Author Topic: grooming heads  (Read 10405 times)

Offline Shirley

• Site Member
grooming heads
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2003, 03:43:09 PM »
Got the thinning scissors and coat king out yesterday  :o and decided to tackle Morgan's head first, as the legs seem like a mammoth task at the moment.  He didn't like me using the coatking on his head - can't really blame him, don't think I'd be too keen myself - so I went for it with the thinning scissors.

The long hair is very light and the new growth underneath is very dark.  My problems is his head now looks quite patchy - not baldy patchy, but some parts light and some dark.  With a roan, I think it would be easier to get it even because of the variation in colours, but Mrogan looks quite funny now  :-[ .  Should I take a little more off to get it looking even, or should I leave it to grow before trying again?

Good tip for the armpits, Jane.  Morgan has never had any matts anywhere, other than a couple under his front legs, which he did not enjoy having removed  :o so I think we'll get rid of it tonight  ;D .                    
Shirley, Morgan and Cooper
Morgan's Page                                  Videos of my boys

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
grooming heads
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2003, 04:34:23 PM »
..I'm hoping to get to the Birmingham Show.

Might see you there then Anita :) I'm hoping to go too although we aren't showing.                    
Jane

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
grooming heads
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2003, 08:22:56 PM »
P.s He said to tell you he forgives you for mistaking him for William.  William belongs to Viv. ;D

Sorry Shirley (and Morgan).....I think that's 3 times now I've called him "William". Must admit I get all the names of the dogs in the local park muddled up too. Well they do say that it's the memory that's the first thing to go.....forget who said it though! ;D.....I promise, it'll never happen again, Sharon . ;) ;D

Jimmy used to constantly get compared to an Afghan when he was Morgan's age.....hardly ever happens now though. It would be nice to see an upated photo of Morgan.....I think the last one was the one in the ditch. ;D Although great seeing all the photos....it's especially interesting to see ones of your own dog's colour.                    

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
grooming heads
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2003, 08:25:55 PM »
And with Mary's help that's the first time I've managed to successfully do a quote ! :) (Or was it Michele ? ;D)                    

Offline Shirley

• Site Member
grooming heads
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2003, 09:58:22 AM »
Hi Colin

With that memory you must be one of the Over 30 Brigade  ;D.  Only joking, I know lots of people who are over 30 and can still find their way home from the bingo hall on their own :o.  I'd better stop now before I get kicked out of here :D.

Unfortunately I have no scanner or digital camera at home   :( but will borrow the one from work next week and try to get some pics in the photo section.  Can't do it this week 'cos schools are on HOLIDAY!  Yippee! ;D

Have you done anything about Jimmy's hairdo yet, or are you gonna let him keep it?  Have to say, I'm beginning to wish I'd left Morgan's as it was.  Maybe with a little more work we'll get rid of the patchiness  :)                    
Shirley, Morgan and Cooper
Morgan's Page                                  Videos of my boys

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
grooming heads
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2003, 10:35:55 AM »
Well, Shirley, thank heavens for the bingobus......it's a positive godsend for us absent minded wrinklies ! ;D

Jimmy's mop is staying for the time being........am getting a bit fed up with people asking if I put highlights in his hair though. :o When the time comes I will get a groomer to strip it I think.......I want someone else to blame if it goes horribly wrong. ;D

Who is the easiest to control .....Morgan or your class ?  ;D                    

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
grooming heads
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2003, 08:44:34 PM »
Tonight I stripped the hair on Daisy's head using a rubber glove  - suggested by Michele, Jane, Dessie and Pam - as I'd not been really satisfied with the finish I was achieving with stripping with my bare fingers >:(

It works a treat - I'm gobsmacked at the amount which came out - which previously wasnt budging an inch :o It's such a great tip, I thought was worth mentioning again ;D                    

Offline Michele

• Site Member
grooming heads
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2003, 10:59:43 PM »
See, we're not just pretty faces :D

Glad you are pleased with the result ;D                    

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
grooming heads
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2003, 11:10:07 PM »
Tonight I stripped the hair on Daisy's head using a rubber glove  -
It works a treat - I'm gobsmacked at the amount which came out - which previously wasnt budging an inch :o It's such a great tip, I thought was worth mentioning again ;D

woo hoo - way to Mike - so do we get a piccy of the new beautified Daisy? ;D                    
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
grooming heads
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2003, 01:17:59 PM »
She's not ready yet - still got a ways to go on her head (it's so curly!). But i'm getting there, which is the important thing - and enjoying every minute of it  ;D                    

Offline Dessie

• Site Member
  • Marvin, Oliver & Douglas
    • Derrindee Spaniels
grooming heads
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2003, 09:39:24 AM »
And you tought I was mad telling you to use a rubber glove :D :D :D

Looking forward to seeing a picture of her when she is finished Mike.                    
Dessie, Douglas, Marvin & Oliver (ESS)(The Guernsey Crew) :D :D

Derrindee Spaniels
Guernsey, Channel Islands

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
grooming heads
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2003, 09:54:03 AM »
And you tought I was mad telling you to use a rubber glove

:-[ sorry Dessie  ;D                    

Offline cbabe

• Site Member
    • home of the Fernlow band of cockers!!!
grooming heads
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2003, 01:04:01 PM »
Coat kings and thinners are available from www.diamondedgeltd.com - they are reasonably priced too!

Can anyone forward me this coverted documend on hand stripping - i am having problems with the head area. Thank gog my cocker is stupid and so tolerant - she falls asleep on the table!                    
Clare
Fern (HRH) and Willow (lolo)
Bryony, Gypsi, Thorn and Rocky

Sorry if my Post offends you, my cocker spaniel has learnt to type and i can not be held responsible for her attitude problem!

Offline Michele

• Site Member
grooming heads
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2003, 04:57:42 PM »
Coat kings and thinners are available from www.diamondedgeltd.com - they are reasonably priced too!

Can anyone forward me this coverted documend on hand stripping - i am having problems with the head area. Thank gog my cocker is stupid and so tolerant - she falls asleep on the table!

You may find some useful information on this thread
http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/forum/viewtopic . php?t=71

there is another one on here that has some photo's included but I'm still looking for it at the moment ;D

Update I thought it would be quicker if I posted them again, the head one is using the scissors as an alternative to hand stripping ;D                    

Offline Michele

• Site Member
grooming heads
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2003, 05:03:05 PM »
and also the one for thinning the ears