it everytime she decides she wants to paddle :005: 

I'm glad I posted about this, you guys have been really helpful, cheers me deers :D

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2006, 11:44:32 PM »
Billy looks great Jan :luv: :luv:
His coat is so shiny :D 

Thanks  ;)

I know it's not everyones cup of tea but it makes my life so so much easier. I can take him on walks let him get muddy and then come home and chuck him in the shower and in no time at all he is nice and dry.

I do love cockers with big full coats but it's just too time consuming for me especially as Billy absolutely hates being brushed.

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2006, 11:50:34 PM »
Penel, you didn't use th clipper on her long bits then, and just blenmded it in? Any tips for a novice?
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Offline waisis

• Site Member
  • Mr. Big Paws
« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2006, 02:02:10 AM »
She looks very lovely!  :luv: :luv:
Bailey and Mom

Penel

« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2006, 10:50:34 AM »
Penel, you didn't use th clipper on her long bits then, and just blenmded it in? Any tips for a novice?

Hmm I dunno really its kind of just evolved over the years :lol: erm I spose you just lift the clippers away from the body as you get to the feathery bits.... Then I cut the feathery bits with straight scissors so that they are shorter - with the front legs you lift them up towards you so they are horizontal.... then you can cut a horizontal straight line - obviously the hair being shorter towards the paws, and getting longer towards the armpit - this length should be the same length as the tummy feathering - when the leg is lifted up horizontal that's quite easy to judge... with her ears I just combed the hair then gatherered all the ear feathering into a tight bunch then hacked away about an inch with thinning scissors so the line wasn't toooo blunt.  that way you get it all the same length-ish but it doesn't look freshly cut.... I also cut some layers at the front edge of the ear so she doesn't look like she's got a bob  :lol:  does that help ?!  :005:

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2006, 07:27:09 PM »
Just a quick question, Indie has a full tail like Tilly Penel, do you just keep the feathering short to match the rest of her?

Penel

« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2006, 09:39:03 PM »
I do trim the tail feathering yes - I twist the end up and cut it blunt across, and then I taper the rest of it - same as you would do with a setter's tail... will try and take a pic tomorrow !

Offline Luvly

• Site Member
« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2006, 11:41:13 PM »
c
Nikkoletta + Wunderschöne Welpen Lindos demais

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2006, 12:06:44 AM »
Thanks Penel and Nic :D

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2006, 08:14:07 AM »

Hmm I dunno really its kind of just evolved over the years :lol: erm I spose you just lift the clippers away from the body as you get to the feathery bits.... Then I cut the feathery bits with straight scissors so that they are shorter - with the front legs you lift them up towards you so they are horizontal.... then you can cut a horizontal straight line - obviously the hair being shorter towards the paws, and getting longer towards the armpit - this length should be the same length as the tummy feathering - when the leg is lifted up horizontal that's quite easy to judge... with her ears I just combed the hair then gatherered all the ear feathering into a tight bunch then hacked away about an inch with thinning scissors so the line wasn't toooo blunt.  that way you get it all the same length-ish but it doesn't look freshly cut.... I also cut some layers at the front edge of the ear so she doesn't look like she's got a bob  :lol:  does that help ?!  :005:

Yes, it does - the only clipping I have ever done is a number 4 all over fror OH - there clippers are much more efficint and easier to use, Im finding it harder to use them - you can clip too much if not careful, whereas my cheapi ones you had to do the same bit three times so had a chance to correct it. Hamish looked like he had had a chunk taken out of his leg after my first attempt(he hadn't, just a lot of hair)!

thankyou ;)
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)