Author Topic: Barney and Jade's Day at a Grooming Workshop  (Read 8974 times)

Offline CraftySam

• Site Member
  • Max, Morgan, Sapphi
Re: Barney and Jade's Day at a Grooming Workshop
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2006, 01:34:31 AM »
Ann, she still looks so gorgeous!  :luv:  I can't wait to see Amber when you've done her! I'm feeling rather envious of you having another to do.  :shades:

Everyone else......bring them on!!  :005:  I just love doing it and poor Barney's going to end up with more time on the grooming table than anywhere else as I just love doing it!  ::)  :005:  I wonder if I'm a bit odd, liking it so much.  :lol:
Sam is mum to - Sapphi (working black Lab 5 1/2 yrs), Max (Golden Retriever 4 yrs) Morgan (American Cocker 2 1/2yrs) and mum in spirit to Barney (English Cocker 3 1/2 yrs now living in Scotland)

Offline AnnieM

• Site Member
  • Jazmin
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2006, 07:55:52 AM »
Amber will get done today, I hope, but first we are off to the woods, which equals mud, so that means a bath first, so I guess I'll be taking a fluff ball to ringcraft tonight.  ::)  She stays fluffy for ages.

**DALEMSTAR COCKERS**

Offline Elisa

• Site Member
  • Double Trouble
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2006, 02:29:31 PM »
Brilliant job!!   :D  He looks fantastic  :luv: :luv:

It doesn't show up very well that he really has a two tone effect, rich gold body and light gold feathering and legs.

Bailey has that.  A deep red on his back but really light feathering on his legs.  I love it!!!  :luv:

Thanks Elisa.  :D  So Bailey has stayed that way then?  I wondered if it was still puppy fur and would change as he got older, but maybe not then.

Yes, Bailey's has stayed like that.  His feathering is very thick,  fluffy and light, but his back is silky smooth and a very deep colour.  The top of his head is very light too.

This is the best pic I could find that you can see the difference.  Not the best, sorry  ph34r

Elisa, Bailey & Harvey  xxx

Offline CraftySam

• Site Member
  • Max, Morgan, Sapphi
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2006, 02:35:49 PM »
Brilliant job!!   :D  He looks fantastic  :luv: :luv:

It doesn't show up very well that he really has a two tone effect, rich gold body and light gold feathering and legs.

Bailey has that.  A deep red on his back but really light feathering on his legs.  I love it!!!  :luv:

Thanks Elisa.  :D  So Bailey has stayed that way then?  I wondered if it was still puppy fur and would change as he got older, but maybe not then.

Yes, Bailey's has stayed like that.  His feathering is very thick,  fluffy and light, but his back is silky smooth and a very deep colour.  The top of his head is very light too.

This is the best pic I could find that you can see the difference.  Not the best, sorry  ph34r

Thanks Elisa.  :D Barney's very much like Bailey, though his head is a bit darker than Bailey's but his legs are just the same.
Sam is mum to - Sapphi (working black Lab 5 1/2 yrs), Max (Golden Retriever 4 yrs) Morgan (American Cocker 2 1/2yrs) and mum in spirit to Barney (English Cocker 3 1/2 yrs now living in Scotland)

Offline sarah25

• Site Member
  • Charbonnel Love'N'It At Oramiss
    • Oramiss Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2006, 02:44:26 PM »
Yes, providing they got the application on time.  I forgot to post it and suddenly realised Friday morning.  ::)  I am very worried about it though as it's my first ever show and with little stunners like Chico around I can see the competition will be tough.   :P  Oh well we will go, try and enjoy and see what happens.  ph34r

You can always phone up the secretary and ask if they have recived your entry form  :blink:
Its also Chico's first show aswell  :blink: so  we are not sure how he will be.

Offline Joelf

• Site Member
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2006, 04:36:25 PM »
Wow- Barney & Jade look really fabulous!!

I do like the solid colours;they both look so shiney!!
Jo, Domino (cocker) & Spike (black lab.)

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2006, 05:06:20 PM »
Jade is lovely  :luv:

Good luck at their first show Ann!  :D
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline AnnieM

• Site Member
  • Jazmin
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2006, 05:24:54 PM »
Thank you, unless I bottle it and don't go.  :huh:

**DALEMSTAR COCKERS**

Offline Harriet

• Site Member
« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2006, 05:29:36 PM »
Do go  :D! I'm sure you'll enjoy it and if not at least you've tryed/had a go  :shades:

Offline AnnieM

• Site Member
  • Jazmin
« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2006, 05:52:42 PM »
I probably will, Jade is a bit leggy and without much featherings, she looks it.  She will look better when she has something to cover those gorgeous long legs of hers, wish I took after her.  :005:

**DALEMSTAR COCKERS**

Offline *-Nikki-*

• Site Member
    • www.nicibec-cockers.moonfruit.com
« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2006, 07:41:36 PM »
You've both done a great job :D ! Gold's aren't the easiest are they :005: ?!!
Look forward to seeing you at Rotherham, Ann - Good luck! (not that you'll need it!)
Nikki X

Offline Saffie

• Site Member
« Reply #41 on: October 11, 2006, 08:21:08 AM »
Fantastic Job.

If you fancy a challenge I will send Saffie round. The last few weeks she has turned into a ball of fluff. I am not sure if it is a winter coat she is growing or just her puppy coat gone mad.  :005:

Offline CraftySam

• Site Member
  • Max, Morgan, Sapphi
« Reply #42 on: October 12, 2006, 02:12:32 AM »
Rich, I've not seen pics of her for a bit, but she's really grown up and she's got such a pretty face.  :luv: How old is Saffie now? If I remember rightly she's a tad older than Barney so is she about 7 months?

No, its not a winter coat. Her puppy fluff looks as if it may be ready to be stripped out, if not it might be in a month or two. Have you had a go to see if its ready? Her top knot looks like its ready for taming.  :005:  It seems to differ from pup to pup when they are ready to be stripped, Barney seemed to be ready about a month ago which is fairly early from what I can gather. Try weaving a rubber band through a comb, then run in through her coat. If it brings out hair then some of her puppy coat if not all is ready to come out.
I'll happily pass on to you what I learnt at the workshop, you're not far from me, so drop me a PM. I loved doing Barney, I'm even looking forward to his coat growing again!  :005: Maybe I've found myself a new hobby.  ;)

Offline Saffie

• Site Member
« Reply #43 on: October 12, 2006, 08:02:15 AM »
Hi Sam,

Saffie will be 34 weeks old on sunday.

I tried the rubber band and comb yesterday and a fair bit came out but I didnt know how much force to be putting on it and I have chop loads off her head with thinning scissors last week and the wee before that. She has gotten so much darker than we she first came home. I dont want to harm her with the hand stripping by pulling too hard or the wrong way!

Offline CraftySam

• Site Member
  • Max, Morgan, Sapphi
« Reply #44 on: October 12, 2006, 09:04:33 PM »
Rich, I was like you until I went on the workshop, I wasn't sure whether to keep going with the comb as loads of hair was coming out. I'd asked on here and was told it would only bring out the dead hair that was waiting to come out. If you're not going to show her I'd use a coat king. Thats what I used in the end, it was by far the most efficent way of getting the puppy coat out. I believe blue roans have even more puppy fluff than golds, but again depends from dog to dog. For example blacks usually have alot more than golds, but Barney had at least twice the amount of fluff than AnnieM's Jade who is black.

I'd try handstripping her head. Pull in the direction of her growth, pick up only a very small amount and don't pull at the end of the hair, pull nearer the base of the shaft, maybe just over half way down. If its ready to come out it will come out fairly easlier. She looks like she's got a fair amount to come out so do it a bit each day.

Of course there's the option of clippering, I believe once you start there's no going back. If you're going to spay her she'll have to be clipped from then on. If you're not going to spay then personally I'd try stick with the hand stripping. If you want some help with stripping and trimming give me a shout. Not all groomers hand strip, I know they do at MyPetStop for a small fortune!! If you want to go down the clipping route I know someone who has just had their cocker pup clipped and they are very pleased with the results (I've not seen her) and was done very reasonably in Morley.