Author Topic: Working Cockers Ears  (Read 856 times)

Offline debbie321

• Site Member
Working Cockers Ears
« on: September 05, 2006, 09:26:54 PM »
I rarely post on this bit as Ben is a worker and doesn't have all the feathering to deal with  ;)  His ears are gorgeous but they do get mats under them.  I have usually managed to bribe him with a cheese filled bone while I try and tease them out with a comb, but some beat me leaving me cutting them out  ph34r  Is there something I could do to stop the mats in the first place?  I've read about all the lovely equipment you use but not sure what to use on this one problem?  Cutting the long fur under the ears won't show and I'm sure both he and I would be happier in the evening without me tugging and pulling at his ears  ;)

What should I buy, how do I use it and how often???

Penel

Re: Working Cockers Ears
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2006, 09:29:14 PM »
Hattie is a working cocker - I comb her ears through every few days and they never matt... she does have very silky fine fur though.  Even Tilly my show cocker, never gets matts in her ears as I comb them through every couple of days... I wouldn't cut them at all tbh.

Offline debbie321

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2006, 09:40:10 PM »
Thanks penel.  I now brush Ben daily ............... counting the sticky buds as I go!  He didn't get brushed daily (more every two or three days, but now his coat has gone 'teddy bear' like (down to castration I think) he gets a once over.  These matted bits manage to hide themselves until they're a problem.  I will have to give him more than a quick brush and take more care of his 'hidden' bits.  Don't really want to start cutting his coat as he's looking dead cute  ;)

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2006, 09:55:41 PM »
we use a coat king sometimes (penel, don't get excited - the tuft remains the same ph34r) on jarv's ears - and i do (after seeing alfie working cocker's latest trim) trim his ears sometimes
helen & jarvis x

Offline maximus

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2006, 10:28:19 PM »
Max also occaisionally gets mats under his ears usually if he hasnt been brushed for a few days, he too hasn't got much feathering on him so i don't really need to groom every day,  he's quite good though and lets me loosen and break down the mats with my fingers, and then i give his ears a brush , i have been tempted to trim the hair under his ears but havent cause i love his fluffy ears.  :D

Offline happydog

• Site Member
  • Run free, my Beautiful Bella 2005-2017
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2006, 10:58:54 PM »
I only use a comb on Fern's ears. Like Hattie they are fine and silky so rarely do they matt. If they do it is always at the back/base in the same place, so I always ensure they are combed there every time and any tiny matts removed straight away.
happydog

Whatever today brings, ensure that you make some good memories

Offline MaxG

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2006, 10:39:03 AM »
I brush under Max's ears every day but keep that fine hair there fairly trimmed cos it does tend to get knotty quite easily. You can't notice at all & it does help.  ;)
from Kath & 'Mad Max' !!