Author Topic: Grooming disaster  (Read 9851 times)

Offline CraftySam

• Site Member
  • Max, Morgan, Sapphi
Re: Grooming disaster
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2006, 11:32:48 PM »
Oh Gill, I've just caught this.  I can't believe that they did it in the first place and then phoned you after.  >:D  I agree with the others, the must have bodged it up and then decided to shave them.  Definitely write to them to complain and ask for your money back.

I certainly don't think you are silly, I would have been very upset and then very angry.

I'm definitely going to do Barney myself after all the horror stories.  I do know a good groomers though, but I've signed up for a workshop to learn how to groom him myself properly.

I would be interested to see what they did to your poor boys.  I can't offer any advice about it growing back, I truely am a novice.  ;)
Sam is mum to - Sapphi (working black Lab 5 1/2 yrs), Max (Golden Retriever 4 yrs) Morgan (American Cocker 2 1/2yrs) and mum in spirit to Barney (English Cocker 3 1/2 yrs now living in Scotland)

Offline janey

• Site Member
  • it wasn't me,honest
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2006, 11:54:11 PM »
gill thats awful,i can't believe they even took your money,how dare they >:(
i would have been very upset too

i think your story has been a warning to those of us who have not yet visited the groomers  ;)

I'm definitely going to do Barney myself after all the horror stories.  I do know a good groomers though, but I've signed up for a workshop to learn how to groom him myself properly.

thats a great idea sam,how did you find the workshop,i know i don't live near you but would be interested if there were any run round here ;)

love Janey and Molly xxx

Offline Rhona

• Site Member
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2006, 09:49:51 AM »
Oh Gill what a shame.  I know how you feel.  The very first time we got Sam done I really did not know what to ask for and just rather stupidly thought they would give him a "bog standard cocker spaniel cut!!"    He was shaved too.  This corresponded with the first COL meet we ever went on.  I felt really ill the whole time when I looked at all the other dogs then looked at my poor Sam.   

I am always really wary now when he is cut.  In fact I think the best way of describing what he gets is a bath and a trim.  I mostly try and do him myself now and no I am not very good at it and he hates it and rolls about all over the place.  I do a tiny bit of him every other day - keeps the knots out but he is still a bit of a scruff!!!!

I suppose the good thing is that it does grow back really quickly and in a few weeks they are fine.
Rhona and Sam

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2006, 10:30:45 AM »

Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline MrsMac

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2006, 10:42:02 AM »
Now that's what I call a haircut  :o   >:D  Gill I'd be furious and definately ask for my money back.  Looking at it on a positive note at least its been done properly by someone who must have known how to shave a dog and not a 'junior' who was let loose for the first time.  At least when it grows back its going to be 'even' all round.

I'm too much of a novice to give any real advice sorry  :D ph34r
Mairi & Melody
Melody

Friends are the angels that lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly

Offline michelle123

• Site Member
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2006, 10:53:54 AM »
Poor you, I know how this feels.  Blue's first grooming session was a disaster.  He has been cut again but am not happy with his paws !  ;) 
We are seriously considering doing it ourselves and therefore will be posting tons of questions on the grooming threads ! 
Got to say though that it does grow back quickly 

Offline Rhona W

• Site Member
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2006, 11:02:00 AM »
OMG! What were they thinking?  :o  :o  Even for a working cocker that is a bit severe! I'm surprised they left the ears long on Vegas. And the boys don't look very happy either in those photos.
Sorry. That probably didn't make you feel any better at all.  ph34r

So, as my friend at school said to me the day after my mum had cut my hair, at least it will grow again!  :blink: 

PS - I'd definitely go for a refund as it is nothing like what you asked for.  >:(

Offline Cayley

• Site Member
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2006, 11:45:51 AM »
How much of a mistake can someone make that would mean clipping that much off  :o.
Cayley.

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2006, 01:42:34 PM »
OMG Gill, poor you - I think they need to give you extra cuddles to make up for it   ;)

I'm sure they don't mind too much although it will probably be a bit strange for them the first few days - can I just ask, what is the deal with Vegas' ears?? Presumably, they hadn't got round to doing those when they phoned you  :huh:  ::)

Thank goodness it's summer, at least the boys won't be too cold - I hope your letter gets you some form of recompense - I would copy this thread to them too - to show them the kind of negative publicity they have got  :-\
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline happydog

• Site Member
  • Run free, my Beautiful Bella 2005-2017
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2006, 02:19:29 PM »
I am no expert on grooming, I admit I personally prefer a minimum of interference with the cut of a dogs natural coat.

If these were my dogs then I would be asking for my money back AND compensation. What if you had intended to show them this year??? They deserve bad publicity if that is typical of what they do to beautiful cockers. To do that against your instructions, without asking first, is in my view totally out of order, -and to then expect you to pay for it   :o is simply adding insult to injury. Name and shame them that's what I say....

Oh Gill, everyone is right, the dogs wont mind, once they get used to it and ultimately that is the most important thing. They will  be happier in this hot weather, and probably  quite bouncy as a result.

I am sorry that I'm not feeling particularly tactful today, but incompetence really makes me mad...  >:(
happydog

Whatever today brings, ensure that you make some good memories

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2006, 02:31:04 PM »
Oh dear Gill - bet you felt like crying when you saw them :-\ This has to be one lazy groomer - whoever did this didn't even use a clipping blade suitable for a Cocker but has gone for what looks like a #10 all over and then had the cheek to charge you £25 each for something that would have taken no time at all :o At least hair grows quickly and they will look a bit more dignified in a couple of weeks ;)
Jane

Offline happydog

• Site Member
  • Run free, my Beautiful Bella 2005-2017
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2006, 02:38:58 PM »
Go and stick enlarged prints of your newly groomed pooches on the outside of their door. They'll be delighted with all the extra business it will bring in....
happydog

Whatever today brings, ensure that you make some good memories

Offline jann

• Site Member
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2006, 02:47:41 PM »
Go and stick enlarged prints of your newly groomed pooches on the outside of their door. They'll be delighted with all the extra business it will bring in....
I agree with Happydog ! They can't be allowed to get away with this Gill, but don't worry too much I'm sure they'll look better in a week or two.

Offline Luvly

• Site Member
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2006, 03:14:35 PM »
 :luv:
Nikkoletta + Wunderschöne Welpen Lindos demais

Offline AnnieM

• Site Member
  • Jazmin
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2006, 03:22:55 PM »
OH, what a shame, but as everyone has said it will grow back. 
If it is any conscolation (sp) my hubby once clipped our springer himself and she was pink  >:(  with all her little teats hanging she looked b****y awful and nobody wanted to walk her for a week until the pink bits had gone, she had to go walkies under the cover of darkness, so at least yours aren't that bad.  Needless to say the clippers have now been confined to the bin and hubby has had strict instructions not to come anywhere near my babies with any sort of cutting implements , even the nail clippers.  :005:

**DALEMSTAR COCKERS**