Author Topic: Grooming question (again!)  (Read 867 times)

Offline magicflower

• Site Member
  • Ruby-doos!
Grooming question (again!)
« on: October 27, 2006, 08:12:59 AM »
We are thinking about having Ruby speyed after her first season. We aren't going to breed or show her.

I have read somewhere that having her speyed may alter her coat. If so, in what way?

Also, I am hoping to get myself a Coat King and thinning scissors soon, so that I can trim her up. Her breeder showed me the basics when I saw her last week.

Will it be OK to continue grooming her with the Coat king etc (If I am able to master the technique!) or will she need to be clipped after speying?

Confused of Devon!

Tracey, Ruby and Boomer xx

Offline DennyK

• Site Member
    • http://
Re: Grooming question (again!)
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2006, 02:33:05 PM »
Most but not all owners report a thickening of the fur after spaying/neutering - haven't had my boy done, but have seen two bitches - one was unchanged, the other one was a bit woolly.

I was a big fan of the Coat King but haven't used it much for a few months because I hadn't realised that it cuts off hairs as well as raking out loose hairs/fluff/debris and I found that it was making Paddy's coat feel a little brittle due to the stubbly ends of the hairs.  It's difficult to say what is cause and effect, because I also changed him onto raw food and quickly saw a huge improvement in his coat - softer, glossier - but I think stopping with the Coat King has helped too.  I still use it on his ears but that's all - and only once a week.

Denise

Offline CraftySam

• Site Member
  • Max, Morgan, Sapphi
Re: Grooming question (again!)
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2006, 03:50:30 PM »
I've just had Barney castrated.  I was undecided as to what to do, purely down to the coat issue.

I coat king Barney and have had great results and I also do bits of handstripping. I'm told that handstripping just won't be possible when his coat changes so I'm hoping that with a combination of thinning scissors and coat king I'll be able to keep on top of it.
I gather alot of people do clipper dogs after neutering and I'm also told out of all the colours if you are going to clip blue roans look the best.  ;)
I've seen a few clipped golds and I've not been too keen on the finish, besides which I tried to use clippers on Barney between his paw pads and he freaked as soon as you turned them on  ::)

I went to watch Groomer of the Year competition last weekend. A guy in the competition did  a cocker purely using thinning scissors and it looked amazing, and he was placed in the competition apparently (I'd left by then). So if the coat king fails I'd have a go with thinning scissors before reaching for the clippers I think.
Sam is mum to - Sapphi (working black Lab 5 1/2 yrs), Max (Golden Retriever 4 yrs) Morgan (American Cocker 2 1/2yrs) and mum in spirit to Barney (English Cocker 3 1/2 yrs now living in Scotland)