Author Topic: Hand stripping - How often?  (Read 699 times)

Offline AnnieM

• Site Member
  • Jazmin
Hand stripping - How often?
« on: January 16, 2007, 11:27:39 AM »
OK, Amber has been stripped out, Jades is coming slowly but surely a bit at a time.  My question is, once they have been stripped out, is it an ongoing process of stripping a bit here and ther when you see it or do you leave them and say, do them again in a couple of months?  Sorry to be a bit dense on this one, but I have heard people say they need stripping again, but I have also heard that once done they may never need doing again.   :huh:
Thanks in advance.

**DALEMSTAR COCKERS**

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Re: Hand stripping - How often?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2007, 12:35:10 PM »
It depends on the coat really - if you have a dog with a non-trim coat (flat & silky with sparse feathering) then little stripping may be needed once the puppy fluff is out (apart from the top knot ;)). You tend to see these type of coats on some orange roans & golds. However dogs with thicker coats tend to need regular ongoing stripping - I prefer to do my own dogs little and often but with dogs that come for grooming, it's done at longer intervals (8 weeks or so). You'll find it easier to keep on top of the coat if you opt for the "little and often" approach, then it never becomes too much of a chore.
Jane

Offline AnnieM

• Site Member
  • Jazmin
Re: Hand stripping - How often?
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2007, 01:59:30 PM »
Thanks for that Jane.  :D  Amber is a red,  her coat is now stripped and I really don't think it will need much doing to it now, Jade on the other hand is black with a thicker coat (although not as thick as some I have seen on here) so I will just have to keep plucking away at her.   :shades:

**DALEMSTAR COCKERS**