Author Topic: Can Anyone Recommend a Good Grooming Book  (Read 1390 times)

Offline AnnieM

• Site Member
  • Jazmin
Can Anyone Recommend a Good Grooming Book
« on: August 05, 2006, 03:18:25 PM »
Hi all, my babies are only 14 weeks so I have plenty of time (hopefully) to read up on how to groom them properly (possibly for showing, if they are good enough).  Could anyone recommend a good book to teach me how to do this correctly.  I have seen one called DOGS AND HOW TO GROOM THEM by HILARY HARMAR, although this one is not breed specific, anyone know if this is any good and also possibly a book about showing as I have never done it before and although I don't even know if they are any good standard wise, am still going to take them to ringcraft classes for fun and then we will see.

**DALEMSTAR COCKERS**

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Re: Can Anyone Recommend a Good Grooming Book
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2006, 10:22:42 PM »
There really aren't any good books that go into any great detail on handstripping a Cocker for the show ring. The Hilary Harmer book won't help much as it's American and really only covers clipping Cockers (if it's the same one I've got with a blue cover?). The Cocker Club do a little booklet on trimming which you can order online HERE which you might find useful. I think the Frank Kane book (Pet Owners Guide to Cocker Spaniels) also covers grooming & trimming quite well. If you want to show your girls, you really need someone to guide and teach you as grooming is one of those skills which can't really be picked up from books. Perhaps you could ask your breeder (if she lives locally) or when you start ringcraft, you might bump into a Cocker breeder who could give you some practical tuition.

There are quite a few books which offer an introduction to showing but some are American so make sure you get a British one such as "Good Showing" by Peggy Grayson or "Dog Showing, From Beginners To Winners" by Robert Killick.
Jane

Offline sarah25

• Site Member
  • Charbonnel Love'N'It At Oramiss
    • Oramiss Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2006, 10:32:15 PM »
We have got the book Pet owners guide to the cocker spaniel and the Booklet and the "Good Showing" book  there all very good.
You can get the Pet Owners Guide to Cocker Spaniels book from Pets At Home  :blink:

Offline AnnieM

• Site Member
  • Jazmin
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2006, 11:19:42 PM »
Thanks for that, yes it is the blue book, maybe I won't bother with that.  The ringcraft classes I am starting on Tuesday are run by a guy who used to show American cockers, I would assume that the basic grooming needs are much the same??  Unfortunately my breeders were pretty much scalped so I don't think that she would be much help with regards to grooming, a bit too far away anyway.  ;)  Will have a look on Amazon for the recommended books, I have just bought a few books on Amazon and already have the one from PAH. :)

Thanks for the recommendations.   Just ordered the booklet from the Cocker Club.  :D

**DALEMSTAR COCKERS**

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2006, 08:53:49 AM »
The ringcraft classes I am starting on Tuesday are run by a guy who used to show American cockers, I would assume that the basic grooming needs are much the same?? 

To some extent but American Cockers seem to be clippered a lot more than our Cockers would be for the show ring so you really want someone who understands handstripping to guide you. Hopefully, you'll meet other Cocker people at ringcraft and they'll be able to help you.
Jane

Offline AnnieM

• Site Member
  • Jazmin
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2006, 10:52:08 AM »
Thanks Jane.  :D

**DALEMSTAR COCKERS**

Offline AnnieM

• Site Member
  • Jazmin
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2006, 07:23:50 PM »
Just a thought, is the DVD mentioned in the grooming thread any good, ie, does it give advice on handstripping, trimming cockers etc.?  Would you ever use a coat king on a show dog, or would you always handstrip?

**DALEMSTAR COCKERS**

Offline princess

• Site Member
  • elliott is my baby
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2006, 10:34:52 PM »
what about getting the dvd by jackie marris bray on how to groom your cocker.she knows her stuff.she shows and judges so you shouldnt go wrong ;)
paula & elliott

Offline AnnieM

• Site Member
  • Jazmin
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2006, 11:32:07 PM »
Yep! ordered it yesterday, so hopefully it will arrive soon and I can watch, learn and absorb, before I have to attack my babies, shouldn't be for a few months yet though I wouldn't have thought.   ;)

**DALEMSTAR COCKERS**

Offline GrahamT

• Site Member
  • kie 9 months (photo tracy morgan)
    • http://www.jalankiucockerspaniels.com
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2006, 08:19:02 AM »
WE HAVE THE DVD OF JACKIE MARRIS BRAY IT IS VERY GOOD BUT YOU LEARN BY YOUR MISTAKES ITS ALL GOOD FUN GOOD LUCK ;)