Author Topic: Help re: Ear Grooming  (Read 853 times)

Offline BellaBoo

• Site Member
Help re: Ear Grooming
« on: September 01, 2006, 12:27:38 PM »
Hi,

My Bella has a lovely coat and I can manage to groom her body without problems but when it comes to the ears I am baffled, I am too afraid to set to work on them in case I butcher her!  So I want to find out what the correct procedure is before i even pick up a scissors!!  This is how she looks at present:

Offline sarah25

• Site Member
  • Charbonnel Love'N'It At Oramiss
    • Oramiss Cocker Spaniels
Re: Help re: Ear Grooming
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2006, 12:33:23 PM »
I cant see her  :huh:

Offline BellaBoo

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2006, 12:41:32 PM »
oops!  is it working now?

Offline DennyK

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2006, 01:57:12 PM »
Sometimes piccies appear for some people and not for others.  I can see her and she's gorgeous.  I have to confess to loving curly ears, but I find that Paddy (ten months) just picks up loads of rubbish in them. 

I cut the undersides up as short as I can with a discomforted cocker pulling away all the time, and then use thinning scissors (which don't seem to freak him out as much as the solid scissors - must sound different) on what's left underneath.

I use a Coat King on the ears - top and underside - and it thins everything out.  On the edges, I cut with solid scissors to the right length and then use thinning scissors to "soften" the hard edge I've just cut.

I still have wavy ears (Paddy's, sadly, aren't as curly as your lovely Bella's) but less bulk - so day to day brushing with the slicker is easier too and much quicker.

Hope that helps.

Denise

Offline BellaBoo

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2006, 02:40:46 PM »
cool, thanks DennyK,

That's the look I'm going for, less bulky and more sleek.  I'll invest in some thinning scissors and definitely a coat king as i've heard so much about them.  She's like a mad Fraggle at the moment!  Bless, she deserves a serious makeover now after giving birth to her babies just under 2 weeks ago.  There's gonna be lots of pampering (more than normal!) coming her way.

p.s. if anybody has any photos of a "job in progress" that would be brilliant.