Author Topic: Bought some clippers!  (Read 1466 times)

Offline clairep4

• Site Member
  • The Two Muppeteers!
    • Chow Bella Pet Bowls
Bought some clippers!
« on: July 31, 2006, 02:25:53 PM »
After several bad experiences at professional groomers I've been doing Bella myself for the last 6 months. First of all I was just doing the coat king route (she's spayed) but her fur at the back end has gone really curly since she was spayed and it's really thick on her legs as well. I do prefer the shaggy look really but she's been so hot in the heatwave that I bought some not very good clippers from Ebay and just clipped her a little bit - not really, really short but enough to cool her down a bit. Anyway those clippers were a bit rubbish so I've invested in some Moser Max 45s which are coming this week - I'll post pics when I've had a go at her, wish me luck!  :lol:
Claire, Bella & Zorro - the two muppeteers!
Tellington TTouch Practitioner P1
www.tellingtontouch.org.uk

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
Re: Bought some clippers!
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2006, 02:28:57 PM »
Good luck!!

Where did you get your Moser's from and if you don't mind - how much?

I finally gave in to Jasper's increasingly woolly mammoth look last week and gave his back a light trim with some Osters. I was almost blubbing as I did it - I was always determined I would never clip him - but his coat has just changed so much over the past 2 years even though he hasn;t been neutered. I think it's in poart down to his constant anxieties etc. Anyway - not a bad finish - he still looks very very cockery - didn't touch his feathering etc. But he does look a lot better for it.
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline clairep4

• Site Member
  • The Two Muppeteers!
    • Chow Bella Pet Bowls
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2006, 02:36:48 PM »
I got them from http://www.surreypetsupplies.co.uk , £93 including P&P, that was the best price I could find. I figure I was paying £30 a shot for not very good groomers so I may as well do her myself and hopefully over time will learn how to do a good job.

I'm leaving her feathering (just thinning it when it needs it) so it'll be her back, head, tops of the ears and her throat. I keep looking at pictures to try and work it out. I've never been able to find a groomer who wouldn't either leave her body completely alone or clip it really, really short, so it's nice being able to do it myself (in theory) and get it to a tidy but still cockery looking length, if that makes sense!

I do think her being spayed has made her coat thicker, it's still nice and silky but doesn't lie flat, around her collar it all sticks up all over the place like a little ruff and then the back end is curls a-go-go... It's a shame though as I never wanted to clip her really but I prefer the fact that she does at least look tidy that way...

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2006, 02:46:35 PM »
Thanks Claire - that's a good price  ;)
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Penel

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2006, 05:02:26 PM »
Just about to buy some clippers too - the ones I had are crap as well, and Tilly - well, I just can't keep up with her knots nowadays - she is 8 at the weekend, and I've finally given in to the horrid thought of clippering her - although I will do it like Claire says - just bits of her, and leave some feathering - although even that I am going to scissor fairly short.  I have to face the fact that Tilly hates being groomed, and I really don't like grooming her very much... so the shorter the better really. ;)

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2006, 05:07:40 PM »
I bougght some Moser Max ones, and two blades, and Ham hates being clipperd. I'm sort of wishing I hadn't as I hate doing him too, so any tips? Maybe I ned a grooming table next :005:
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Penel

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2006, 05:18:39 PM »
I can't find the ones you bought from Surrey Pet Supplies Claire - the only ones I can find on there are much more expensive
http://www.surreypetsupplies.co.uk/acatalog/Clippers_and_Blades.html
which blades did you get too ?

Offline clairep4

• Site Member
  • The Two Muppeteers!
    • Chow Bella Pet Bowls
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2006, 05:20:57 PM »
Strange... try here http://www.surreypetsupplies.co.uk/acatalog/Dog_Clippers.html.

Anyone who does already clip their dogs, how do you get a nice straight line where their skirt starts???

Offline mmathison

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2006, 05:54:45 PM »
can anyone recommend any good videos or books on clipping
mainly for short coat with some feathering on legs and belly.

I have had my two clipped on two occasions and looks wonderful
as mine if left would look like woolly sheep and totally out of control
tempted to try myself with the right equipment,although im not sure
how i would cope with Ruben my youngest as he is such a wriggler
would probably need a table with the harness restraints.

Any help or suggestions.

Offline Laura

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2006, 06:02:27 PM »
I bought a pair of the Moser Max 45 last night from Pet Supermarket.  Can't wait for them to come. 

I have always coatkinged, scissored and stripped but, I am returning to study in a couple of weeks and will definately be short of time.  With the heat recently as well - I decided to take the plunge and to clip my boys  :o  never thought I would do it.  I clipped them with an old pair of blokes clippers and no guard  ph34r  the end result wasn't bad - although i did scare myself at the time  :lol: 

I am looking forward to getting the proper equipment.
Laura x

Run free together boys. Missing you both xx
Bailey  29/04/04 - 16/03/11
Brogan 29/07/03 - 22/10/09

Offline happydog

• Site Member
  • Run free, my Beautiful Bella 2005-2017
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2006, 08:32:22 PM »
Woohoo! Smart cocker!  :blink:
happydog

Whatever today brings, ensure that you make some good memories

Offline clairep4

• Site Member
  • The Two Muppeteers!
    • Chow Bella Pet Bowls
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2006, 09:19:38 AM »
I bought a pair of the Moser Max 45 last night from Pet Supermarket.  Can't wait for them to come. 

I have always coatkinged, scissored and stripped but, I am returning to study in a couple of weeks and will definately be short of time.  With the heat recently as well - I decided to take the plunge and to clip my boys  :o  never thought I would do it.  I clipped them with an old pair of blokes clippers and no guard  ph34r  the end result wasn't bad - although i did scare myself at the time  :lol: 

I am looking forward to getting the proper equipment.

Laura he looks fab! How did you get the nice line along his skirt, was it hard?

Offline Laura

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2006, 01:32:11 PM »
Don't know if I did it right or not - I just ran the clippers in the direction of the coat down the sides.  Where the sides starts to round under I just moved the clippers out the coat - avoiding the long feathering.  I then blended slightly with the thinning scissors.  The line just seemed to happen by following the natural shape of the dog - I might just have been lucky though  :005:

Here is a picture of Brogan's clipped coat - clearer to see.   The orange roan coat highlights the mistakes more as well  :005:

I don't like Brogan's coat this short though - but am sure I will get used to it.  Certainly easier to groom!  Next time I clip I might be brave enough to lose some more of Brogan's feathering as well - I chopped 4 inches off this time - couldn't face taking any more off than that.

Good Luck with it Claire - you'll make a great job of it I am sure - 100% confidence in you!!  :D
Laura x

Penel

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2006, 02:54:55 PM »
I wouldn't want Tilly's that short either - she has fairly flat hair on her back....
I can well imagine its easy to groom though  :lol: some days I am honestly tempted to just shave the whole lot off feathers n all  ph34r

Offline Laura

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2006, 03:04:48 PM »
I wouldn't want Tilly's that short either - she has fairly flat hair on her back....

I tried to coatking Brogan this time but it hurt him too much - I had left it too long since his last coatking session - hence the short cut now.  With no proper clippers it was that length or nothing.  Being impatient I went short.  I will be able to go back to the coatking with Brogan - if I time it right.  But do I want to after the ease of this?  ph34r  :005:

Penel can you please let me know what size of blade you decide to use on Tilly and how it turns out  - seems we are after the same thing with a similar coat to deal with.

sorry to jump on your thread Claire  ph34r
Laura x