Author Topic: Grooming disaster  (Read 9973 times)

Offline Deb H

• Site Member
Re: Grooming disaster
« Reply #45 on: August 05, 2006, 10:15:06 PM »
Sorry Gill only just caught up with this. First your boys are stunning second report them get your money back and hope to goodness they don't do this to any one else's spaniel. How on earth they had the nerve to charge you is way beyond belief. Like others have said it will be nice and cool in this weather. When i used to have Henry clipped we always said he went in looking like a sheep and came out looking like a goat 9but with feathering). :005:
He is your friend,your partner,your defender,your dog. You are his life,his love,his leader. He will be yours,faithfull and true,to the last beat of his heart.You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.Anon.
Deb,Henry,Jasper & George angel babies. Sydney,Harry,Jethro,Dhali Hebe Seth Hades Moses

Offline ~Jilly~

• Site Member
« Reply #46 on: August 05, 2006, 10:33:36 PM »
omg!

I've only just seen this thread and I have to say I can't blame you for being upset, I gasped when I scrolled down to the pics, they'd have known I wasn't happy if I'd collected them because I would have literally bawled my eyes out there and then.

When Bella had her first 'trim' I cried when hubby brought her home and in comparison she still had lots of hair, she just didn't look like my Bella anymore and for a few hours I have to admit I couldn't even look at her  ph34r

I'd be really upset if they'd done that to me, don't let them get away with that, it's awful, a bad haircut would be bad enough but there is no excuse to scalp them like that, how can they call themselves professional groomers? Sorry if that all sounds harsh, your story has really wound me up  >:(

The good news is that it will grow back and if they're anything like Bella it will grow really quickly. Bella soon looked 'normal' again and I no longer let my groomer do her head (I do it myself when she comes home) but don't let it lie, I would expect a refund PLUS compensation and make sure everyone you know locally with a dog hears about this and doesn't use them.

Offline CraftySam

• Site Member
  • Max, Morgan, Sapphi
« Reply #47 on: August 06, 2006, 01:41:19 AM »
Gill, you most certainly are not over reacting.  ph34r

I can only agree with everyone else, I was really shocked.  :o

Definitely strong letter, refund and I really would tell them you want some compensation, and I don't mean a free grooming session.  ;)  ph34r
Sam is mum to - Sapphi (working black Lab 5 1/2 yrs), Max (Golden Retriever 4 yrs) Morgan (American Cocker 2 1/2yrs) and mum in spirit to Barney (English Cocker 3 1/2 yrs now living in Scotland)

Offline CraftySam

• Site Member
  • Max, Morgan, Sapphi
« Reply #48 on: August 06, 2006, 01:46:51 AM »

I'm definitely going to do Barney myself after all the horror stories.  I do know a good groomers though, but I've signed up for a workshop to learn how to groom him myself properly.

thats a great idea sam,how did you find the workshop,i know i don't live near you but would be interested if there were any run round here ;)

I'm going to a workshop at MyPetStop in Leeds.  There is one in Manchester, which would be closer to you.  If its within travelling distance for you I'd ring and ask them if they hold grooming courses there too.
Sam is mum to - Sapphi (working black Lab 5 1/2 yrs), Max (Golden Retriever 4 yrs) Morgan (American Cocker 2 1/2yrs) and mum in spirit to Barney (English Cocker 3 1/2 yrs now living in Scotland)

Offline Neville

• Site Member
  • Me 13 weeks old
« Reply #49 on: August 06, 2006, 08:45:35 AM »
Just caught up with this.

I'm so sorry for what they have done to your beautiful doggies!

I wonder - have you used these groomers before or was this a first time?

Good luck with the letter - please post their reply on here - I'm sure it will be interesting!

>:D >:D

Crafty Sam - I'll be in touch with My Pet Stop later regarding their grooming class!  Thanks for the hint.
Look forward to hearing from you!

Penel

« Reply #50 on: August 06, 2006, 10:51:02 AM »
The pics are as I expected  :'( I would be livid  >:D
Poor you  :'(
Make sure that letter is very very strong >:(

Offline speedyjaney

• Site Member
« Reply #51 on: August 06, 2006, 11:35:16 AM »
OMG Gill - I would have cried I think!

Jessie is clipped but they leave her feathering on her ears, skirt, legs etc....I am always a little disappointed as she doesnt look like the show dogs I see on here but at least she looks like a pet cocker!

Well the sun is here so they should feel a bit cool but be careful they spend too much time in the sun as they dont have the long hair to protect their skin now.

Make sure you get your money back and make sure other cocker owners avois this place!

JAne

Offline happydog

• Site Member
  • Run free, my Beautiful Bella 2005-2017
« Reply #52 on: August 06, 2006, 03:35:09 PM »
The pics are as I expected  :'( I would be livid  >:D
Poor you  :'(
Make sure that letter is very very strong >:(
Tell them that if you had wanted a cut like that you would have taken them to a sheep shearer. My local sheep farmer employs a sheep shearer that could have done a better job, and I bet he doesn't charge £25 per sheep either. >:(
happydog

Whatever today brings, ensure that you make some good memories

Offline janey

• Site Member
  • it wasn't me,honest
« Reply #53 on: August 06, 2006, 04:57:36 PM »

I'm definitely going to do Barney myself after all the horror stories.  I do know a good groomers though, but I've signed up for a workshop to learn how to groom him myself properly.

thats a great idea sam,how did you find the workshop,i know i don't live near you but would be interested if there were any run round here ;)

I'm going to a workshop at MyPetStop in Leeds.  There is one in Manchester, which would be closer to you.  If its within travelling distance for you I'd ring and ask them if they hold grooming courses there too.

thanks sam, ;)
will give them a ring tomorrow.manchester isn't too far away so could easily do the trip,certainly after gills experience with groomers
love Janey and Molly xxx

Offline Laura

• Site Member
« Reply #54 on: August 07, 2006, 09:36:53 PM »
Just seen this Gill - sending you a big hug.  Hope you get a satisfactory explanation!!

My friends blue roan Harvey was clipped off like this - owner was mortified at the time then enjoyed the freedom from grooming for a while  ph34r  Harvey's coat grew back ok. 
Laura x

Run free together boys. Missing you both xx
Bailey  29/04/04 - 16/03/11
Brogan 29/07/03 - 22/10/09

Offline perrystell

• Site Member
    • Gunmoor Grooming
« Reply #55 on: August 08, 2006, 06:58:58 PM »
Hi again Gill, I've just posted some pics on a new thread 'not all groomers scalp' with some pics of george a cocker i clip short on the back but with longer feathering and I don't think he looks too shabby!So please don't worry about your two they are still beautiful and before long they will need another de fuzzing but please do shop around and ask if a groomer has a portfolio I know a lot do keep them as reference to their own style , Nicky x

Offline LoveCatz

• Site Member
« Reply #56 on: August 08, 2006, 07:21:00 PM »
I've been offline for a few days and I have to say I am stunned.  ph34r I would be furious too. My Pepsi has an awfully thick coat and as she's been swimming a lot lately she was got a couple of matts and is going to the groomers next week for a trim - if she comes out looking like that the groomer won't get paid. On the plus side they will be cooler if the weather hots up and it if they are anything like Pepsi it will grow back qickly.

Offline DennyK

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #57 on: August 09, 2006, 04:27:49 PM »
Blimey, Gill: thems is two mighty pi**ed off looking spaniels, and I don't blame them.  The phrases you're looking for are:

1.  failure to follow instructions or to get proper advance authority for deviating from those instructions - so services not supplied as being of a satisfactory quality; and
2.  lack of reasonable care and skill in carrying out the grooming services.

Ask for your money back, and say that "I am expressly reserving my position with regard to seeking reimbursement of any further costs incurred for remedial grooming required as a result of potentially long-term coat problems due to such inappropriate treatment.".

Finally - as well as threatening them with Trading Standards, consider whether to get in touch with your local paper if you really feel like getting even - a couple of piccies should do the trick for their business, especially if you've got some cutesome "before" piccies....

Man, I'm so mad on your behalf!

Denise >:D >:D >:D

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #58 on: August 09, 2006, 04:57:21 PM »
Oh my... I just caught up with this again  :o :o 

I agree with everyone else - you're most definitely not overreacting and it's absolutely disgraceful that they had the cheek to charge you for that as well, the pure brass neck of them!  :o >:( >:(

They will be lovely and cool though and as mentioned, the ladies must be well impressed!  ;) :005:
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Neville

• Site Member
  • Me 13 weeks old
« Reply #59 on: August 17, 2006, 11:10:18 PM »
Just wondered Gill - have you written the letter yet?
Look forward to hearing from you!