Author Topic: Help Please...........  (Read 1283 times)

Offline Sue67

• Site Member
Help Please...........
« on: January 03, 2007, 02:54:24 PM »
After our recent adventures at the groomers which I'm sure you've all read about and commented, I've decided to have a go at keeping Indy tidy.

Myself and the OH tag team had a go at trimming her back legs, the feathering was OK but with the wet weather I thought it would be better if it was shorter, I had her in an armlock around the waist because she wouldn't stand up, whilst OH kept the other end busy with a bag of treats - talk about squirming and wriggling! The end result was tidier but now she won't let me brush her legs.

She had some tangles in her chest hair, which I unfortunately discovered by getting the comb tangled with them and now she won't let me brush her chest.

I've done the rubber band through the comb and she hates it, takes one look and scarpers.  >:D

The only part of her I can groom without a struggle is the top of her head, her poodle perm - yes, the topknot is still there, for now.

I've tried standing her on the table and she hated it, keeps trying to jump off.

Any suggestions as to how to get her to cooperate so I can groom her on my own?  :huh:

It's suddenly turned into a titanic struggle which Indy wins every time, even when she was little she didn't really like being brushed, now it's turned into a major issue.

Offline Mollie.Ladie

• Site Member
  • Mmmm I love cockers!
Re: Help Please...........
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2007, 04:16:52 PM »
I dont groom Mollie but will be starting this year on it because I was upset with the groomer last time.  I have, however trimmed her nails and without a steady flow of treats Mollie refuses to be good.  I also make sure to rub her belly as she really enjoys this.  Maybe scratching her and giving her treats will make her feel a bit better about being handled and groomed.  The only OTHER option is to buy a grooming table and I'm guessing that that would be a bit too much money..sorry I'm not much help but I'll be looking forward to any other advice because I need it too! :lol:
Mollie&Christina

*Love at first sight.!

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2007, 04:46:22 PM »
I got Fern used to the brush after every walk as she needed the burrs taken out of her ears (don't know how but she managed to find some today as well ::))

Now Fern settles down in front of the fire in the evening and I just brush her then, and trimmed her rear end the other night too, she didn't bat an eye until I tried to turn her over and it was greeted with 'I'm comfy on this side leave me alone' ::) So I had a half done rear end and left it till the following night when she was on the other side. ;)

Can I ask did you leave her at the groomers or did you stay? Just wondered if the groomer has frightend her hence making it harder for you now.

(you can use an ironing board as a cheap version of a grooming table, if she'll stand for you on that)

Offline Sue67

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2007, 05:11:25 PM »
Can I ask did you leave her at the groomers or did you stay? Just wondered if the groomer has frightend her hence making it harder for you now.

(you can use an ironing board as a cheap version of a grooming table, if she'll stand for you on that)

I left her with the groomer, I don't think that's the problem, it's just something she doesn't enjoy, she especially hates having her feet dried and will try and bite my hands whist I'm doing it.

I don't think the ironing board will be an option after her reaction to being on the table is anything to go by.

She' such a little monkey, I just know I'm going to end up with a scrag-bag forever, no COL meet-ups for us, too ashamed of my bag lady dog!  ;)

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2007, 05:24:35 PM »
Myself and the OH tag team had a go at trimming her back legs, the feathering was OK but with the wet weather I thought it would be better if it was shorter, I had her in an armlock around the waist because she wouldn't stand up, whilst OH kept the other end busy with a bag of treats - talk about squirming and wriggling! The end result was tidier but now she won't let me brush her legs.

She had some tangles in her chest hair, which I unfortunately discovered by getting the comb tangled with them and now she won't let me brush her chest.

It's suddenly turned into a titanic struggle which Indy wins every time, even when she was little she didn't really like being brushed, now it's turned into a major issue.

From your description, it sounds as if you may have overdone it and put her off the grooming process......I'm not sure I would want to repeat an experience that involved an armlock around my waist  :005:

You could try little and often....first, keep popping her on the table for a few seconds throughout the day and then get her straight down again - giving her treats if you want, so that she stops associating the table with the grooming  ;) Then, gradually introduce the brush - one stroke at first and then reward and stop grooming, gradually build up the time and then and do the same with the comb and scissors  ;)

It took me a year to de-sensitise Molo to scissors after one traumatic experience at the vets; so take it slowly and eventually, she will begin to enjoy it  ;)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2007, 09:55:30 PM »
It is very very easy to make a dog hate being groomed and not so easy to put it right again.

But fear not you can make it better by being more patient and jollying her on. Have lots of yummy treats - cheese, sausage, bits of chicken etc and take it very slowly. Take just a few brush strokes - don't worry about getting tangles etc out, and then lots of "good girl" and a treat. Then more strokes and "good girl" and a a treat etc. Only brush for a few minutes then let her go. Repeat this until you have restored her confidence all the while gradully building up the time between treats, never stop the praise though, and also increase the pressure so you can remove tangles etc.

This is the general principle and should make things better but it will take time and won't happen overnight. The trick is to make grooming a pleasurable experience ;)

hth
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline DennyK

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2007, 06:04:23 PM »
What do you do about the tangles in the meantime?  Genuinely not meant facetiously - but Pads isn't wild about grooming - used to love it, would snuggle up all waggy and happy, then fall asleep while being Coat King'ed - now I use a comb and slicker brush, he isn't so keen.  When I backed off and used your method, Pammy, I found Pads had developed bloody awful mats in his armpits/groin and round his "bits".  So trying to get those out (even with mat splitter, scissors and some detangling spray) was a horrid, slow job over several sessions and just put me back to square one.....He's now fine with head and back, but back leg starts scrabbling at me if I go near his chest and he cries if I'm near his bits even if I only run the comb over the surface so it doesn't snag....

Denise

Offline LouiseH

• Site Member
  • Lourisma Moon Quest
    • Lourisma Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2007, 08:57:43 PM »
Start with 10 mins cuddle grooming in front of the TV. Lots of cuddles and a soft brush on her tummy, build it up over time and she will learn to love it. Eventually you can progress to a table if you need to.
Louise Harrison
Lourisma Cocker Spaniels