Author Topic: No bathing :0(  (Read 5370 times)

Offline Mary

• Global Moderator
No bathing :0(
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2003, 10:06:42 PM »
Yes Michelle, you are not alone.  Lottie reacted much like this to begin with, she cried and struggled throughout her bath (which was done in the sink when she was tiny).

Persevere.  Lottie now goes in the bath and I use the shower on her and she is OK.  I can't say she enjoys it but she makes no fuss and is just happier once it's over ;)

I use tepid water, talk to her constantly (or sing ;D) and reassure her that she's being a good girl and give her a few kisses :D  I think using the shower is quicker and more effective than rinsing and therefore is over with much quicker ;)                    
Mary & Lottie x

Offline PennyB

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2003, 12:48:50 AM »
Mary, Am glad someone else is just as mad. I tend to tell Ruby how beautiful she is throughout the whole process and just jabber on to her. Its amazing how well it works—cockers always seem to love compliments :D

Shower attachment works very well here as well—gets rid of soap quicker.

Only real problem I have is that Ruby gets too hyper running around afterwards (have to put puppy in pen so she doesn't bowl him over too many times and let her confidence spill over and go too far).                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2003, 09:16:30 AM »
Both mine do the hyper thing too immediately after having a bath  ::)  ;D                    

Offline Jen

• Site Member
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2003, 12:36:00 PM »
ever since monty started cocking his leg he has needed more regular baths.......obviously the male ability NOT to aim straight extends to dogs too :-X ::) - after a bath - he has a loopy session - which has, during the summer, included rolling around in the boarders in the garden.....making him almost need another bath ::)                    
Jen & Monty xx

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2003, 01:24:20 PM »
obviously the male ability NOT to aim straight extends to dogs too :-X ::)

oi, watch it...  ;D                    

Offline Mary

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2003, 01:45:02 PM »
- after a bath - he has a loopy session - which has, during the summer, included rolling around in the boarders in the garden.....making him almost need another bath ::)

Yep....same here ::)  I carry her downstairs wrapped in a towel, close all doors (now restrict her to 2 rooms only ;)) and when the coast is clear I release her...she's like a greyhound out of a trap ::) ;D                    
Mary & Lottie x

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2003, 02:07:01 PM »
I carry her downstairs wrapped in a towel,

Thats exactly what i do...but as usual she ALWAYS needs to go and do a wee and runs to the back door  :-X last night i let her out after her bath and the next door neighbour was bringing in his washing...Buttons flew outside like a nutter wee'd barking her head off...then pooed barking her head off and then ran around the garden at a million miles an hour...my neighbour just looked and went  :o :o
"It's perfectly normal behaviour"  i said  :-X ;D
Somehow don't think he believed me  ;)

Gilly                    

Offline Loraine

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2003, 04:12:43 PM »
I used to hate bathing my two but now it's not so bad.  The first time I bathed Candy was a joke!  The key for me is to be prepared and have everything I need BEFORE they get wet.  So the extension lead and hair drier is all set up with all the brushes, comb and extra towels on the table.  After I've taken them out of the bath, I have even more towels folded in the sink which I rest them on to dry them off some more without having to bend over in the bath (saves my back!) and then they're semi dry before going downstairs. (Does that make sense?)

Also I've found that the water needs to be quite warm.  I had it tepid originally but when I turned it up they seemed to relax more and stop squirming.  Singing worked with Candy but Georgia seemed slightly unnerved poor little thing!  ::)

I wouldn't say they enjoy it as such but it's certainly not as traumatic as it was at the beginning.

L x  :)                    
Loraine and Candy xxxx

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2003, 05:26:42 PM »
Gosh Loraine, I wish I was that organised...........bath time is a bit chaotic here. ::)

I bathed both Jimmy and Misty the other day and the sight of them tearing about together afterwards was hysterical, god knows what the neighbours thought was going on. My main problem with Jimmy is the tug of war with the towel after I've dried him.........a nice warm shower and then he seems to have a bit of love action in mind ! ::) ;D

The first time I bathed Misty was a real struggle, she seemed to think I'd had enough of her and was trying to drown her........she screeched like a seagull ! This time I sang to her and it seemed to do the trick. My tuneless rendition of You Lost That Loving Feeling left her in a stunned silence ! Looking something like this..... :o ! ;D                    

Offline Mary

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2003, 07:03:51 PM »

My main problem with Jimmy is the tug of war with the towel after I've dried him.........a nice warm shower and then he seems to have a bit of love action in mind ! ::) ;D

I have the same problem with Lottie....can never quite work that one out ???                    
Mary & Lottie x

Anonymous

« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2003, 05:06:42 PM »
;DAwwww Indie is okish in the bath, but she takes ages to blowdry, sits there like lady muck she does ;D

Emma                    

Offline Donzer

• Site Member
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2003, 05:51:53 PM »
I was dreading bathing Molly - when she was a pup I used to put her in the sink in the utility room and there would be mud and water absoutely everywhere and I needed a bath after I had finished.  So putting her in even MORE water seemed a bit daunting.

However, I was really surprised as she acted really calm and she was fine.   :o   I put her in my shower and just used the shower head which she really liked!     :D

She even let me use the hairdryer on her which was a big achievement considering she runs away from it every morning.

I do like to see her all fluffy after her baths - her hair just bounces about like those Busbies on the guards at Buckingham palace  ;D ;D                    

Offline Sophie

• Site Member
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2003, 08:43:24 PM »
Hi

Have just read through these posts and would agree with all that bathing a Cocker on a regular basis is a must!  

Sophie will roll in Fox, Horse, Badger, Rabbit, or any other animals poo!!!! :-X

We live in the country surrounded by farm land so she has lots of opportunity to get herself in a mess and will never miss one ;D

She loves the hairdryer, but has a mad few minutes afterwards, tearing around the house rubbing herself on the carpets.  Guess she feels the need to get her old smell back.

Steve