Author Topic: DIY grooming  (Read 4829 times)

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
DIY grooming
« on: March 31, 2007, 01:10:36 PM »
Had another hack at Jaspers front legs this morning as they are more resembling a shire horse than feathers.  Think I will wait for my new scissors before I do too much more as they don't cut that well. Also had a go at his bid and head and he was happier with me going round his face today so didn't do too much.

I need to tackle his back legs and more round the paws but can you give me a few more points what I should do, eg what about the body coat?

He was clipped quite significantly after we had him and thought it was too much and he is castrated so don't know how much this has affected the way the coat curls and bare in mind he is pet, not going to be shown but I would like to look like a cocker spaniel.....

Honest comments please

this was after groomers last year

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline DennyK

• Site Member
    • http://
Re: DIY grooming
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2007, 04:19:11 PM »
Honestly?  I think he looks miles better after you did him: really don't like the head in the post-groomer photo.  But in terms of tips - I have none - Paddy has black hair so it hides the hacking I have to do - and I'm delighted to report that Michele is going to groom him in a couple of weeks' time.

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2007, 04:34:53 PM »
I think you did a much better job than the groomer!

The only thing I might consider doing, after you get your new scissors, would be to lightly thin out the two white bits on his side that are curving forward. That will give him a waistline.

He looks great, be proud!  :shades:
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline Joelf

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2007, 05:18:15 PM »
I have no tips to give (I 'fiddle' around with Domino myself but wouldn't like to advise anyone else!! ph34r) but I do think Jasper looks so much better after you did him than he did after the groomers effort! ;)

Another reason that I don't allow someone else to trim my dog; if I muck it up it's down to me!! :shades:
Jo, Domino (cocker) & Spike (black lab.)

Offline Max X 2

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2007, 05:22:23 PM »
I know nothing about grooming, but he certainly looks lovely & if he was mine I'd be very proud & if I'd groomed him like that myself I'd be very proud.  Well Done.
Maxine owned by Max & Harry

Offline lexi

• Site Member
    • Spaniel Photos
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2007, 06:20:02 PM »
I think you did a much better job than the groomer!
Absolutely!

After several negative experiences with groomers with our very first cocker - poor Capi got clipped! We were ignorant in those days - we decided to start doing the grooming ourselves.
I like to keep the fur on the legs at its natural length but trim their paws to look like a"Katzenpfoten" (cat's paw as it's called in the spaniel world here).

Holly has been spayed and I do notice a slight difference in her fur - it used to be somewhat silkier - but it's still more than "manageable" as Jasper's seems to be.
"Always be a little kinder than necessary." J.M. Barrie
Lexi, Mac, Shadow & Galak (with Holly & Byron in our hearts)

Offline waisis

• Site Member
  • Mr. Big Paws
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2007, 04:20:06 AM »
I think Jasper's fur looks beautiful on his back!  Seems to be lying flat and very natural looking :D.  Bailey's neutered and his fur looks nothing like that...more like weird fluff and that's after being coat-kinged.
Bailey and Mom

Offline Penelope

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2007, 07:54:22 AM »
I am totally inexperienced cos haven't got my cocker yet, but I definitely think Jasper looks much better after you did him than the post groomer pic.  He is gorgeous  :luv:
We collect Buffy on Wednesday so have no idea about grooming a cocker yet - will be coming to you for advice once she needs trimming! :005:
I would definitely say keep on doing it the way you are doing it!
Oh and post more pix cos he is adorable
Penny,   Dexter (cavalier x poodle), Alfie (Whippet cross)  and  Maximus the cocker spaniel!!

RIP my 2 most gorgeous cocker girls - Buffy and Harriet - both waiting for me at the bridge. Joined by my beloved Josie taken too soon and Suki aged 13 :(

Offline mandy

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2007, 02:19:24 PM »
hi jenny completely agree with whats been said,you have done a fantastic job and he looks gorgeous :luv: :luv: :luv:

RIP Toby love and miss you every day xx

1/7/95 to 20/8/2012

Offline Elisa

• Site Member
  • Double Trouble
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2007, 03:27:30 PM »
I'm no expert but you have done a fantastic job.  Well done  ;)  :luv: 

I know everyone likes different things but I really don't like the way his legs have been done in the post-groomer pic  :-\
Elisa, Bailey & Harvey  xxx

Offline sportsmonki

• Site Member
  • Storm
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2007, 03:31:14 PM »
He looks fab after you have groomed him!  Well Done.  IMO much better than what the groomer did.You've done a great job on the feathering on his legs.

I think when I got the thinning scissors back I'd be tempted to try blend around the tops (on front and side) of his front legs in with his body hair a bit more, and possibly use the thinning scissors to take a bit more from the head/moustache, under the neck and down the back of his back legs (from the hock down).

But...he looks great as his is, and those suggestions are only based on the 'style' I prefer Storm to be trimmed in  :D  

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2007, 05:18:16 PM »
Thank you to all for their kind comments, was going to have another go but going to wait till the new scissors arrive.

Will post new piccie when done.  I tend to look at him and think he has way too much coat but that's probable because most of the cockers I meet round here seem to have been shaved!

He is a big dog and the hair makes him look much fatter than he really is, especially with the bits that curve all over the place.

I think I need to tidy his ears too, any thoughts on trimming the edges and insides?

Offline lexi

• Site Member
    • Spaniel Photos
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2007, 05:48:49 PM »
I don't trim the edges of the ears. I do,however, trim the insides first with hairdresser's scissors (extremely carefully!) and then finish off with thinning scissors.

Have you stripped him? I just started doing Holly's head and back about a year ago and got some tips from a good groomer - now that I've found one after all these years I don't need one. :lol: (Although I might take Mac in to have his puppy fluff stripped, that's always a big job for an amateur like me.)

Our dogs, like yours, are first and foremost pets. They get groomed once a week and sometimes get a quick brush in between depending on how many "souvenirs" they bring home from their walks in the woods. ;)

"Always be a little kinder than necessary." J.M. Barrie
Lexi, Mac, Shadow & Galak (with Holly & Byron in our hearts)

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2007, 07:08:51 PM »
I am totally inexperienced cos haven't got my cocker yet, but I definitely think Jasper looks much better after you did him than the post groomer pic.  He is gorgeous  :luv:
We collect Buffy on Wednesday so have no idea about grooming a cocker yet - will be coming to you for advice once she needs trimming! :005:
I would definitely say keep on doing it the way you are doing it!
Oh and post more pix cos he is adorable

For you Penny, there is another on Particolours

Offline mandy

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2007, 11:42:38 PM »
oh jenny
jasper is one handsome boy please send him to me,piper said she would love to meet him :luv: :luv: :luv:

RIP Toby love and miss you every day xx

1/7/95 to 20/8/2012