Author Topic: What do I ask for?  (Read 1992 times)

Offline Saffie

• Site Member
What do I ask for?
« on: November 15, 2006, 10:47:40 AM »
Saffie is now 9 months old and VERY fluffly. I use a coat king on her and brush her everyday but her legs, chest and "skirt" are wild. She is getting wet when out on walks and it take ages for her to dry and pick all the leaves out.

I have booked her in at the groomers on Friday to be tidied up. I don't what her shaving unless it is with a long guard on as I did have her clipped at 20 weeks and ended up with a white cocker with lots of black spots!!! Didn't really like it so short. Her back is fine and her head is cut weekly with thinning scissors.

If I tell the groomer to tidy her up is that enough or do I have to stand with her and explain exactly what I am after of is there something simple I should say!!!

Saffie is a blue roan and been spayed so I am hoping that I will slowly learn what do do as I have bought alot of the equipment but just wanted her tidied up so I can keep on top of it.

Offline Denise

• Site Member
Re: What do I ask for?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2006, 11:00:20 AM »
Just got Indie clipped this week and I think its a bit short but I dont really know as Ive never had a cocker before. I just went along with what the groomer was telling me he should look like but would like his coat a bit longer next time.
 :D
Denise

Offline DennyK

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2006, 12:33:43 PM »
What do you want??

Try page 2 of this thread http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=20579.15 for a photo of a "pet show trim" - workable but still a cocker spaniel.....Maybe take this along and say "a bit shorter here" or "just like that, there"?

Offline scooby's mum

• Site Member
  • Scooby & Misty's Mum
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2006, 12:48:32 PM »
Hiya

I trim Scooby myself and like to keep him quite long, although it is a pain in this weather.  I use thinning scissors, a coat king and I have just bought some really good clippers to do his head as it was a bit of a pain with the thinning scissors.

However, I do, occasionally, take him to a groomers (he's actually going tomorrow as I haven't had time to spend on his with the pup being here and he's looking a bit untidy).

First I explain exactly what I want, ie. the clippers have not to go near his body (only his head), I don't let them cut off his eyelashes and whiskers, I have his back done with the coat king and his legs etc., tidied up with thinning scissors.  I even wrote instructions down last time cause I was that nervous of them using clippers on his coat.

The lady I am taking him to tomorrow has only ever clipped cockers so I'm a bit worried she doesn't know what she's doing but she has assured me that she'll just tidy up his legs and not go near his coat with the clippers  :o

Just specify exactly what you want and write down instructions of what you don't and that way mistakes can't be made, hopefully  :lol:  Or even take in pictures if you can.
Love Joanne, Misty & Scooby

Offline DennyK

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2006, 12:20:33 PM »
Saffie

How did Friday go?  Are you pleased with the results?  Do post some "before" and "after" pictures please!

Denise

Offline Saffie

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2006, 07:16:19 PM »
Very pleased with the results and now have a much drier woof after walks and not so much brushing on a night so Saffie is much happier with that too  :005:

Let us just see how long it is before wooly mammoth comes back.

Offline AnnieM

• Site Member
  • Jazmin
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2006, 07:24:36 PM »
She looks amazing.  Very beautiful girl.  :luv:

**DALEMSTAR COCKERS**

Offline LucyJ

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2006, 08:59:50 PM »
She looks lovely - I will be taking the 'after' pictures along to the groomer next time Cooper needs a trim

Offline Michele

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2006, 09:58:52 PM »
Very smart  :shades:

Offline JackieD

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2006, 06:11:11 PM »
She looks a real cutie with her "bad hair day" look on the before pics but she is an absolute "stunner" with her hair all nicely tamed and trimmed  :luv:

Offline sportsmonki

• Site Member
  • Storm
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2006, 11:46:59 AM »
Wow!  She looks lovely.  I like the way the groomer trimmed her, it looks really good.

Offline MrsMac

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2006, 12:23:05 PM »
Awww she's so sweet, I like her new 'do'  :005:
Mairi & Melody
Melody

Friends are the angels that lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly

Offline Saffie

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2006, 12:37:55 PM »
I thought it was about time I had her to the groomers after I over heard a young boy (about 4 or 5) asking his dad as we walked past "Is that a wolf?"  :005: :005:

Offline DennyK

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2006, 02:17:50 PM »
She looks fantastic before and after.

I confess: I'm getting to be a convert to top knots after being strongly "pro-smoothies" - still love both.....

How did your groomer do this - clipping, scissors, hand-stripping??

Offline Saffie

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2006, 02:24:54 PM »
Mainly thinning scissors and a tiny bit of shaving under the chin but couldnt do too much as I didnt want her back touched due to her being 'scalped' last time I took her to another groomers (they more or less gave her a buzz cut and I ended up with a white dog with black dots).