Author Topic: What would you expect for £25?  (Read 2692 times)

Offline allym

• Site Member
  • Grrrrrrrrr!
What would you expect for £25?
« on: November 08, 2006, 10:24:06 PM »
Bit of a random question, I realise!  I had Henry groomed last week and was a bit disappointed with the result, but just want to check that my expectations weren't unrealistic?

Up until now I've been doing it myself, but I seem to have been so busy recently that I haven't had time to keep ontop of it, so I thought that if I had him done professionally, then I could just continue from there. I thought that the 'tricky' bits like his throat and face would be done, but they weren't.  He wasn't bathed or washed at all, and although his paws and feathers has been done nicely, he really didn't look like he had been groomed... 

Was I expecting too much?!
Ally and Henry the Hound xx

Offline daftcockers

• Site Member
    • http://www.chaysonniecockers.co.uk
Re: What would you expect for £25?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2006, 10:25:48 PM »
No you weren"t
WWW.CHAYSONNIECOCKERS.CO.UK

Thanks susan and the gang

Offline Luvly

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2006, 10:32:57 PM »
 :lol2:
Nikkoletta + Wunderschöne Welpen Lindos demais

Offline allym

• Site Member
  • Grrrrrrrrr!
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2006, 10:44:03 PM »
It wasn't the money that I was bothered about really, I guess I just wondered if there were different 'levels' of grooming (like with human haircuts!)...  I just wanted him to look smart, but I was a bit disappointed.
Ally and Henry the Hound xx

Offline *-Nikki-*

• Site Member
    • www.nicibec-cockers.moonfruit.com
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2006, 10:44:34 PM »
No I don't think you were expecting too much! We only normally trim the dogs we have bred, living in pet homes...but for 25quid I would expect the dog to be bathed and fully trimmed....or is that just me being cheap  :huh:  I don't like trimming ours with unwashed coats never mind some else's who are paying!  

Offline MrsMac

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2006, 10:45:40 PM »
Melly is £35 every 8 weeks and she sometimes has straggly bits but I just imagine that happens because she wriggles on the grooming table  :005:
Mairi & Melody
Melody

Friends are the angels that lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly

Offline kate.s

• Site Member
    • Ghost Tours UK
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2006, 10:48:18 PM »
I would've expected a bath groom and nails cut.....but I don't know if what people charge varies in different areas. I'm in Manchester so it may be cheaper up here  ;)

Saying that I enquired at My Pet Stop last week and they quoted me £38  :o
Love Kate and Sam xxx

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2006, 10:50:37 PM »
I get a superb job for £25 - bathed, cut/stripped as I want it, blow dried, nails clipped - a full top to toe makeover  ;)

See if you can get personal recommendations rather than bigger commercial groomers - the groomer I use doesn't advertise at all; she shows and breeds her own dogs (cockers) and grooms as well  ;)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline MrsMac

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2006, 11:02:13 PM »
See if you can get personal recommendations rather than bigger commercial groomers - the groomer I use doesn't advertise at all; she shows and breeds her own dogs (cockers) and grooms as well  ;)

Thats very similar to our groomer Rachel, she breeds and shows Gordon Setters.  She doesn't advertise, all her clients are found through word of mouth.
Mairi & Melody
Melody

Friends are the angels that lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly

Offline Luvly

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2006, 11:12:03 PM »
x
Nikkoletta + Wunderschöne Welpen Lindos demais

Offline ChezzRaynor

• Site Member
  • Oscar
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2006, 11:52:11 PM »
I took Oscar for his first 'haircut' when he was 6 months old, I was given conflicting advise on this as the breeder I got him from said he shouldn't be groomed until 12 months old but my vet said go ahead and get him done, he looked like a little woolly mammoth as he has really thick fur, he also looked all out of proportion - big fat round body and little head! In fact my hubby said he looked like a furry tic  ph34r! And 2 little boys I passed going to the shop commented on the nice little POODLE I had!!!!!! I was really worried about where to take him so on one of our daily walks I bumped into the usual cocker owners that we always see and I asked where they had their dogs groomed, was the best thing I ever did. She charges £20 and he gets the works, lovely cocker spaniel cut, nails clipped, ears cleaned, shampooed and smelling lovely! I think I would find another groomer if I where you.
Cheryl, Oscar, Dillan and Smudge

Offline CraftySam

• Site Member
  • Max, Morgan, Sapphi
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2006, 12:28:35 AM »
Saying that I enquired at My Pet Stop last week and they quoted me £38  :o

That would have been the cheaper one then.  ;) Handstripping a cocker every 6-8 weeks is nearer £60 at MyPetStop! Hence I went on their workshop to learn to do it myself for £80  :005:
Sam is mum to - Sapphi (working black Lab 5 1/2 yrs), Max (Golden Retriever 4 yrs) Morgan (American Cocker 2 1/2yrs) and mum in spirit to Barney (English Cocker 3 1/2 yrs now living in Scotland)

Offline TOPAZ BILLY

• Site Member
  • De Girls!
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2006, 07:09:17 AM »
I was going to start this post with I charge from 25.00 for stripping!! ;) might be miss read.

Averages in the North West about 20.00 for a clip, Handstripping varies wildly from 30-60 :o I do the odd trim now mainly cockers & border terriers (don't ask) thoroughly enjoy it :D all through word of mouth and I don't charge anything like 60 for handstripping, oh and I always bath them.

Put it down to experience and find a new groomer.

Michelle

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2006, 07:20:14 AM »
I am down south and I pay £27 for a wash, full groom and clip so I think for £25 you should have had the full works!  ;)
Julie and Watson

Offline speedyjaney

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2006, 12:43:32 PM »
We pay £20 for Jessie and £20 for Saffi every 7/8 weeks.

They get bathed, trimmed (clipped on the back head and throat for Jessie and the back for Saffi, thinned and cut everywhere else) nails done if we ask, anal glands done if we ask...ears done is we ask. Blown dry and a bow in their hair!

Sometimes are better than others but generally we are happy

Jane