Author Topic: funny coloured fur  (Read 1960 times)

Offline janey

• Site Member
  • it wasn't me,honest
funny coloured fur
« on: August 03, 2006, 05:01:11 PM »
hia

as molly is all black,i have noticed her fur in parts is going 'fluffy' and a reddish brown in colour.

is this normal,she is now 6 months old and has always had a beautiful coat,but now she looks like she has been in the sun too long ;)

thanks
love Janey and Molly xxx

Offline Rhona W

• Site Member
Re: funny coloured fur
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2006, 07:31:25 PM »
Casper was like this too. They are only a day difference in age, aren't they? He has quite a thick coat and it went very wooly and brown. We bought a coat king and he is now back to his lovely, glossy black self.  :D

Offline TOPAZ BILLY

• Site Member
  • De Girls!
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2006, 07:33:22 PM »
Sounds like the coat is ready to start stripping :D Time for the rubber gloves!

Michelle

Offline janey

• Site Member
  • it wasn't me,honest
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2006, 07:48:29 PM »

rhona yes molly is just a day older than casper and reuben,think i will have to get a coat king.does it come with instructions on how to use it,and is diamond edge the best place to get it from  ;)

michelle,don't think molly would sit still long enough to hand strip,although would like to try,as it does look nice when done that way  ;)

oooh i'm scared  :005:
love Janey and Molly xxx

Offline Rhona W

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2006, 07:56:22 PM »
Forgot to say that Casper is a working cocker. Is Molly a show? I don't know if that will make a difference to whether you want to hand strip or coat king.  :-\
Diamond Edge is the best place to buy one. It wouldn't accept our payment on-line, but then they contacted us by e-mail to arrange payment.
It didn't come with instructions, but it is so simple to use. Just like using a comb!  :D But be warned - it can become addictive!  :005: My OH developed an obsession. Boys and their toys!  ::)

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2006, 08:06:29 PM »
Casper was like this too. They are only a day difference in age, aren't they? He has quite a thick coat and it went very wooly and brown. We bought a coat king and he is now back to his lovely, glossy black self.  :D

Yep, Coco was the same. She is a choccie but her fur went a bit ginger and all dull and fluffy in the sun. the Coat King did the trick - has taken out all the fluff and revealed lovely shiny choccy fur underneath!  ;)
Julie and Watson

Offline janey

• Site Member
  • it wasn't me,honest
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2006, 08:12:34 PM »
yes rhona,molly is show ( a show off more like ) :005:

will be careful with said coat king then

have used diamond edge before for hairdressing scissors, usually send a cheque,have never tried online
love Janey and Molly xxx

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2006, 04:21:01 PM »
I've just ordered a coat king as well, Alfie has lovely silky fur on his head, back and sides but his legs are a mass of black fluff. It only seems to be the black bits which have gone like that, the white is still nice and shiny  :huh:
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline MollieMoo

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2006, 06:47:01 PM »
hia

as molly is all black,i have noticed her fur in parts is going 'fluffy' and a reddish brown in colour.

is this normal,she is now 6 months old and has always had a beautiful coat,but now she looks like she has been in the sun too long ;)

thanks

Sorry Janey - think I have started another thread that is exactly the same as yours!  My Mollie is 15 months old and her 'fluffy' parts only really developed since around May this year, so I think it may be due to the sun.  Although I have tried to 'coat king' those fluffy areas and the hair isn't ready to come out.

I bought my coat king from Diamond Edge, I rang them and ordered it over the 'phone.
Kate, Fudge (Orange Roan 11 years)

Mollie (RIP 19/11/20 aged 15 1/2 years old)
Daisy (RIP 14/02/19)

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2006, 06:58:13 PM »
I think it is due to the sun. It has also happened to my black cat!  ;)
Julie and Watson

Offline ruby

• Site Member
  • ruby
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2006, 08:15:54 PM »
my 16 week black cocker has this problem on her legs the top and sides are glossy though

Offline DennyK

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2006, 03:57:31 PM »
I put this on the other thread on the same topic - on the Cocker Club website, it says that the "rust" tone to solid blacks is because they have a gold/red recessive gene.  It's only black dogs which have recessive genes which are black which end up completely "raven black" - I'd previously assumed that it was the sun too, as grooming does seem to make it better, but turns out it's genetics, although I think the sun will exacerbate it.

Denise

Offline janey

• Site Member
  • it wasn't me,honest
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2006, 07:25:17 PM »
thanks denise,that makes sense,as the glossy fur on her back also shows up a deep red tinge in the sun.
must have recessive red genes myself,as my hairs the same :005:
love Janey and Molly xxx

Offline Annette

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2006, 08:51:34 PM »
I put this on the other thread on the same topic - on the Cocker Club website, it says that the "rust" tone to solid blacks is because they have a gold/red recessive gene.  It's only black dogs which have recessive genes which are black which end up completely "raven black" - I'd previously assumed that it was the sun too, as grooming does seem to make it better, but turns out it's genetics, although I think the sun will exacerbate it.

Denise

But this doesn't explain why the black hair on our blue roans goes brownish in the sun does it? Buddy's back is fine, but where I haven't managed to get his feathers under control he has a definite browny tinge there.

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2006, 07:20:00 AM »
But this doesn't explain why the black hair on our blue roans goes brownish in the sun does it? Buddy's back is fine, but where I haven't managed to get his feathers under control he has a definite browny tinge there.

Mud???  :005: :005:
Julie and Watson