Author Topic: OH - MY - GOD!  (Read 10870 times)

Penel

Re: OH - MY - GOD!
« Reply #75 on: December 29, 2006, 12:46:58 PM »
I would never trim whiskers off - they use them.... tisn't as if they use a topknot for anything is it, apart from maybe a cushion if they are doing a headstand  :lol:

Offline sarahp

• Site Member
« Reply #76 on: December 29, 2006, 01:23:51 PM »
. tisn't as if they use a topknot for anything is it

they do they do they do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   They use 'em for looking gorgeous and covering funny shaped heads  - well Daisy does anyway  ;)
Sarah & The Roan Rangers - Daisy Dog & Dill Boy

The average dog has one request to all humankind. Love me

Offline Cathy

• Site Member
« Reply #77 on: December 29, 2006, 01:32:59 PM »
I would never trim whiskers off - they use them.... tisn't as if they use a topknot for anything is it, apart from maybe a cushion if they are doing a headstand  :lol:
ha  :lol: :lol:
CATHY

'A dog may be the only opportunity a human has to choose a relative.' -- Mordecai Siegal

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
« Reply #78 on: December 29, 2006, 01:38:41 PM »

:lol: I once read this on a list of doggie Do's and Don'ts ...

"DON'T trim your dog's whiskers. Dogs use their whiskers to determine the size of their head, which is important when they are out shopping for a new hat."

But as my dogs don't have topknots they don't need hats, so they don't need whiskers either.  :blink:

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #79 on: December 29, 2006, 02:05:50 PM »
I would never trim whiskers off - they use them....

What for? Billy's groomer trims his right off. I've heard of cats using them but not dogs  :D

Offline Sarah.H

• Site Member
  • charlie
« Reply #80 on: December 29, 2006, 02:43:04 PM »

:lol: I once read this on a list of doggie Do's and Don'ts ...

"DON'T trim your dog's whiskers. Dogs use their whiskers to determine the size of their head, which is important when they are out shopping for a new hat."

But as my dogs don't have topknots they don't need hats, so they don't need whiskers either.  :blink:

:rofl1: :rofl1:

Millie

Offline happydog

• Site Member
  • Run free, my Beautiful Bella 2005-2017
« Reply #81 on: December 29, 2006, 05:46:32 PM »
I would never cut whiskers either  :blink: .
happydog

Whatever today brings, ensure that you make some good memories

Offline kate.s

• Site Member
    • Ghost Tours UK
« Reply #82 on: December 30, 2006, 01:55:33 PM »
Just caught up with this thread and I agree with the people that say the top knot has to go.

Sam gets a top knot and looks so much better without it but it does make them look rather seal like with the whiskers, they are soooo cute.

On the subject of facial hair, the last time we went to the groomers I liked Sam's haircut very much but they did do something completely unforgivable.....they cut his eye lashes  :o :o :o
Love Kate and Sam xxx

Penel

« Reply #83 on: December 30, 2006, 04:37:46 PM »
Haven't you ever seen a dog using their whiskers - I shall have to get a video of Lola using hers.  If I put my hand towards her mouth, all her whiskers move towards my hand...they "feel" with them, like cats do.... you shouldn't cut them off tsk tsk.  And just to prove I'm right, in case anyone was doubting me  :005:
http://www.tamu.edu/tamunews/News/stories/05/090105news-3.html
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20061218120433AAJ8l5i

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
« Reply #84 on: December 30, 2006, 06:01:23 PM »

If I thought the whiskers served much of purpose I wouldn't trim them - can't say I think those links put forward a very convincing case though.  :lol: For cats maybe but not dogs.

Has anyone ever seen a dog not carry on putting it's head into a tight space because their whiskers touch the sides ? I haven't - they tend to just keep on pushing and pushing.  :lol: Only one of my dogs has ever got their head stuck anywhere - Misty when her ball rolled through some narrow railings. She had really long whiskers back then - if she got any messages from them she paid absolutely no attention. If anything brushes past our hair we react - doesn't stop us getting haircuts - dogs react too if you touch their hair endings - doesn't stop us chopping off their topknots.  :lol: I don't think it plays any significant part in sense or scenting either - their noses, jowlels and wafting ears are what they rely on. Lack of whiskers has never stopped my 3 sniffing out fox poo, KFC bones and piles of vomit from a mile off.  :lol:

Dogs whiskers - as much use as a one legged man at an ar*e kicking contest.  :lol:

Offline wend

• Site Member
« Reply #85 on: December 30, 2006, 06:30:43 PM »

If I thought the whiskers served much of purpose I wouldn't trim them - can't say I think those links put forward a very convincing case though.  :lol: For cats maybe but not dogs.

Has anyone ever seen a dog not carry on putting it's head into a tight space because their whiskers touch the sides ? I haven't - they tend to just keep on pushing and pushing.  :lol: Only one of my dogs has ever got their head stuck anywhere - Misty when her ball rolled through some narrow railings. She had really long whiskers back then - if she got any messages from them she paid absolutely no attention. If anything brushes past our hair we react - doesn't stop us getting haircuts - dogs react too if you touch their hair endings - doesn't stop us chopping off their topknots.  :lol: I don't think it plays any significant part in sense or scenting either - their noses, jowlels and wafting ears are what they rely on. Lack of whiskers has never stopped my 3 sniffing out fox poo, KFC bones and piles of vomit from a mile off.  :lol:

Dogs whiskers - as much use as a one legged man at an ar*e kicking contest.  :lol:

Have to agree with you there, if they all paid attention to their whiskers any dog with a 'claire bowl' wouldn't eat. Could you imagine a cocker not eating? I did wonder if they would feel anything when they had them trimmed but I have been told it doesn't hurt. It never stopped Harvey sticking his head through the cat flap either.

Offline *-Nikki-*

• Site Member
    • www.nicibec-cockers.moonfruit.com
« Reply #86 on: December 30, 2006, 07:18:58 PM »
topknots and whiskers aren't seen ere :lol: ...can't stand either, both should only be seen on rather cute puppies  :luv: :luv: :005:

Offline lolajays

• Site Member
  • Little miss Maudie pants and the beautiful Alice!
« Reply #87 on: December 30, 2006, 08:01:16 PM »
I worried when I had Maudie done before xmas they look so different but ive got used to it!  I did ask for her tuft to be thinned tho.

Tracey, Maudie and Alice x

Offline silkstocking

• Site Member
« Reply #88 on: December 30, 2006, 10:11:02 PM »
'fraid we loose the whiskers here too Penel ph34r ph34r

Penel

« Reply #89 on: December 31, 2006, 12:49:35 AM »
'fraid we loose the whiskers here too Penel ph34r ph34r

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :'(