Author Topic: 2 Day Basic Grooming Course  (Read 2231 times)

Offline Max X 2

• Site Member
2 Day Basic Grooming Course
« on: November 21, 2006, 10:50:06 AM »
I've just spotted a 2 day basic dog grooming course in Pershore & was wondering if any one has any experience of this or any thoughts would be appreciated.
I hope the link works.

http://www.pershore.ac.uk/c_animal_12.html

I'd love to be able to groom Max "properly" myself.  He went to the groomers only 4 weeks ago but unfortuantely his paws were not cut very short & he's already looking like a lovely yeti.  Nice but not practical this time of year.  They are worse than normal as I've had a week away & although my friend brushed him daily she struggled with his paws & underneath.  I've managed to de-matt his under carriage, which I've had to do in daily short sessions but he won't (& never has) let me near his paws.  I need to gain the confidence too.
Maxine owned by Max & Harry

Offline Saffie

• Site Member
Re: 2 Day Basic Grooming Course
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2006, 11:10:44 AM »
I find it has been easier to get to Saffie's paws if I play with them while she is asleep, but I still have to do it in short bursts as she has always been protective of her front paws.

Offline ladylola

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2006, 01:23:36 PM »
sasha hates having her front paws touched. and has infact gone for me when trying to groom them. so she looks like a yeti too.
Julie. Owned by Sasha, Ellie, Monty, Paisley, Louie & Molly
One just isn't enough.

Offline DennyK

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2006, 01:39:18 PM »
I know a few people on here have done this type of course and have been very pleased that they did.  Why don't you contact the course trainer and try to get a feel for whether he/she inspires confidence and what the knowledge levels are for long-haired breeds like cockers? 

Let us know how you get on.  Going to look for one in Windsor now!

Denise

Offline sportsmonki

• Site Member
  • Storm
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2006, 11:40:11 AM »
Hi, I have no experience of courses, so cant advise.

I was very lucky in that a breeder quite local to me offered to show me how to trim Storm.  It might also be worth seeing if there are any groomers/breeders with cocker specific knowledge/experience in your area who may be willing to show you how to trim Max?  Just another option you might want to consider (or go all out and do both  ;) )

Offline Marian

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2006, 09:39:33 PM »
I'm booked on this course in April!!

Apparently they get booked up pretty quick, so get your name down if you haven't already!

I clip Harvey's coat at the moment, but would like to learn to work on a few different breeds too and also learn some tricks of the trade.

I went on a one day course in Somerset - that was fab and was focussed purely on the cocker spaniel cut, so that I could look after Harv without having to pay huge grooming bills.

[IMG]http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f329/robinw48/dsc000685.jpg[IMG]

Offline CraftySam

• Site Member
  • Max, Morgan, Sapphi
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2006, 10:15:28 PM »
I went on a days course purely about grooming a cocker and loved it. I love doing Barney and he's very good though he always wants to go to sleep on the grooming table.  ::)

I can groom Barney all over without any problems. I don't know if thats because I had him on the grooming table from the day I brought him home and spent alot of time handling different parts of him. Like Saffie I find it easier to do the underneath of his paws while he's asleep, but on top I do a much better job when he's stood up.
Sam is mum to - Sapphi (working black Lab 5 1/2 yrs), Max (Golden Retriever 4 yrs) Morgan (American Cocker 2 1/2yrs) and mum in spirit to Barney (English Cocker 3 1/2 yrs now living in Scotland)

Offline PJ

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2006, 07:37:10 PM »
Wish we had something like this up in Lincolnshire!  I have asked one or two people for help but have been referred back to the video, that's OK in theory, but when I try I'm all fingers and thumbs!!  I don't want to clip her but my attempts with the scissors and hand stripping leave an awful lot to be desired!!  Like a few other people, she doesn't like her front paws touched, she appears to be very sensitive around her feet altogether but with gentle perserverance she lets me groom and trim between her paws (you can almost see her sucking her cheeks in and closing her eyes whilst I do it!) 

Would be interested to hear how the course goes and how much it helps!

Offline rob

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2006, 07:34:00 PM »
hi my name is rob  .. i have two cockers    rain orange roan  and evie  my black and tan   help  me  please  does anyone know off any  grooming courses in or around blackpool please help me . thanku  rob happy christmas to u all and all ur dogs to   rob

Offline jann

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2006, 11:11:31 PM »
Rob, Myerscough college do 10 week evening courses see www.myerscough.ac.uk

Offline LouiseH

• Site Member
  • Lourisma Moon Quest
    • Lourisma Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2006, 11:08:02 PM »
hi my name is rob  .. i have two cockers    rain orange roan  and evie  my black and tan   help  me  please  does anyone know off any  grooming courses in or around blackpool please help me . thanku  rob happy christmas to u all and all ur dogs to   rob

Welcome to the forum Rob, did you get the video?

Louise
www.Lourisma.co.uk
Louise Harrison
Lourisma Cocker Spaniels

Offline Victoria

• Site Member
  • Beautiful Betsy
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2007, 04:38:01 PM »
Hi

I did a two day course, which was great.  A word of warning, you might end up leaving the course a little poorer! I ended up buying quite a lot of equipment.  Who is the course you are doing  run by?