Author Topic: How much hair!!!  (Read 4781 times)

Offline ***Sarah***

• Site Member
How much hair!!!
« on: August 01, 2006, 04:08:55 PM »
We have been looking at getting a cocker spaniel for some time and have read up about them, spoke to cocker spaniel owners etc, as a child we had labs in the family and noticed that they shed ALOT of fur. I am looking after my parents lab as we speak and i think my dark red rug is looking rather dark red and alot of white ( i think i could make a small puppy out of the amount of hair!) I'm wanting to know is this the same for cocker spaniels are they as bad as labs with the fur. The fur isn't a problem but i think i would have to change the rug!!!  ;)

Offline silkstocking

• Site Member
Re: How much hair!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2006, 04:12:38 PM »
Have never had a Lab so don't know how much fur there is from one!!!!!!!

IMO a well groomed cocker doesnt drop that much! But you have to keep ontop of the grooming.

My friend has 10 cockers and okay so she hoovers every day, but I swear I have never gone into her house and thought OH MY GOD......... HAIR! Infact I wonder how in gods name with that many long coated dogs their isnt hair everywhere!

My two cockers are groomed daily and they don't shed much hair TBH!

I do think the secret is keeping on top of the grooming, if you remove the dead hair then it wont drop!  ;)

Offline ***Sarah***

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2006, 04:28:01 PM »
So as long as i groom him or her every day it shouldn't be too bad  ;) Ok and how often do you recommend pro grooming?  :D

Offline silkstocking

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2006, 04:29:47 PM »
So as long as i groom him or her every day it shouldn't be too bad  ;) Ok and how often do you recommend pro grooming?  :D

Depends on the coat they dog has................as a rule about every 8/10 weeks I guess for professional grooming.

Offline ***Sarah***

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2006, 04:32:18 PM »
Thank you :D

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2006, 04:44:51 PM »
Alfie sheds quite a lot, especially considering he's a working cocker and isn't all that hairy, he hasn't got much feathering and no "skirt" at all... I've kind of got used to everything having a layer of white hairs on it (it's always the white ones!  :huh: ) and frankly, food npw tastes bland without a cocker hair garnish  ph34r  :005:

Actually most of it's probably because I'm a lazy mare and I don't groom him properly every day, I just comb his ears to get rid of the thousands of burrs in them  ::)
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2006, 05:07:13 PM »
Depends on the cocker too - some shed much more than others. Buddy sheds loads ::)
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2006, 05:09:52 PM »
Indie sheds lots, it can be a pain ::)

Offline Tracy S

• Site Member
  • louie-blue shoes
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2006, 05:15:10 PM »
Hi Sarah. We are waiting for our Cocker puppy but know what you mean about a lab! My sister has a black one and boy do we know when she's visited :005: we are finding hairs days later as they seem to travel for miles!

Offline ***Sarah***

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2006, 05:21:15 PM »
You just have to stroke the lab(Norris, named by guide dogs!  :005:) and the hair just falls everywhere. I really dont mind its not that much of a problem but i just want to know if cockers are the same  ;)

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2006, 05:46:00 PM »
You just have to stroke the lab(Norris, named by guide dogs!  :005:) and the hair just falls everywhere. I really dont mind its not that much of a problem but i just want to know if cockers are the same  ;)

My Buddy is. But you could always get a rug that matched the dog ;) :005: :005:
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline MollieMoo

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2006, 07:34:54 PM »
I used to have a black lab and now have a cocker and I reckon the lab moulted a lot more than the cocker. 
Kate, Fudge (Orange Roan 11 years)

Mollie (RIP 19/11/20 aged 15 1/2 years old)
Daisy (RIP 14/02/19)

Offline Tracy S

• Site Member
  • louie-blue shoes
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2006, 08:54:23 PM »
I used to have a black lab and now have a cocker and I reckon the lab moulted a lot more than the cocker. 
Pleased to hear that :005: ;)

Offline CraftySam

• Site Member
  • Max, Morgan, Sapphi
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2006, 12:02:40 AM »
I have a black lab, a golden retriever and a cocker.  Imagine the hair on my floors!!!!  :o  :o

I know Barney is only just over 4 months old but he is losing his puppy fluff and it tends to come out with brushing rather than moulting.  My lab moults loads and my golden retriever moults mega, mega, mega loads.  :o

Out of all of the my cocker moults the least, but I suppose it could change, though I think I can quite confidently say he'll never moult as much as my golden retriever.  :005:
Sam is mum to - Sapphi (working black Lab 5 1/2 yrs), Max (Golden Retriever 4 yrs) Morgan (American Cocker 2 1/2yrs) and mum in spirit to Barney (English Cocker 3 1/2 yrs now living in Scotland)

Offline Harriet

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2006, 06:15:08 PM »
That's handy to know :lol: My friend has a lab he moults quite a bit, glad the Cocker Spaniel dosen't moult as much  ;)