Author Topic: what to do with hairy feet?  (Read 809 times)

Offline kb

• Site Member
what to do with hairy feet?
« on: July 16, 2006, 12:21:35 PM »
I do not know what to do with Honey's feet. She has never been trimmed by a groomer, but I have tried to trim them before, but not very successfully  - she gets hot spots between her toes. She is very hard to groom and would not tolerate a groomer. Do you cut the hair short on their feet?Can someone help?

Do you trim wet or dry?

Penel

Re: what to do with hairy feet?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2006, 12:38:41 PM »
How do you know she wouldn't tolerate a groomer ?  I groom a few friend's dogs - and they are much better behaved for me than they are for their owners !!! :005:
She is so beautiful please don't do it yourself and ruin her  ;) get a good groomer to do it for you....

Offline Rhona W

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2006, 12:41:59 PM »
I agree with Penel. Lots of people on here comment on how much better behaved their dog is for the groomer than for them. It might be worth a try.  :blink:

Offline kb

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2006, 12:45:42 PM »
Okay here are said feet.

Honey thinks it might be better to wear some socks :005:

I have seen a few cockers groomed locally and they have been a real mess - it really is only her feet as she is very smooth all over. I have already made a bit ofa mess of her back legs - can it be fixed?

Anybody from Northern Irekand recommend a groomer?

Offline happydog

• Site Member
  • Run free, my Beautiful Bella 2005-2017
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2006, 01:00:33 PM »
Fern's a working cocker and I have never liked to trim her but she did have foot problems when she was younger. When Fern was at her 'wooly(and wriggly) stage' she had terrible matts between her toes and had very ticklish feet too. It was exacerbated by the fine clay we have round here which dried like, well, really hard lumps of clay  :005: and she actually began to limp a bit. I started by waiting until she was tired and relaxed and on her back just chillin' out, (as only a cocker can do). I  got her used to me holding her paws/touching her pads without actually doing anything to them. Gradually, over a period of days I began to put my fingers between them, then, teasing teeny little bits of fur apart, nothing too drastic. When she started to protest I left it alone until the next day. I then got her used to me dipping her feet, one at a time in to tepid water, and holding her pads under the water for a while, in order to soften the clay and matts. Now I just dip her feet in a pudding basin of tepid water and she lets me massage the clay out from between her pads. When they dry off I then comb them through. I did have to cut a few of the very bad matts out to begin with, but it was easier after they had been soaked and the clay removed.
happydog

Whatever today brings, ensure that you make some good memories